• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chillin' in Manitoulin

Kerry Beal

From Kerry's description, I believe she is squeezing it out through the cut end, I initially presumed it was the tassel end. Smithy it sounds like you're heading towards the tassel end as well.

p

No, definitely toward the cut end. That part is 'intuitively obvious', as my profs like to say, once you see it cut, but thanks for the suggestion.

Others have answered about cutting just above the bottom layer of kernels. As far as heat goes, I use those dishwashing gloves to handle them. You can get a good grip. Also - I've found that you need to wiggle the ear back and forth a bit. Kind of waving it in the air cut side down.

I hadn't thought of dangling and waving it like that. Thanks for the tip.

For those who haven't seen the initial discussion, here's a link to the topic: Simple Trick to Cook Corn on the Cob. Apologies to Kerry for such a protracted discussion. We now return to her Chillin'...

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

IMG_1253.jpg

Stopped in at the grocery store on the way home from work - it's fall - half the stuff you want isn't there. Sadly supermarket eggs - the nurse practitioner who has hens is off on maternity leave and is in Sudbury for meetings. I need to work on my connections and get some good ones before I come home.

IMG_1254.jpg

Pie pumpkin almost ready to head to the steam oven.

• Like 3

Stopped at the LCBO hoping to get a bottle of limoncello - "we used to have it - didn't sell - so now we don't carry it".  Apparently it sells in Espanola - 3 brands - but I wasn't prepared for an hour's drive just to get it. So figured I'd make my own.

IMG_1255.jpg

Microplaned zest of 4 lemons and part of a lime.

IMG_1256.jpg

250 ml of about 120 proof spirit.

IMG_1257.jpg

Into the ultrasonic - 10 minutes worth about 2 weeks of aging.

IMG_1258.jpg

Can you see the U/S action going on in there?

• Like 7

Stopped at the LCBO hoping to get a bottle of limoncello - "we used to have it - didn't sell - so now we don't carry it".  Apparently it sells in Espanola - 3 brands - but I wasn't prepared for an hour's drive just to get it. So figured I'd make my own.

attachicon.gifIMG_1255.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1256.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1257.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1258.jpg

Now that is a cool gadget.

attachicon.gifIMG_1262.jpg

Enjoying a Paper Plane

attachicon.gifIMG_1263.jpg

with some roasted pumpkin seeds

YUM.  Good idea.  I think I'll open one of my smaller pumpkins and roast some.  What seasoning did you use?  I like it simple.  Salt.  I have some smoked olive oil that I might use, too......

• Like 1

I had no idea that ultrasonic agitation could hasten the aging of a liqueur. Why does it work? Is it peculiar to lemoncello?  What other cool food-related things could I do with one of those gadgets?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

You do what I do -leave some of the goo on resulting in the darker color and extra flavor ;)

I tend to brine mine in super salty water versus just surface salt. I was interested to hear that the seed vendor at my FM does the same.

• Like 1

I had no idea that ultrasonic agitation could hasten the aging of a liqueur. Why does it work? Is it peculiar to lemoncello?  What other cool food-related things could I do with one of those gadgets?

No idea how it works - just that it does. Works even with liquor that doesn't have any stuff in it - smooths it out. 

• Like 2

You do what I do -leave some of the goo on resulting in the darker color and extra flavor ;)

I tend to brine mine in super salty water versus just surface salt. I was interested to hear that the seed vendor at my FM does the same.

Oh, yeah, the goo is the best part!!!  I leave as much as I can possibly leave.  Good idea to brine.  I guess it takes a bit longer for them to crisp up, or do you take them out of the brine and let them dry out for a while?

attachicon.gifIMG_1255.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1256.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1257.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1258.jpg

Is Ultrasonic better than Sous Vide infusion?  I do not have Ultrasonic but it should not be too difficult to find in thrift store or at a garage sale.

Is Ultrasonic better than Sous Vide infusion?  I do not have Ultrasonic but it should not be too difficult to find in thrift store or at a garage sale.

At home I have a big heated ultrasonic - that's the best of both worlds.

IMG_1264 (1).jpg

Strained and filtered

IMG_1265 (1).jpg

Added simple syrup - now back into the ultrasonic for a few more cycles to finish it off

IMG_1266 (1).jpg

Pumpkin through the food mill - next time I won't leave the shell on

Ate another bowl of pumpkin seed - don't think there will be any dinner tonight!

• Like 4

I need to get a food mill.  

Oh yes you do - they are the best! This one is a Rösle - just like the one I have at home - but I only paid a few bucks for it at a thrift store. One of my more impressive finds!

• Like 1

Oh yes you do - they are the best! This one is a Rösle - just like the one I have at home - but I only paid a few bucks for it at a thrift store. One of my more impressive finds!

If you recommend that model, that's what I'll get.

The one I have is an older one thought - seem to recall MJX has the same - let me see if I can find it for you online.

Here is the one I have. Their newer one looks great too here and seems to be getting excellent reviews. Makes sure you get the smallest blade for it - gets seeds out of all sorts of stuff.

• Like 1

The one I have is an older one thought - seem to recall MJX has the same - let me see if I can find it for you online.

Here is the one I have. Their newer one looks great too here and seems to be getting excellent reviews. Makes sure you get the smallest blade for it - gets seeds out of all sorts of stuff.

Ok, thank you so much!!!!  I will order one tomorrow.  I've been wanting one forever and have just never done it.  Happy birthday to me lol :)

Enjoying a little drizzle of limoncello over ice - yum! Wish I had some ice cream in the house.

Me too.

I bet homemade limoncello is sooooo much better than the one taste I had of store bought.  I didn't care for it.  Tasted....chemically ...if that's a word.

• Like 2

Chemically taste seems to be the biggest objection to most commercial limoncello as far as I can tell. I can only imagine how much better this would be made with some really fabulous lemons. 

• Like 2

I tried cleaning pumpkin seeds and could not get rid of all the slime. Is there an easy way to do this?

Not that I know of!

Maybe the ultrasonic bath would work to get the goo off  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Enjoying a little drizzle of limoncello over ice - yum! Wish I had some ice cream in the house.

That's what I had for dessert last night - limoncello over vanilla ice cream.  Mmmmm! 

• Like 1

When you come back across the border you can purchase 190 proof Clear Springs. Then just dilute it down to what you need using the magic equation C1V1=C2V2. And they said we'd never need algebra when we got out of school!

• Like 5