• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chillin' in Manitoulin

Kerry Beal

I also think that sandwich looks lovely. Is that rye bread? What bread would you have preferred for that sandwich?

I'm looking forward to seeing what you get up to during your visit this fall. I hope the silences aren't too protracted due to a heavy workload. :-)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

IMG_1236.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

Here's the bread - it's a white bread with some whole rye and a rye sour. Stays nice and moist for days - but toasts up too crisp for a sandwich. I'd prefer just the squidgy 12 grain bread I use for most other stuff.

It is however the perfect bread for the brisket sandwich that I will make later today untoasted.

• Like 5

"Rye sour" = rye-based sourdough?

eta: I've had brisket on the brain lately. I'm looking forward to shots of your sandwich!

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

DSCN5984.jpg

Rounds this am - promised Roy cheese biscuits

IMG_1238.jpg

Of course QC is paramount - the one with the most melty cheese bits with butter and red pepper jelly.

• Like 11

"Rye sour" = rye-based sourdough?

eta: I've had brisket on the brain lately. I'm looking forward to shots of your sandwich!

Yup - rye flour based sourdough.

DSCN5986.jpg

DSCN5987.jpg

I actually had to run back to the grocery store - apparently it's not safe to leave mustard in the fridge - there is a limit to the amount of stuff I want to pack away between trips.

So my brisket sandwich. Very satisfactory!

• Like 9

Kudos your way

Ive got invoked in induction from The Lunch Ladies  Both

and indeed I have that same  'hob' or 'burner'

Amazon left this alone

now it's Twice the cost

so thanks to Both of You

I do like what I have

• Like 1

DSCN5992.jpg

Terrible Love - for which I brought up the Suze and Mezcal.

Watched Luke Nguyen make Masterstock Crispy Skin Chicken. Julia Child is now making Ham dinner.  

Perhaps I'll have a bowl of Kimchi jigae in a while if I feel like it - I've been snacking all day - seem to have ruined my appetite!

• Like 5

Kudos your way

Ive got invoked in induction from The Lunch Ladies  Both

and indeed I have that same  'hob' or 'burner'

Amazon left this alone

now it's Twice the cost

so thanks to Both of You

I do like what I have

I had one induction burner for several years and it worked fine (Supentown) but then I saw the Max Burton with the interface plate and got that specifically to use with my pottery tagines - which worked okay on my stove top but with gas I could not leave the house.  It is so handy for use with non-magnetic cookware.  I can understand why it is useful for Kerry and for you.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

attachicon.gifIMG_1236.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1237.jpg

Here's the bread - it's a white bread with some whole rye and a rye sour. Stays nice and moist for days - but toasts up too crisp for a sandwich. I'd prefer just the squidgy 12 grain bread I use for most other stuff.

It is however the perfect bread for the brisket sandwich that I will make later today untoasted.

I'm a big fan of Rudolph's and have it toasted for brekkers almost every morning.  Haven't tried it toasted for sandwiches -- but that's mostly cuz I'm no fan of toast in sandwiches. :)

I'm a big fan of Rudolph's and have it toasted for brekkers almost every morning.  Haven't tried it toasted for sandwiches -- but that's mostly cuz I'm no fan of toast in sandwiches. :)

Oh yeah - I love it toasted as toast too. Nice and crispy for that. Perfect with a schmear of butter and honey. And it's perfect for a grilled reuben. Somehow though - just not right with the juicy tomatoes. Perhaps it's that the crispy toast rips your palate a bit and the tomatoes are a bit acidic when that happens.

DSCN5993.jpg

Put together some brownies last night - scale not working - not sure if it's a battery issue (have changed them but perhaps the new ones are no good) or if it's dead. Faked it a bit on the amount of chocolate and butter. I suspect they are going to be just fine. It's a very moist dense brownie - not the slightest bit cake like.

DSCN5994.jpg

Started fiddling with the Piteba oil press I brought up with me - made a god awful mess and no cocoa butter so far - but think I have identified a couple of the issues so perhaps today's experiments will be more successful (and less messy).  

• Like 6

I hope you'll favor us with photos of the pressing process and results! More exposition on the issues would be nice, too, if you can do it without smearing your camera. :-)

Since my official photographer is not in attendance I may have some trouble with the photographs - but I will do my best. My plan is to video the process for my website. The 2 ingredient bean to bar guys don't want to add 'foreign' cocoa butter to their product and this is one of my hopes for a method they can use to make their own cocoa butter for use in the EZtemper. The other method involves making a slurry of cocoa liquor in water, then cooking off the water. The mixture splits and the cocoa butter comes out and can be poured off. Hope to video that process too. 

One of Anna's jobs in the video process is to remind me not to swear and use inappropriate language! Given the mess I'm likely to make - that is a very important task.

The problems I think I identified in last nights attempt - not preheating long enough with the spirit lamp before starting the process and using the screw plug in the outflow track. I ended up with a solid plug of cocoa nibs in the waste end - nothing was moving and it was a bitch to clean out! 

• Like 7

So sorry that your official photographer and sidekick is not with you this go round.  Still the good news is that you are definitely not alone with so many of us there for you every day, following your adventures.  And wishing that you would make goodies for us for a week or two... :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Perhaps you could Skype with Anna before (or during) your video recording session so she can add her critical advice to the process, although I am sure that having her there in person would be much more effective.

I am looking forward to seeing how this all goes. New kitchen gadget! Fun!

• Like 1

attachicon.gifIMG_1243.jpg

Corelle - unbreakable right?

Yeah,, unbreakable. That's why my 18 M/O grandson has broken 4, yes 4, Corelle cereal bowls. (He now gets plastic)

eta: check higher-up horizontal surfaces for shards. I have a friend who broke a plate on the floor and found shards on top of the refrigerator.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;