• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chillin' in Manitoulin

Kerry Beal

It's been unseasonably warm here in Southern Ontario - until Thursday morning when we woke to a significant chill in the air. Yesterday was downright cold!

So that means it's time to head north again for my usual couple of weeks of work in Little Current. 

The car is packed (actually overpacked) - though I'm sure I will forget a thing or two - there is a cooler full of odds and ends, a nice chunk of brisket I picked up at Wegmans on Monday, a honking big duck breast, the colcannon I made yesterday that I'm sure hubby won't eat while I'm away, lots of cheese (some smoked), some tomato chutney, red pepper jelly...

Cocktail books include my handwritten favourites and a copy of Death and Company that everyone seems to be making recipes from lately. I'm taking a couple of new bottles I picked up - some mescal, a bottle of Carpano Classico and some Suze for one the cocktails mentioned from Death and Co that I want to try.

I don't think I've packed any regular cookbooks now that I think about it - I may regret that when I arrive. I may be asking for recipes from people as I go along.

I'm taking along the rice wine under construction - inside of the house here is going to smell better, the condo perhaps not so - and a few odds and ends I've been fermenting lately. There's some grape juice fermenting downstairs - but that will be left behind - perhaps it will have finished itself by the time I return.

The fridge and freezer are filled with meals for hubby and rug rat - I'm sure they won't starve while I'm gone.

Not sure if I'll be able to post from the phone as I drive up today - but I shall try.  I'll certainly catch you up when I arrive on the island and get settled in. 

• Like 11

So I will not be joining Kerry this fall on Manitoulin. I have some personal business which I must take care of. I will pop in when I can but there may also be long periods when this is not possible. I hope to return to my former level of activity on eG in the not-too-distant future.

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It won't be the same without you there Anna but I'm still looking forward to seeing what Kerry gets up to. And I won't even attempt to be nosey but I sincerely hope things are back as should be for you quickly and you'll be back with us on a full-time basis soon.

• Like 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Kerry can easily hold her own keeping you all amused. She did a blog from Manitoulin before I had ever been up there! I'll be watching from the sidelines when I can. Please put the spotlight on Kerry.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Yes, you will be missed but wish you the best and hope to see you back soon.  You and Kerry are such a team, Batman and Robin?

Tom and Jerry?  Lone Ranger and Tonto?  Abbot and Costello?  Nope, even better, Kerry and Anna.  Take Care and come back soon.

• Like 3

I kinda liken Anna and Kerry to food :laugh: ......they go together like

peanut butter and jelly

eggs and bacon

I could go on and on  :raz:

I can't wait to see what adventures Kerry can get us in to up there!  That tomato chutney sounds good right now.

I bet the ferry trip is a little chilly!

Ok, I'll shut up now.  :biggrin:

Can you tell I'm excited?

Not taking the ferry today - requires too early a start or heading up to Owen sound the night before and staying over with a friend. Then you have to deal with the refrigerated and frozen food and such which is a pain.

Right now I'm sitting in a little diner called Autumn's Cafe - newly opened - not set up for breakfast yet - having been promised a clubhouse with real turkey and mayo (we had the miracle whip discussion).

Pictures to follow if it is possible.

Noticed a sign for a farmers market - will hit that before I leave town (village).

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 3

image.jpg

here we are - nice fresh cut fries with it - she offered me malt vinegar - after all we are in Canada!

Oops the dreaded sideways picture from the phone

K

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 6

TClub.jpg

is that Mayo on the upper L ?

doesn't seem to be anywhere near enough  

hope there isn't a Mayo Shortage N.of the Border ?

I know where there's Lots !

does look tasty.

I also like malt vinegar and may w fries.

• Like 1

One of my favorite local places makes their own ranch dressing which is out of this world!  They serve it with their French fries which are also the best around, always fresh and dusted with seasoning - crisp.  Love to stop there for a cheeseburger and fries.

• Like 1

here we are - nice fresh cut fries with it - she offered me malt vinegar - after all we are in Canada!

Fresh cut fries, nicely salted, with malt vinegar. A personal favorite that goes back to my childhood. In elementary school, on the rare occasion when I managed to have some money of my own, I would stop at a little place on the way home from school and get fries that I would douse with malt vinegar and eat while walking home.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

attachicon.gifTClub.jpg

is that Mayo on the upper L ?

doesn't seem to be anywhere near enough  

hope there isn't a Mayo Shortage N.of the Border ?

I know where there's Lots !

does look tasty.

I also like malt vinegar and may w fries.

Nope - it's cream and milk - but there were two little squeeze packets of mayo on the side.

""   two little squeeze packets of mayo ""

????

:blink: 

Sooo   you don't travel with your own Personal Bot. of Hellmans ?

they have Squeezy bottles

not for me but   ..............

I learned, long ago when living in my motorhome and traveling a lot, that I could use a little Aerolatte and using a STRAINED egg yolk, make a small batch of mayo in a small jam jar (cleaned of course).  Then I finally got smart and got a larger fridge - I had a 40-ft motorhome and why in hell they put a small fridge/freezer in it to begin with was ridiculous.  Then I could keep plenty of may on hand.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett