• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Codfish dessert

Vasco

You know the famous Nobu black cod marinated in miso dish?  That's pretty damn sweet.  Boost the sugar a little bit in there, and flake the fish out on top of a sweet pastry to look like a tarte tatin.  Blowtorch some sugar on top. 

• Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

...I would love an input from you guys on the concept of the this dessert ...

I'm fine with this as far as I can imaginatively "taste" it. It feels heavy in the mouth with the milk, butter crumble, and olive oil cake. I want enough acidity and salt in there somewhere to balance off the fats and sweetness. The lemon disk is a step in the right direction. I would like it to be sharp and tart, not tart-sweet. Any way to get some crisp white wine in the mix? Maybe in the gelatin? After a fish dinner (& I love fish), I dislike the fishy taste that lingers in my mouth. I want something cleansing and refreshing to finish the meal.

Pls let us know how it goes.

I should point out that in my posts, I have been thinking about the fish as being raw -for the puree and otherwise. My imagining of it with melon would be of a melon cube topped with a small, paper-thin slice of raw fish that had been dragged through a little liquid smoke, then a dash of salt added, this could be done with some other moist fruit that is in season. (late grapes? applesauce?)

I'm fine with this as far as I can imaginatively "taste" it. It feels heavy in the mouth with the milk, butter crumble, and olive oil cake. I want enough acidity and salt in there somewhere to balance off the fats and sweetness. The lemon disk is a step in the right direction. I would like it to be sharp and tart, not tart-sweet. Any way to get some crisp white wine in the mix? Maybe in the gelatin? After a fish dinner (& I love fish), I dislike the fishy taste that lingers in my mouth. I want something cleansing and refreshing to finish the meal.

Pls let us know how it goes.

The hope is that by doing a milk only icecream it is strong in flavor but dissipates quickly on the palate! Maybe incorporating a reduced dry white wine in the gelatin mix for the lemon? I have done olive oil cake where 50ml of the liquid portion is changed by the use of a spirit(used to do olive oil cake with basil/gin mare) maybe incoporating wine here would be a step in the right direction or red sorrel leaves for the tang?

I should point out that in my posts, I have been thinking about the fish as being raw -for the puree and otherwise. My imagining of it with melon would be of a melon cube topped with a small, paper-thin slice of raw fish that had been dragged through a little liquid smoke, then a dash of salt added, this could be done with some other moist fruit that is in season. (late grapes? applesauce?)

Lisa that sounds killer but how to present that as a complete dessert rather than a one bite thing?

Vasco, do you know about 'Buñuelos de Bacalao' (codfish fritters)? 

http://cocinandoentreolivos.blogspot.com.es/2013/03/bunuelos-de-bacalao-receta-paso-paso.html

Maybe you can play with this idea . . . .

This sounds really tasty, and it could be paired with figs and chestnuts (dried ones, cooked in both until it reduces to form a glaze, are amazing), which should be just about in season now (I'm a good bit further north, so I'm not 100% certain, since eeverything is later here).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

...Maybe incorporating a reduced dry white wine in the gelatin mix for the lemon? ...

I like the idea of white wine in the gelatin with the lemon. People can eat bites of the ice milk, cake, butter topping, caramel; then refresh their palate with the lemon-white wine gelatin; then start over again. I've never tried onion caramel, but I would expect it to be vegetal and bitter, not only sweet. I like that touch. I'm not keen on adding sorrel--too many flavors in this dessert, and people's palates start to become confused.

I like the idea of the codfish fritters with honey and dried fruit for dessert. Something acidic in there also. I think that would be the best-tasting option for a fish dessert. But while it would taste good, it's not really high-concept, and I have a feeling you're going to be graded for something fancier and less traditional. Unless your chef-instructor is a fan of Alice Waters' food?

I like Lisa Shock's smoky fish slice on a melon cube--wonderful idea--but not as a dessert. I can see it as an amuse-bouche to start. No other fresh fruit but the melon, and the cube should be sitting in a small pool of sauce. Don't ask me what kind of sauce, I just see it in my mind's eye.

Updating: The dessert has been picked up, thank you all for the help, will do a second update when the dinner service in November happens. Also the menu just got changed from 5 courses of cod to 15, chef is having a blast with this one

• Like 1

Second update: A new addition to the menu probably, a petit four,  savory macaron made with a filling of codfish paired with a smoky romesco sauce made with roasted almonds and finished with lemon powder on the macaron. I have no idea how this came to pass or happen but the result was actually fucking good.

The madness is becoming something normal in the course

• Like 2