• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salad (2011 - 2015)

Fat Guy

Wowee that looks good! I notice you used hazel oil...I'm wondering what a few actual toasted hazel nut pieces would be like tossed into the mix. Must make this immediately!

Yes, that had been the plan..roasted hazelnut pieces scattered on top. But when I went to find the hazelnuts I was sure I had, the gremlins had disapparated them. Likewise the mint I'd been planning to garnish with! Hehe. I did scrounge up a few walnuts in the end though (post photo), which was nice enough.

From a purely aesthetic standpoint, the purple pea shoot flowers knock me back! Rest of it looks pretty wonderful, too. How cool it is when your food is beautiful....

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

That is simply a fantastic looking salad.

I've been photographing all my salads but have been ashamed to post the photos -- they're all the same as the ugly ones I've posted already. I need to break out of my rut.

I thought the most beautiful salads I'd ever seen were at Alain Ducasse's restaurants (I'd hate to work the garde manger station at one of his places). But some of these are giving him a run for his money. I need to post photos of some of his salads. Let me see if there are any in a media gallery that I can get permission for.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I've got an email in to Sonja, the Ducasse representative I've communicated with in the past. I hope she can get me some images.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I roughly grated the beets in this post and dressed with a bit of minced garlic, salt & pepper, fresh squeeze of orange juice, dash of balsamic and Dijon mustard, walnut oil, and a dice of Italian plums. I had originally intended to roast the beets but when I took a knife to them they were so tender I thought I would try my first raw preparation. I have eaten quite a bit while adjusting flavors. The rest will sit overnight and get perhaps some mint and feta and toasted walnuts when served tomorrow.

DSCN1053.JPG

Edited by heidih
forgot the walnut oil (log)

Hi all --

Perfect timing for this thread getting bumped, since I had a really yummy salad for dinner tonight. Mixed spicy greens (arugula, mustard green sprouts, etc), avocado, hard boiled egg, shredded carrot, and homemade pancetta. Dressed with the oil from rendering the pancetta and some lime juice. Husband declared the pancetta oil a major winner.

Salad.JPG

No picture as I assembled it on site and the ladies fell upon it! I picked up some "wild arugula" from Trader Joes. Small leaves and not bitter at all really. A bed of that went into the bottom of a large salad bowl. Chopped tomato, cucumber (from the garden), very thinly sliced (horizontally) raw green beans (farmstand), raw corn kernels from very young farmstand ear, and a few dried cranberries went over the arugula. The dressing was a simple Meyer lemon juice and zest with olive oil and a touch of Dijon and a hint of Rancho Gordo's amazing piloncillo. Salt and pepper as needed. Made some big croutons from a rustic loaf of a sourdough multigrain loaf. Topped the salad with the croutons, some toasted and spiced walnuts and a generous amount of crumbled feta.

Verdict: thoroughly enjoyable. I had never tried the raw green beans and found the green note and the crunch a great mix with the other ingredients. The croutons were a bit too large to spear with a fork but it was a bunch of good friends so fingers were employed.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I have to show off this one. My daughter and some friends caught about a dozen blue crabs the other day near our summer house in Rhode Island. The cupboard is pretty bare, but I did have a couple of peppers; lettuce, red shiso, and johnny jump-ups in the garden; and some garlic and olive oil. The shiso was a nice flavor with the crab. If I had had mayonnaise or the makings thereof, I probably would have used it, but this tasted so light and fresh without it that I'm glad I didn't.

IMG_1024.JPG

• 1 month later...

Inspired by the salad at my favorite burrito place: El Diablo, I came up with a pretty good version of a salad with southwestern influence.

Romaine lettuce mix with carrots and red cabbage

roasted corn & black bean salsa, from Trader Joes

Diced tomatoes

diced avocado

Home made green chile dressing: Mayo, yogurt, serrano pepper, cumin, oregano, ancho, cayenne & garlic

Southwest chicken breast: Bone-in breasts braised in chicken stock, with southwest seasonings. Sauce for chicken made by reducing braising liquid and adding a bit of bbq sauce, tomato paste & chipotle.

Buffalo Mozzarella and home-grown Great White and Green Zebra tomatoes

dcarch

greatwhiteway2.jpg

This is not a salad but a work of Art with a beautiful color tonality and smooth texture.

Can I have a Poster size for my dining room please :cool:

Okay, I have to show off this one. My daughter and some friends caught about a dozen blue crabs the other day near our summer house in Rhode Island. The cupboard is pretty bare, but I did have a couple of peppers; lettuce, red shiso, and johnny jump-ups in the garden; and some garlic and olive oil. The shiso was a nice flavor with the crab. If I had had mayonnaise or the makings thereof, I probably would have used it, but this tasted so light and fresh without it that I'm glad I didn't.

Wow - what an amazing looking salad and great provinance, now all i need is a summer house near Rhode island and i'll be done... ;-)

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

This was Sunday's lunch

Tuna packed in oil with the oil as the base for a lemon dressing, Austrian Crescent Potatoes from the farmers market, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Green Beans, and Radish Curls from my garden

Heartland Gathering 093.jpg

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 5 months later...

Japanese tomatoes, arugula, parmesan, and a micro green mix from my CSA. The micro greens were an intriguing mix of various things that I am not very familiar with, including amaranth, orach, bull's blood (beet greens?), and red shiso.

6884695981_9d74c37d56_z.jpg

Japanese tomatoes, arugula, parmesan, and a micro green mix from my CSA. The micro greens were an intriguing mix of various things that I am not very familiar with, including amaranth, orach, bull's blood (beet greens?), and red shiso.

6884695981_9d74c37d56_z.jpg

Stunning color and intriguing flavors. I have been finding regular shiso to be a stellar salad addition.

Watermelon and kiwi salad

DSCF2804.jpg

Caribbean inspired salad. Red onions need to be soaked in ice water to tone them down

DSCF2480-3.jpg

Avocado and bacon with balsamic vinegar as the dressing

DSCF2442.jpg

Tomatillos salad

DSCF2405.jpg

I got this idea for a salad when I saw Jaques Pepin cut thin strips of cucumber for garnish

DSCF3548-2.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

Oro blanco grapefruit, blood oranges, almonds, pomegranate and avocado salad.

Lovely salad. I riffed on a similar theme last night, with grapefruit, oranges, avocado, and thinly sliced fennel. The dressing was champagne vinegar and a little lemon juice, and blood orange-infused olive oil.

2012-02-25 at 19.00.41.jpg

Oro blanco grapefruit, blood oranges, almonds, pomegranate and avocado salad.

Lovely salad. I riffed on a similar theme last night, with grapefruit, oranges, avocado, and thinly sliced fennel. The dressing was champagne vinegar and a little lemon juice, and blood orange-infused olive oil.

Citrus-based salads are just wonderful. That blood-orange infused olive oil sounds great as well.

I had spinach and English peas in my CSA, so the Baby Spinach, Fresh Pea and Feta Cheese Salad from The Naked Chef by Jamie Oliver immediately came to mind. I blanched the peas very briefly. The dressing is simply olive oil (I used a very aromatic arbequina oil) and lemon juice. I think that this was the first cooking book I bought after moving to the US and discovering his show more than 10 years ago, and I still make some of the recipes.

6802252682_a8560470b8_z.jpg

• 4 months later...

A traditional Caprese last night with heirloom tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella, and very fragrant basil (all from Trader Joe's). Seasoning was Arbequina olive oil, balsamic vinegar (both from TJ as well), black pepper, and fleur de sel.

7595213800_ab30b29ee2_z.jpg

For a less traditional take on the Caprese, see the Mozza thread here.