• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish Identification

liuzhou

9 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

Certainly similar. The size and habitat match  But mine don't have those yellow stripes running across the body. Thanks. I'm beginning to think maybe some sort of shad.

I'll go back to the supermarket tomorrow and see if they have managed to label them or put someone with a brain on duty. It would be something of a first, though!

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I see what you mean and thanks, but that is a freshwater fish native to the Americas. Not sure how they would swim here! I'm also fairly certain that what I saw is a saltwater fish.

Shad are also anadromous eg Hickory Shad and American Shad, which will soon be swimming up eastern US rivers to spawn.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Unlabeled and when I asked the woman womanning the fish station what they were she replied helpfully "fish".

:D :D :D

I understand that was the most unhelpful possible answer and was probably well deserving of your withering stare but I do always appreciate a good smartass answer (yes, those directed at me as well)... even if wasn't intentionally done.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

On 2/13/2017 at 0:10 AM, liuzhou said:

I'll go back to the supermarket tomorrow and see if they have managed to label them or put someone with a brain on duty. It would be something of a first, though!

Well, it took me more than a day to get back. But I was in the same supermarket this morning and spotted that they had the mystery fish again and they had decided to label them. The sign read 黄尾鱼,which means 'yellow tail fish'. That is only slightly more helpful than just 'fish', but with their being literally dozens of fish varieties called yellowtail, I'm no nearer finding out.

But I bought some anyway. When the woman weighed and priced my selection, I noticed that the barcode sticker she printed  read "金丝鱼“ or "gold thread fish". Again this name appears to be given to many different species, none of which look like these.

Whatever they are, they made a nice lunch.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

The bounty of the oceans is absolutely amazing and there are so many species that live there under the water. A few we know well, and so many we don't. I can barely wrap my brain around the species that live near underwater volcanoes, eyeless because of the lack of light, and taking energy from the hot water. Some even ideate that the very origin of life began in these underwater volcanoes. 

I haven't been out to our coast in years, but when I was going out on charter fishing boats, many of the species that came up were familiar, but there were always the outliers. Some so alien-looking, it seemed they could not have originated on this planet! Scientists are still discovering totally new marine species, so I'm not going to beat myself up for not being able to identify a fish. It's still fun to try, though, and I am captivated by a mystery.

We have a strange custom here in NC with charter fishing boats, and I would be interested to hear if it is practiced in other areas. When the fishing day is through; and it starts brutally early before dawn, and the lines are all pulled up, the passengers and fishermen go to upper decks and the deckhands hose down the fishy, bloody lower deck on the way back to port. That's not the strange part, but when we near port the catch is pulled from the ice coolers and hung from rails around the ship like this example from the Captain Stacy boat that operates out or Morehead City, NC at Atlantic Beach. Most of what you see here are red and silver snapper. Often the weather is very hot and the ocean wind is whipping, so this is not the best treatment for extremely perishable raw fish. This process of hanging the fish up is started an hour or more before we come to port, because it takes a while if the catch has been good. When the boats come into port with their catch hung up, I reckon it's good advertising for the charter line, entertainment for the tourists and diners in the portside restaurants, but not the best way to handle raw fish. I've never seen any fisherman protest. I guess they like showing off their fishing prowess.

Has anyone seen this practice elsewhere?

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)

> ^ . . ^ <

15 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

No.  We keep them on ice here 

Much saner, better practice, IMO, but the hanging is pretty widespread at least at Atlantic beach, Morehead City, NC. It can be a spectacular display as the boats come in with their catches and you are lucky enough to be seated for dinner in one of the portside restaurants to see it and then watch the sunset too while enjoying a fabulous seafood meal. :)

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

• 8 months later...

And another.

These are very common here in China; every supermarket has them,  but I've never been able to give them an English name. This chap is 13" (133mm) nose to tail, and weighs 111 grams.

fish.thumb.jpg.ca39fea4ed95bbe6e49bec260bca7ff6.jpg

In Chinese, at least locally, they are 白龙鱼 (bái lóng yú) which literally translated means 'white dragon fish'. Mr. Google and his Chinese counterparts are not helping.

I'm hoping the black spot by the tail may be a help to anyone who is better at fish recognition than me (which is pretty much the population of the planet).

10 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

It looks a bit like the red drum we get in the Gulf of Mexico, I think, but wiki doesn't indicate this species exists in Asia. 

Mine is  a lot smaller and lighter than a red drum and er, not red.

49 minutes ago, catdaddy said:

Yes, red drum. Alternately called spot tailed bass. Commonly farmed.

Can you tell me why the ones here are about a 10th of the size of the ones in every description I can find, aren't red and are on the wrong side of the planet?

Edited by liuzhou (log)

8 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Can you tell me why the ones here are about a 10th of the size of the ones in every description I can find, aren't red and are on the wrong side of the planet?

A glitch in the matrix ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

Wonderful, thank you. That description more closely matches what I have than any other red drum info I found.

Apologies to @Thanks for the Crepes and @catdaddy. The wiki information is up to its usual standard. Misleading.

I'm eating the fellow now and will post my dish later in the Dinner topic.

• Like 1