• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing sous vide duck breast in the fridge

Josh71

Hi,

I did sous vide duck breast, 57C for 1 hour.

And because I want to cook it tomorrow, I am storing it in the fridge, still in the vacuum bag.

But as you can see in the photo, there are kind of "red liquid" in the package.

Is this safe?

Usually I cook right away.

Thanks

IMG_20150928_195826~01.jpg

Edited by Josh71 (log)

I'd have probably done more like 2 hours, myself, just to feel certain everything in the bag is pasteurised.

but seeing some blood and water expressed in the cooking isn't unusual.

you could certainly bring it back to temp in the bag, in the circulator, again before removing and finishing.

• Like 2

I'd have probably done more like 2 hours, myself, just to feel certain everything in the bag is pasteurised.

but seeing some blood and water expressed in the cooking isn't unusual.

you could certainly bring it back to temp in the bag, in the circulator, again before removing and finishing.

Thanks for the feedback. I would do 2 hours next time to get pasteurization. 

My concern about those red-liquid (blood) is that it might affect the flavor, like marinated in blood

Going to sear them this afternoon though, finger crossed :)

Thanks for the feedback. I would do 2 hours next time to get pasteurization. 

My concern about those red-liquid (blood) is that it might affect the flavor, like marinated in blood

Going to sear them this afternoon though, finger crossed :)

Unless your duck was strangled, it is highly doubtful that there is any non-negligible amount of blood left in that breast meat after slaughtering. Those are simply meat juices lost due to cooking.

• Like 1

No problem here with the juices.  Every protein will have them and I usually try and incorporate them into sauce.

Curious that it does not appear you have rendered the fat off the breasts.  If rendered prior to bagging an hour would have been fine.  To do so post-bath you may well overcook them.

Hope to see pics of the final product.

• Like 1

I cook sous vide duck breast exactly one hour at 57C. it is perfectly done.

remove the duck breast from the bag and dry the meat and skin well before crisping.

I like to make little cross hatching in the skin. Cook skin side down in a cast iron pan with no additional fat until skin is rendered. Cook on meat side less than one minute just for color.

IMG_8602.JPG

• Like 2

So let's say I've got some confited duck legs in the fridge. I sous-vided them for about 10 hours at 82 or 83 C. How long (in the fridge) can they be safely stored, since I haven't gotten around to eating them as quickly as I hoped?

I plan on heating them up in the Steam Boy for about 15 minutes before crisping the skin in a frying pan.

Edited by weinoo (log)

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

So let's say I've got some confited duck legs in the fridge. I sous-vided them for about 10 hours at 82 or 83 C. How long (in the fridge) can they be safely stored, since I haven't gotten around to eating them as quickly as I hoped?

I plan on heating them up in the Steam Boy for about 15 minutes before crisping the skin in a frying pan.

I asked this question a long time ago in the original sous vide thread... the answer I got from Douglas Baldwin was that at 82-83C for 10 hours, you can basically leave them in your refrigerator for 90 days, assuming your refrigerator is below 4degC. This is also assuming that the bag stays sealed (meaning it wasn't done in a ziplock bag).

ETA: I also found this link: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/144244-sous-vide-recipes-techniques-equipment-part-2/?p=1488909

ETA (again): I found the Douglas Baldwin response, and he actually said that if your refrigerator was very cold, at that time/temp combination, you could hold the duck indefinitely....

See: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/145382-sous-vide-recipes-techniques-equipment-part-4/?p=1594516

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 2

So, I opened the bag after I let it out in room temperature for about an hour.

Rinsed in tap water, and wiped dry.

Scored the skin, salt and pepper, and seared in a hot pan, skin side down. Transferred the duck oil to a bowl, and I repeat this a few times before flipping it and seared the other side.

It was perfectly pink, sorry I forgot to take a photo, but it's the same like scamhi food photo above :)

I made a quick fruity-tare kind of sauce :P

- 1/8 cup sake, mirin, Japanese soy sauce

- 1 tbsp sugar

- 1 small bottle of black-currant jelly

Mixed and boil all, then finished with about 2 tbsp butter.

Absolutely delicious and I am still alive :)

Reading feedback above, I should include those "red-juice" in the sauce though. Probably next time! :)

Edited by Josh71 (log)

No problem here with the juices.  Every protein will have them and I usually try and incorporate them into sauce.

Curious that it does not appear you have rendered the fat off the breasts.  If rendered prior to bagging an hour would have been fine.  To do so post-bath you may well overcook them.

Hope to see pics of the final product.

Rendered the fat before bagging? Hmm ... never done that before. 

I like searing after sous-vide to render the fat and also crisp-ing the skin :)

And it never over-cooked, the skin is enough to protect the meat during searing so it won't dry over-cooked.

Unless your duck was strangled, it is highly doubtful that there is any non-negligible amount of blood left in that breast meat after slaughtering. Those are simply meat juices lost due to cooking.

meat "juices". that's what I said... water and blood <g>

• Like 1

You are indeed correct.  It should be called the reddish (pinkish?) tinged liquid that is not blood per se but liquid that results from cooking reddish tinged proteins. 

But "blood" or "juices" is easier to type.  :cool:

Myoglobin is just a protein, very similar to Haemoglobin, that carries oxygen within myocytes.

Osmazome is a volatile compound that invokes umami, though it is archaic.

The sarcoplasm is the intracellular cytoplasm of myocytes and thus the main contributor to the liquid released during cooking

Myoglobin is what makes meat juices red.

You can call it anything you want but the red is myoglobin.

You're right. I was talking about the mixture rather than just myoglobin, which is a component of it. Sorry for the thread takeover.

In regards to duck brest, is the an optimum method to render after sous vide, and has anyone had any experience removing the skin, removing some of the fat from underneath, then readhering with TG?

You're right. I was talking about the mixture rather than just myoglobin, which is a component of it. Sorry for the thread takeover.

In regards to duck brest, is the an optimum method to render after sous vide, and has anyone had any experience removing the skin, removing some of the fat from underneath, then readhering with TG?

Removing the skin would be a good idea, so we can process it further to make crispy skin. For example using oven or deep fried.

Searing skin-side-down, no matter how long, it won't make the skin crispy :)

I've done that before... I used the GS form of TG since it has a higher bonding strength. I removed the skin, cooked SV separately at 140F for 24 hours to soften, but not render the fat or shrink the skin. Then, I scraped the fat with the back of a knife, and attached the skin to the raw duck breast, and cooked SV, then briefly seared in a pan. Worked well, but a lot of effort.

I don't know what GS stands for (Ajinomoto makes the transglutaminase, and they have many different versions for different applications) but it's not only for slurry applications, although that is one way it can be applied. It can also be applied just like RM, but it will have higher bond strength - it's good when bonding things that don't have tons of protein on the surface (like skin with some fat remaining), or if bonding things with a high water content - like seafoood. I used it to make shrimp noodles by pureeing the shrimp, adding the GS, then flattening to a thin sheet... later, I cut the sheet into fettucine widths.... and cooked SV.