• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jacques Pepin's Heart & Soul

rotuts

Form Is Content may be on to something WRT to the website having trouble, though local access may play a role, too.

I followed your link and was unable to get the content to stream. No error messages, just no go.  I noticed (upper left above the video window) the site identified me with KOCE, which will air the first episode tonight. I clicked on "change station" and switched to KLCS (not airing this program at all) and the video played fine.   I figured local access must be the ruling factor.

Then I went back through your link, changed my station back to KOCE and was able to stream the second episode with no problem, so it would seem my initial conclusion may be incorrect.  

This is all on an iMac w/Safari.  Haven't tried another browser to see if resetting the local station is important.

Edited to add that I was able to view the 2 current episodes on my iPad via your link to the PBS website and via the KQED site so perhaps the initial trouble was just a glitch.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

Ive seen the first show, broad cast here

It very classic JP

he did an interesting ham  which ill keep in mind :

he bought a 'supermarket' lightly smoked ham  NonCut

then he put it in a large stock pot with cold water

brought it to 170 to 180 degrees   and was were careful with this temp

for a 'good couple of hours'   you let it cool in that liquid

took it out to a cutting board

he kept the rind on the top, trimmed some of the tougher bottom bits

he places this in a roasting pan on a shallow rack   ( w some aluminum foil on the absolute botton

to aid in clean up.

he then makes a glaze : ketchup, maple syrup, balsamic vinegar ( for acidity ) then hot sauce

he glazes the ham

he then puts this in the oven

400 degrees  45 min    then brush again w the glaze

20 to 30 minutes    takes it out and lets it cool  the slices it and adds a bit more glaze

WoW

that's has to taste most excellent !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

Ive been thinking about the Above Ham

Im now going to BOLO one of these, hopefully from the upper shoulder not the lower leg

the Pot  JP used was Immense   Im sure he used to wrassle with pots like this most of his life.

probably not now. Nor do I have one that Huge :

:wink:

but I do have large 'beer coolers'

after cleaning out a Good Sized One

Id pop the ham in there w clean water, and use the Anova for the temp and circulation.

might even change the water  pail-full by pail-full after an hour

extra salt i can take, but i know whats it going to do to me in the long run

then id finish it on the Weber w GrillGrates and maybe even a little Smoke-Assist.

I hope someone else Beets me to this.

:biggrin:

the slices can then be VacPacked and frozen for Future use :

the Ham Sandwich

the macaroni and cheese w ham

etc

Edited by rotuts (log)

Does anyone know if WHYY Channel 12 from Philadelphia, or WNJS Channel 23 in New Jersey will be showing this, and if so when. I don't get WNET Channel 13 .

Edited to add that the web sites for both those channels are unhelpful and uninformative.

Edited by Arey (log)

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

consider sending both those providers w an E-mail

PBS now is not what it used to be

but its an email

pre-paid

Im guessing they will have it eventually

but can you see this at the Tx station ?

KLRU ?

the ref. is in the early part of the thread

Does anyone know if WHYY Channel 12 from Philadelphia, or WNJS Channel 23 in New Jersey will be showing this, and if so when. I don't get WNET Channel 13 .

Edited to add that the web sites for both those channels are unhelpful and uninformative.

WHYY is so frustrating. Fundraisers half the time and erratic programming.

id bet JP has a 'special' supermarket in mind.

Im on the Hunt.

its quite true  PBS has in many ways lost its way

Ive eventually got email responses from 'GBH my local

about 60 % helpful

I found one, 2.29 / lb on sale   4 lbs +  so Ill get to this at some point.

the did have 'berkshire' pig picnic hams that were much larger and $ 8.99 an lb.

neither of these are 'boston butts' but front leg piggy where you see the 'humerus' right in front of you

so not the best cuts but Ill give it a try

Ive seen the first show, broad cast here

It very classic JP

he did an interesting ham  which ill keep in mind :

he bought a 'supermarket' lightly smoked ham  NonCut

then he put it in a large stock pot with cold water

brought it to 170 to 180 degrees   and was were careful with this temp

for a 'good couple of hours'   you let it cool in that liquid

It will be a while before I can watch this, so please help me out here: what is the purpose of the long soak in warm water? The ham is already cooked; is it to reduce the salt, or does it somehow change the texture?

Next question: does the smoked picnic ham I picked up yesterday count as a 'lightly smoked supermarket ham' or did he have in mind one of the less strongly flavored (to me insipid) hams?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

some was to reduce the salt, and make it more tender.

" i love ham.  this is a fully cooked ham you buy in the market lightly smoked.  you would not believe the difference it makes to re-cooking those  When you recook it it takes a fair amount of the salt out of it.  in recoiling it gets so much more tender and better.  you loose 10 % or so of the weight but it makes a great deal of

difference"

he uses a big stock pot.   I mean big.  cold water, 170 to 180 for a "good couple of hours "

• Like 1

By accident I managed to catch the first installment of this series and then, miracle of miracles (because most PBS site videos never work for me) I caught up on the 2nd and 3rd last night using their interface! :)

I love Jacques. He is so sweet, gentle and down to earth/real. One just gets the feeling he is in the kitchen with you - he is so approachable. Why can't all food shows be made with people of his ilk (and talent)? I am SOOOO tired of perky.

Yes, Suzi, I saw that too. I thought he was 78 (though he looks much younger) so I was surprised he is now 80. I thought he was very gracious and tolerant of Rachael today - I don't think it was her best show but she tried. I was glad to see Ming and Jacques Torres there as well. I missed the first few minutes - did she mention the book then? I didn't hear it talked about later during the actual 'party'.

Having just watched Jacques make the eggs and caviar dish which turned out so nice and creamy, I thought hers looked awful compared to his but he kept smiling through it all. And he was sweet about that panini'd burger melt too (but I never saw him take a bite). Haven't seen him make one of those but somehow I think his would be different.

Watching an episode now - just loving the interaction between Jacques and Claudine. It's quite wonderful to watch!  

You can hear the piezoelectric starter on the stove clicking away and Claudine just sneaks around behind him and fixes it with no further ado.  

He's cooking a dessert with his granddaughter now - there was a flash back to an episode of the Essential Pepin when the child was much younger - Claudine and Jacques shared a glass of wine over the dessert they made - the GD a glass of milk!

also saw this.

he is The Master.

if they were in France back when that show w the GD  was made 

I remember it    She would have been given a glass of water w a splash of red wine in it.

I should know  !

I didn't like it much  back then

times change !

in the second episode, Claudine uses a cordless stick blender on the rice dish,

Ive never seen this one before.

it looks very very tall, much taller than other  cordless around  i.e. Cuisinart

its got to be over two feet 'long'

any idea what brand it is ?

PS   Ive kept hunting and its this one :

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-Frosted-5-Speed-Cordless-Blender/dp/B00CT9XUEI/ref=sr_1_12?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1444663909&sr=1-12&keywords=cordless+hand+blenders

19 "

seems awkward to use

Edited by rotuts (log)

I have not seen that episode, but since KitchenAid is a sponsor, I wonder if it is one of their products.  I have a KitchenAid immersion blender that's about 18 inches tall but this one is 22 inches, close to your 2 ft estimate.

Edited to say that I just looked that the episode and I think they are using this cordless model. 19 inches. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

I have a KA  but its corded

the one in the show looks very very tall, too tall to be easy to use.

sort of like an old fashioned  ( very old fashioned ) two handed sword.

amazon says its 9 lbs

:huh:

Edited by rotuts (log)