• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"What Phil's Having" - PBS food/travel show

blue_dolphin

PBS is rolling out a 6 part food/travel series called "I'll have what Phil's having," with TV producer and restaurant investor Phil Rosenthal. 

In an LA Times blurb penned by food writer Russ Parsons, Rosenthal says, ""I'm not an adventurer, but I do like to travel and eat. I hope people will watch me and say, 'If that putz can go out and try something new, maybe I can too."

Rosenthal goes into more detail about his idea for the show in this interview in the LA Weekly: "EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND CREATOR DISHES ON HIS NEW FOOD SHOW" 

The idea of a guy with that much food and travel experience playing a "putz" sounds like silly TV but after reading the LA Weekly interview, I'll give it a look.  

It starts tonight in my area.

• Like 1

the problem with this show is that the Host & the Host's buds are eating fantastic food. small places, famous places etc

and Im not.

there is a small eel place.  My kind of place.  Id go every day.  But Im not there.

:sad:

Ill still follow this.

Agreed.  I thought it was well done and watchable.  The tone was light but not silly.  He may have raised an eyebrow or wrinkled his nose on occasion but he wasn't playing a putz and did a nice job of using local food/dining as a window into some aspects of the culture.  I'll watch again.

It appears that the full Tokyo episode that aired on Monday is available to stream from the PBS site in case anyone wants to take a look:

<http://video.pbs.org/video/2365538968/>

Edited to add:  just scroll down below the series preview window to access the full episode.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

indeed  of this genre its well done.

how ever .....

personally Id like to see the total bill for each establishment visited.

might make me feel better that i was not invited to attend.

on their dime multi-pack of Franklins

• Like 1

Ewww, I admit I watched the whole thing, but couldn't help cringing at any number of things, including the Skype with the parents, who really turned up the schmaltz factor, the shrimp that continued to wiggle after something Game of Thrones-like was done to it and the general non-stop worship at the altar of food in the stratospheric price category.

I would have liked to see Phil Skype with his kids, presumably old enough to say, "Ewww, Dad that's disgusting." Also, if it was my show, I would Skype with my dead parents and add a spiritual dimension that appeals to a broader section of the American audience.

• Like 1

It was silly and fun…(we need silly tv with the mind numbing cruelty and violence in this world  that is constantly being fed to us via the news and reality in general so this was nice! thanks or posting or I would not have watched it to be honest ) .. if I see it again on.. I will grab a cup of coffee and sit down for a few and see where he was going and what he was having ..nice little break and I felt engaged with the putziness of it all 

I think it was nicely done and interesting and the food was lovely I would eat everything I saw with great joy! ..but the thing I wanted the most was that spicy ramen that is the one dish that I was salivating over …and guess what I am having for breakfast this morning after seeing that I am pulling the ramen broth out of the freezer now and planning a slugfest of rest today

I had a friend who was stationed in Japan for four years ..she ate  packages of cheap Japanese instant food (giving us review on it all was so fun I loved getting her emails  and photos)  out of her microwave …while she saved all her food budget for there monthly  "splurge meal"  .. she researched and enjoyed the most wonderful meals ..I loved she would bait us with her meal plans and then take us all dining …

I loved his two splurge meals and also would love to see the ticket for the meals just out of curiosity how much do you think those two meals cost (each) now in Japan? 

does anyone know ? 

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I watched the Italy episode last night. It was a little too fawning in certain parts ("This was the BEST! EVER!") but overall, a fun show. 

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I agree.  this was not so much about cooking  but Shmooozing

some of the Shmooozing was very nice.

however, in Florence  he said this :

"" with all the things to say and do, I don't think anything beats just waling down the streets  ""

Im very fortunate to have lived in Europe for several years, growing up

and Yep, its about walking down the streets.

maybe a little snack here, another one there   .....

but he was paying back many friends   ......

how ever, re Great Eats  :   who would not give  ( some one else's ) leg for a bite of those steaks just off the grill.

• Like 2

in my case Im able to capture HD-TV over the air w EyeTV and my Mac.

I then edit the fine cooking shows and keep them on a ( bazzillion ) hard drives.

this Ill Cap, watch and 

as ive said before, He should have been Me.

it seems though his familily is having a mighty fine time  

so    Nice !

... who would not give  ( some one else's ) leg for a bite of those steaks just off the grill.

OMG! My brother would call those steaks "Fred Flintstone Steaks" because they were so huge. I would have loved to have been there for a big bite of that steak. However, it was majorly raw in the middle. I assume that because they were high-end steaks that even raw they would have been tender. 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

OMG! My brother would call those steaks "Fred Flintstone Steaks" because they were so huge. I would have loved to have been there for a big bite of that steak. However, it was majorly raw in the middle. I assume that because they were high-end steaks that even raw they would have been tender.

Those steaks looked Pittsburg rare to me. Or colder.

In Heat Buford discusses the preparation of Dario the butcher's biztecca ala fioretina and the raw center is by design. If I remember right he said the proper way to eat it is to press the bite against the roof of your mouth with your tongue.

So it sounds pretty tender to me.

Edited by Dave W (log)

I just finished watching our "taped" Italy episode.  Loved it.  Two summers ago, my wife and I rented an apartment in Santa Croce (Florence) for a little over a month, 3 blocks from Cibreo, and ate there (the Trat., not the main restaurant or the theater) &, more importantly, at the tripe stand next to it.  Hung out at the local piazza & used the local outdoor market (Sant'ambrogio) almost daily.  Our landlord, who lived in a town 30 minutes away by train, invited us to dinner a couple of times & grilled steaks much like seen on the show.  Almost raw inside, charred to perfection outside, with olive oil and salt the only (after cooking additions).  So the show brought back great memories & I can't say that this doesn't affect my appreciation of it.

That being said, as rotuts says (& I agree) this show is about shmoozing & bringing out the emotional, heartfelt aspects of the place (as opposed to, for example, Bourdain's overt social commentary, which I love as well).  In this, Phil succeeds and brings production values far beyond the usual standard for food related shows.  Cant wait for next Monday's Paris episode.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm involved in a 'discussion' of this series on another board where one poster, who I highly respect, finds it a total waste of time.I don't want to give his extensive comments short shrift but, essentially, he says he expects more from PBS.  I see his point, but it saddens me a bit to think that expectations can be so high that it spoils a light-hearted approach to a beloved subject.

nice comments

"" he expects more from PBS ""

i also expect a lot more for PBS

but PBS now is not Julia's PBS  in the days of the French Chef, after she introduced her self there was a 5 - 10 second blurb

" brought to you by Polaroid "

now day, PBS is an extraordinary money maker for whom ever they  choose to pick up

Martha Fellon has shows before the Noon, and as i recall and may not be up to date  were 'donated Free'

after all can a Fellon Still cook ?

all yuks aside, there is more commercial activity now on PBS than on lets say the Food Network.

that Ive studied some time ago, after capping show, and indeed, back then when the FN has cooking

more there then than PBS

PBS is a cash cow that might be funded not just by " viewer like You " but the Hogs on the Trough in washingtom

maybe.

but Phils show it ok as it tax free smoozing for him and his family and the etc.s  

as ive said:

who pays his bills   certainly not him

that is not a criticism  Why not get stuffing etc etc and not pay for it ?

BTW  the LA show was a bit too much Smooze   

this is a very good show that says 

I can work the system.  I can show you stuff you will never experience   Ive enjoyed my self and my family did too

[ ed: i like the family in the back ground BTW ]

but this is not a cooking show

its a Food p0rn show, very well done, that suggests to you  

well, you are not me

Id be intrigued by its finacials

at least Phil did genuinely enjoy himslef

why he and to Skype his parents ?  did that add anything ?  are they paid actors ?

the good new  Pill stopped at less than 13 shows.  good for him

why push it ?

PBS now is not Julia's PBS   its a cash cow for those who have shows

books ? DVD's? etc

that being said  the greater after noon cooking show are nice.  if they become wealthy ? not

just not Kimball  good show, bad buiness.

at least, there is this  No Felons in the after noon.

that something , no ?

PS

FD

Jacques Pepin's last show in my area is on Sat at 11:00 am

so he is the exceptional exception to the Noon Rule

MF is before noon

i would find it interesting to see the Cooing Shows Financials.

soup to nuts.

• Like 1

I'm involved in a 'discussion' of this series on another board where one poster, who I highly respect, finds it a total waste of time.I don't want to give his extensive comments short shrift but, essentially, he says he expects more from PBS.  I see his point, but it saddens me a bit to think that expectations can be so high that it spoils a light-hearted approach to a beloved subject.

Honestly, I don't think of his opinion as having "high expectations" as much as not appreciating something that doesn't have a serious, documentary tone.  I think there's a place for "light hearted" on PBS without ruining their reputation as a serious place.  Hopefully, this "another board" you speak of will have some participants that will say that to him  :blush: .

was discussing this show with a co-worker and we both agreed that we enjoyed Phil's enthusiasm for everything he tried (whether he enjoyed it or not) but found the Skype portion with his parents to be unnecessary and distracting. Wasn't bowled over by the LA episode, but have enjoyed the others.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

The Skype portions were cheap to make (and could really have been filmed anywhere) and took up time that would have had to be filled with more food at greater expense I am sure. Phil is a Jewish comedian and using family as fodder is a great part of his shtick I think.