• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pig's Head Sous Vide -- Favorite Time and Temp?

Unpopular Poet

Good morning everyone -- it has been a while -- This is probably the worst time to cook a pig's head, since I have no kitchen due to a impending rehab, but I was able to get a berkshire belly, shoulder and took the head as part of my haul.  The butcher was kind enough to debone it for me, since I have very little resources and I went ahead and tied and seasoned it.  I am pretty sure my neighbors were on the ready to call the police, since I was shaving the head and scorching off the hair on my front porch...I definitely got some puzzled looks!  Does anyone have any favorite times and temps for cooking it - I plan on serving it sliced thin, along with some various cured meats.  Thanks!  

2015-09-24 08.38.58.jpg

Chris -- I think perhaps I would like to achieve a texture that would allow easy slicing on a meat slicer, without it falling apart.  Does that make sense?  Perhaps the consistency of the Chef's Steps Pork Steaks...

Edit:  I thought of a comparison -- a mortadella type consistency, if that is even possible

Edited by Unpopular Poet (log)

Hmm, Mortadella consistency is going to be a challenge if you are looking to keep the head on one piece, since Mortadella itself is an emulsified sausage. I can't think of how to turn something that is ultimately a conglomeration of firm muscle (the jowls) plus fat (snout) and collagen (ears) plus skin into anything along those lines. The only time I've had pig's head that was sliceable the way you describe, it was cured, not cooked. Have you considered head cheese, or are you really hoping to keep it whole?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I had thought about head cheese, but ultimately decided to try a "porchetta" style roll, as I had seen in a couple recipes online.  The problem is that the time and temp vary drastically -- from one chef saying that they bring it to 190, to another cooking it at 165, etc. etc.  Mortadella was a bad example now that you point it out.  I was thinking more of just the overall texture, not the makeup.  I think maybe 160 for 18 hours?

Ah, I see. I think then that clearly 190 is crazy, but I think that's not a sous vide recipe but a more classic roasted porchetta. To keep the texture firm you are going to want a pretty low temperature I'd think. Even 160 sounds pretty high to me, I'd be more inclined to go with a lower temp and a much longer time. Maybe something more shoulder-like, say 62C/144F for 72 hours.

• Like 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I agree with CH for a lower temp and for longer.

if you have the facilities to re-bag, why not check after 24 etc ? and debag if not to your liking.

some bits will turn out differently than their neighbor, but that might be fine if the 'porchetta' style you are looking for.

Id love to hear and see your results.

I need to have it ready by this weekend, so I ended up going with 160 -- we will see how it turns out -- could be a bust, but will still be delicious most like, even if it doesn't slice up nicely.  My main concern is the off smell due to the scorched off hair -- I think that will be more of a problem than anything else, if it is.  Adventures in Offal coming soon to a block party near you....

I need to have it ready by this weekend, so I ended up going with 160 -- we will see how it turns out -- could be a bust, but will still be delicious most like, even if it doesn't slice up nicely.  My main concern is the off smell due to the scorched off hair -- I think that will be more of a problem than anything else, if it is.  Adventures in Offal coming soon to a block party near you....

So your pig's head could be a bust? 

Sorry. 

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

It turned out well so far -- I did it at 160 for 20 hours and then ice bathed it for 2 hours.  I cut into more manageable pieces and re-wrapped tightly in saran wrap and weighted it down in the fridge.  Flavor was great -- the ears had a bit of a crunch to them, everything else was fatty and delicious.  I am looking forward to serving it cold, thinly sliced on some crusty bread with chamber pickles, kewpie, stone ground mustard and some spinach.

2015-09-25 11.37.29.jpg

• Like 1

this looks so nice

I do like the idea of very thinly sliced

will you slice it your self of do you have an electric 'deli' slicer ?

I only say that because :

If I had your butcher,

and got not just these heads but the rest

it would confirm Im very lacking in an electric deli slicer.

good for you !

It is the ear cartilage - it is kind of crunchy - not sure how I felt about that, it wasn't bad but had no added flavor. I think if it was sliced on a slicer it would perhaps be more appealing. For the next one I make I am going to most certainly brine the head and then tie it with cheese cloth to hang it for a couple days after cooking. Definitely didn't need any meat glue to hold it together, it was compact and dense, after I pressed it down for 24+ hours.