• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Electric vegetable steamers: your recommendations?

rotuts

My sister is thinking about getting an electric vegetable steamer

I think along these lines :

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dkitchen&field-keywords=vegetable+steamers

any recommendations ?  ease of use, durablitity

she says no to the 'InstaPot'

http://www.amazon.com/Oster-5712-Electronic-6-1-Quart-Steamer/dp/B00019G8IS/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1442944171&sr=1-1&keywords=vegetable+steamers

the multi-layer items.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I've got an older Aroma steamer that I use when I make candied ginger, rehydrate dried fruits that have dried too much or when preparing them for candying.

steamed pineapple.JPG

Steamed figs.JPG

steamed pears.JPG

I also use it to steam dumplings, dim sum, and some vegetables. 

There are also steamped "puddings" - individual ones in cupcake liners -

I have a cookbook, almost 20 years old, Cooking with Steam.  I'm sure there are newer ones but this has a lot of recipes and ideas. 

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The electric vegetable steamers both the single level and the multi layered are in almost every thrift shop Kerry Beal and I frequent. If your sister has any thrift shops in the area you might suggest that she check there first. Owned one of the single level ones at one time but was never much of a fan of steamed anything and so it soon found its way to a thrift shop having been hardly used.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My mom has an old Black and Decker Steamer and she loves it mainly for the convenience of setting it (the timer) and "forgetting" it. It has a dial timer that "dings" when it's done steaming and shuts itself off.

Unfortunately, they've stopped making the model she has and the newer versions don't have anywhere near as good reviews as the reviews of the original model that she has. It's not huge so you're limited to a set amount of veggies that will fit in the steamer basket. Newer models (from other companies) now have stackable baskets, like what Asian cooks have been using forever, so you can steam multiple items at one time should the need arise.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

AnnaN   this is pretty much what i thought, knowing nothing about them.

now I can tell my sister to Move On with much more authority.

No, now you can hypnotize her into buying an Instant Pot, as you've done with so many here. I'm astonished that she told you she wasn't interested, when it obviously can steam vegetables but do much more besides.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I'm using my vegetable steamer now to re-hydrate dried chestnuts.  It takes about 45 minutes. 

And no, the pressure cooker does not work - they end up blasting apart under pressure and I want them in large chunks or whole, for the most part.

Later I will also use it to re-hydrate some dried coconut in large chips (organic). 

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'm using my vegetable steamer now to re-hydrate dried chestnuts.  It takes about 45 minutes. 

And no, the pressure cooker does not work - they end up blasting apart under pressure and I want them in large chunks or whole, for the most part.

Later I will also use it to re-hydrate some dried coconut in large chips (organic).

But the IP, in steam mode, works without pressure.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog