• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I need a substitute for short ribs

gfweb

Hard to find short ribs at a fair price.

Our local crummy supermarket meat dept sells packs of 4 that contain one decent one and three gnarly ones. Recently I had a naked bone in a pack of "4"...no meat at all.

The fancy butcher has meaty ones, but  they cost as much as tenderloin.  I can pay it, but I'm not gonna.

Has anyone tried the chuck "short ribs" that Costco sells?  Other suggestions?

The planned usage is braising or SV.

• Like 1

Have you looked at your local Mexican or Hispanic market? The short ribs in these places (in my area) are both good and reasonably priced.

I stopped buying beef short ribs from "Normal Western" supermarkets and butchers a while ago precisely because they were so unreasonably priced – and, as you said, somehow they were often not really that good anyway.  A particular high-end place (GtM) in my area does have consistently good short ribs but --- you pay the accordingly high price.

• Like 1

Oh, and Korean & "International" places will have the "flatter, less-meaty-type" of, umm, "Korean-style" short ribs if one wanted to play with that (and not for Bulgogi). Cheap.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

Of late I've also been getting beef short ribs from local livestock farmers from the Farmers' Markets. One, in particular (Carmel Farmers' Market) has decent stuff (with membranes present - but I don't mind) which are quite flavorful (pastured beef) at just $3/lb. In fact, I picked up another pack today.  The "winter melon soup" dishes I've posted in the last few days on the dinner thread used this stuff from this farmer.

• Like 1

""  3hrs at 300 ""

oven braise ?

​i also have never bought SR's as they are pricey and more Ribby than meaty in my area.

find a blade roast whole and learn to remove the central tendon that separates and connects the two muscles

blade as these two muscles are under the blade of the scapula.

• Like 1

Count me as another fan of Costco's boneless short ribs.  In fact, that one item was my motivation for joining Costco in the first place.  I was skeptical until my sister-in-law served them at a family dinner, and I was hooked.  I braise them in the oven and they're WONDERFUL, even though they're boneless.

Looks like chuck short rib doesn't need as much braising as short rib.  I did my usual 3hrs at 300 and the meat was overcooked.

Testing continues!

I braise my boneless short ribs for 3 hours @325º.  I use a recipe that I've adapted from the "Balthazar Cookbook."

Edited by CindyJ (log)
  • Like 1

I just had these tonight made with Costco choice short ribs. Had prime in my hands but I like the looks of the choice package better.

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/127793-baked-short-ribs-mount-vernon/

Thanks ruthcooks we've enjoyed these for many years now.

Edited by Aloha Steve (log)
  • Like 1

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

Hard to find short ribs at a fair price.

Our local crummy supermarket meat dept sells packs of 4 that contain one decent one and three gnarly ones. Recently I had a naked bone in a pack of "4"...no meat at all.

The fancy butcher has meaty ones, but  they cost as much as tenderloin.  I can pay it, but I'm not gonna.

Has anyone tried the chuck "short ribs" that Costco sells?  Other suggestions?

The planned usage is braising or SV.

Costco sells flap meat which is a similar cut (sans bone) to Short rib.

flap-pack.jpg

• Like 1

Soooo

3.79 lbs for that meat ?

I need to borrow some ones card.

take that and SV'd it

you are in paradise

But look at the date on it! Methinks it was from the olden days.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I hit a nearby Asian market in Newark DE to check out the short ribs. 

They had beautiful ones in strips of four.

But sliced 1/4 inch thin on a band saw!

And the place stank of bad meat. And the refrigerated meat cases were dripping with old and new meat juices.

I passed on them.

• Like 1

Was it a Korean market?  Those you described sounds about right for kalbi.

And the place stank of bad meat. And the refrigerated meat cases were dripping with old and new meat juices.

I passed on them.

I've been to a place out in Newark called something like "World Market".  Some of the produce was okay; the meat all looked a little scary to me.  For Asian groceries, I like Young's (or is it Yung's?) on the Kirkwood Hwy near Elsmere.  But there, too, not for meats.