• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stargazy?

hramz3

Have you gone yet? If so, please tell us about it!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I stopped by there for lunch and picked up (to go) a beef and onion pie and a special pie with lamb and some offal (I don't recall which cut), that one was good too but the beef and onion was my favorite. I believe they do at least one dessert pie as well but I didn't try it. They also have a small selection of British groceries: Lyle's Golden Syrup, Colman's mustard, Pressed Cod Roe (?).

I stopped by there for lunch and picked up (to go) a beef and onion pie and a special pie with lamb and some offal (I don't recall which cut), that one was good too but the beef and onion was my favorite. I believe they do at least one dessert pie as well but I didn't try it. They also have a small selection of British groceries: Lyle's Golden Syrup, Colman's mustard, Pressed Cod Roe (?).

How was the portion size? Is one pie a fairly hearty meal?

How was the portion size? Is one pie a fairly hearty meal?

The lamb one was, the beef and onion one was a little smaller. But I got them to go, so I just got the pies themselves. If you dine in, you also get a side of mashed potatoes and a couple other accompaniments too I think.

• Like 1

I was led to believe that there is little room in the shop, and that there are only a few tables to eat in, and they are really more of a take away restaurant. Is that correct?

It's a small place for sure, it's in the old cupcake shop at the corner of Passyunk and Mifflin. If I recall, there were 4 tables, maybe 10-12 seats total? You can definitely sit down though.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to some activity hereabouts.

Stargazy is brilliant.  Totally authentic pub fare but bring your own ale. Too small for darts, but football is on the telly on Saturday mornings.

Some pics from the HollyEats facebook page https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1141813512501528.1073741849.115871648429058&type=3

• Like 2

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Glad to some activity hereabouts.

Stargazy is brilliant.  Totally authentic pub fare but bring your own ale. Too small for darts, but football is on the telly on Saturday mornings.

Some pics from the HollyEats facebook page https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1141813512501528.1073741849.115871648429058&type=3

Thanks so much for the link! That seals the deal. I'm there this weekend. Looks way better than I even imagined.

I stopped by here again for lunch a week or so ago. There are about 10 seats. I split the "Noah's Ark" (2 pies, 2 servings of mashed potatoes and parsley liquor) with another person, it was to say the least a very hearty lunch for each of us. I still haven't braved the jellied eels, but I did get an apple pie to go, very good.

• Like 1

I stopped by here again for lunch a week or so ago. There are about 10 seats. I split the "Noah's Ark" (2 pies, 2 servings of mashed potatoes and parsley liquor) with another person, it was to say the least a very hearty lunch for each of us. I still haven't braved the jellied eels, but I did get an apple pie to go, very good.

Finally made it to Stargazy. It met all my expectations. Traditional pie, mash, and parsley liquor was delicious. A very filling meal for only $9.00. I'm looking forward to trying other variations, though I don't see the jellied eels in my future.