• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Opening a Beer Bottle With a Lighter

Stone

. . . we always made sure we had . . . limes and salt.  When my dad asked about the salt, . . . [my sister] lamely said "in case it is icy."

I'm surprised he didn't get suspicious about the limes, right there next to the salt shaker. Of course, you could always say they were there "to prevent scurvy." :biggrin:

I used to open them with my teeth.  Not doing that any more.  I have a good scar on my thumb from doing that once when I didn't realise the top of the bottle had splintered.

How did you get so drunk you didn't know the difference between your thumb and your teeth?

i have had perhaps more beers than most people on the planet (and i'm just talking about this afternoon), and i have yet to be able to do this.  that's why i have a bottle opener (and a coke spoon of course) on my keychain

My girlfriend also has a bottle opener on her keychain. While still at college it was well utilised when she used to smuggle 2 or 3 beers into the pub in an effort to save a little money before having to buy another 6 before closing time. She is a champion drinker, I'm very proud of her! :biggrin:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

• 2 weeks later...
I have a memory hazily floating to the surface of my consciousness of some guy who could open a beer bottle with his eye socket. Am I completely insane, or did I see this on TV somewhere?

No, you're not completely insane -

I have a friend, a big raw boned girl from Canada, whose father came to town for a visit, and that's how he opened his beer bottles, much to the amusement of the rest of the drunks I was hosting that evening.

It was freaky, kinda disgusting, and funnier than shit. :biggrin:

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

I've seen the countertop and teeth methods but not the lighter one. Another that nobody's mentioned is to hold the bottle firmly and whack the underside of the cap rim with something like a solid metal spatula. Cap flies off. You need good aim. I don't have it but friends of mine do.

• 2 weeks later...
I've seen the countertop and teeth methods but not the lighter one. Another that nobody's mentioned is to hold the bottle firmly and whack the underside of the cap rim with something like a solid metal spatula. Cap flies off. You need good aim. I don't have it but friends of mine do.

Do you use your saber?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Whilst down in the Bahamas, I bought some Kalik beer and brought it back to my hotel room. I found myself that night with a bottle of beer, a lighter and no opener. Straining my memory to recall the advice on this thread, I soon found myself with a bottle of beer, a cracked lighter, and no opener. I then found myself with an open bottle of beer and a dresser with a well-hidden gouge. Soon, I found myself with four empty bottles of beer, a dresser with one very deep gouge that was not easily hid and a need to pee.

Whilst down in the Bahamas, I bought some Kalik beer and brought it back to my hotel room.  I found myself that night with a bottle of beer, a lighter and no opener.  Straining my memory to recall the advice on this thread, I soon found myself with a bottle of beer, a cracked lighter, and no opener.

Did you use a Bic lighter?

"A friend of mine" has been using Bic's to open beer bottle for quite a while. :hmmm:

• 4 weeks later...
What happened to the other 2 beers?

Maybe it was a four-pack. They have those you know. For the really really good beers. They dont want to give you too much since it so good... :smile:

You never find really bad beer come in 4 paks - its usually by the case...

Soon, I found myself with four empty bottles of beer, a dresser with one very deep gouge that was not easily hid and a need to pee.

What happened to the other 2 beers?

I only bought four for the room. The next day I moved to the all-inclusive Radisson. By the way, the food at the all-inclusive Radisson sucks.

I'm 36 years old, and I can't do this.  Can someone tell me how?  In detail.  With diagrams and/or movie clips if possible.

Do you have a death wish?

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"