• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Curious Kumquat in Silver City, NM will be closing!

I do have local folks who want to invest because they want to keep a restaurant in that space. I'm pushing right now to make sure people know its zoned Historic MultiUse which means, commercial, residential or shared use. If this is something you're really serious about come on over for a visit. BTW, I'll be in PHX Jan 9-11 for vacation and can talk then. We're going to be putting it out in ads nationally pretty soon.

Any more news about where you might land?  I'm working on tentative plans for next big road trip...

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 3 months later...

Congratulations, gfron1!

Hadn't been to your website before and I am laughing my head off (not at the top part - that agenda for your last week sounds wonderful - just don't tire yourself out too much) - but at the very bottom of the page where it says .. Checking to see if you are human. 1+1=? I thought about it for a minute (since I am used to more complicated 'captchas' ... this seemed a bit too simple ... there must be a catch :) ) and then realized I can think of more than one answer to that question these days - as I am sure someone who just found themselves pregnant could, or anyone who is taking Common Core math could.

Luckily I also know the 'traditional' answer. I just wish I was going to be close by that week so I could make a reservation and participate in the fun as you say your goodbyes to your customers and community, and they in turn, I hope, praise you profusely as you so deserve.

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 1

I'm sorry to hear that.  I'll bet your staff are even sorrier.  At any rate, congratulations!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Actually all of my staff have been with me for a long time now and we're all ready for a break. One is heading off to be with her boyfriend at college. One is preparing to move when her boyfriend graduates and the other is just moving to a new job. All are very well trained at this point and can work where they want :)

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

As everyone knows by now Saturday was our last day. Fun for many reasons including a bit of national media working on a piece for my next place, and plenty of cookbook pre-sales. I'll sure miss this little town, but can't wait to test my mettle in a larger market. Here's me at my final toast!

FinalSpeech.jpg

• Like 18

On 6/6/2016 at 3:56 PM, gfron1 said:

I'll sure miss this little town, but can't wait to test my mettle in a larger market. 

Or, nettle?

• Like 3

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.