• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Philadelphia Restaurants Fall 2015

phillygrub

This forum is too quiet. I hope to kick start new discussions here about the Philadelphia area food scene. Let's talk new restaurants opening this Fall...

The restaurant I was most excited about opening is already opened - Bud & Marilyn's. So technically that opened in the Summer.

Here's a list of restaurants opening very soon, just to name a few...

• Kanella South
  • Coeur
  • Restaurant Neuf
  • Pure Fare – University City
  • Keystone
  • Mercadito
  • Tremé
  • Hungry Pigeon
  • Clarkville
  • Sabrina’s Cafe – Collingswood
  • SOUTH
  • Restaurant Ambra
  • The Little Bird Bakery and Cafe
  • SpOT Burger
  • Hugo’s Frog Bar & Chop House

What recent or future opening are you most excited about?

• Like 3

Restaurant Neuf is the one the tops my interest. Chef Lachman's proven talent plus a cuisine not really found anywhere else in Philly. 

As for the forum being too quiet, that may change. The re-designed Chowhound is awful.

• Like 1

Restaurant Neuf is the one the tops my interest. Chef Lachman's proven talent plus a cuisine not really found anywhere else in Philly. 

As for the forum being too quiet, that may change. The re-designed Chowhound is awful.

Yeah Joncarl's restaurant is exciting for sure. Opening Wed: September 30th. Reservations are being accepted on OpenTable: http://www.opentable.com/restaurant/profile/169360?DateTime=2015-09-30+19%3A00&Covers=4&OnlyOffers=false&RestaurantIDs=169360&MetroId=13

Oh yeah, the new Chowhound blows. I posted something about my friends gluten-free dinner that she is participating in and they flagged it as too promotional/advertising. F them.

• Like 3

I'm a big fan of Kanella and Konstantinos' food but I am a little worried about that location, it's kind of out-of-the-way. I wasn't surprised Village Belle closed though, I didn't have a good meal there. Ditto Neuf, unless you walk right by it it's hard to tell there's a restaurant there with the Italian Market stalls and awnings blocking it. I'm glad Spotburger is finally getting a space, their burger is easily my favorite in the city.

Before Kanella, before Village Belle, and before (don't know name) was in the space there was Tivoli. It was short-lived, but the only place this side of Wisconsin where you could get smorrebord, the classic open/faced sandwich of Copenhagen. Alas, the owner ran off in the middle of the night. I found out when I called to make a reservation and the landlord answered. He wanted to know if I knew where his tenant could be found!

Some of Joncarl's specialties are refinements of some of Tivoli's dishes, especially the herring.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Before Kanella, before Village Belle, and before (don't know name) was in the space there was Tivoli. It was short-lived, but the only place this side of Wisconsin where you could get smorrebord, the classic open/faced sandwich of Copenhagen. Alas, the owner ran off in the middle of the night. I found out when I called to make a reservation and the landlord answered. He wanted to know if I knew where his tenant could be found!

Some of Joncarl's specialties are refinements of some of Tivoli's dishes, especially the herring.

Was Joncarl involved with Tivoli? I know he's from Philly originally.

I think you missed one.  Isn't Susannah Foo's new SuGa opening in the fall?

Michael Klein has a good list of openings coming up: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/the-insider/The-fall-2015-restaurant-forecast.html

I am also interested in Coeur, this is a concept that I think can actually have longevity in this space. I'm really looking forward to checking out SOUTH too, Zanzibar Blue is much missed. Finally I'm glad to see Sate Kampar joining Stargazy and Bing Bing on Passyunk Ave, adding variety to the options there.

• Like 1

Hmm. Will there be any chit-chat about less rarefied places? (roaches notwithstanding) What about your opinions on which place serves the best Philly Cheesesteak? Or that broccoli rabe and pork sandwich? I for one would be just as interested in the latter two (if not more) than any of those "high-end dining" places that, really, would not be that substantially different than others of a similar nature anywhere else in the country.

Would you go back after the roast infestation?

Absolutely.  To me it's like a plane crash of a flight that you, yourself are supposed to take the very next day.  Now you know that plane is probably the best, safest plane in the country to take after what happened to them the day before.

They are working like mad over there.  I pass that place several times a week.  Believe me, the rules on them are going to be so stringent that you'd be able to feed your baby's formula right off the floor.

Think of how many other places we could name that we frequent that are, shall we say, less than stellar in the clean department.

I have no qualms about going back.  That place was a winner ... and they've learned their lesson.

Hmm. Will there be any chit-chat about less rarefied places? (roaches notwithstanding) What about your opinions on which place serves the best Philly Cheesesteak? Or that broccoli rabe and pork sandwich? I for one would be just as interested in the latter two (if not more) than any of those "high-end dining" places that, really, would not be that substantially different than others of a similar nature anywhere else in the country.

The thread is titled "New Philadelphia Restaurants 2015", I'm not sure why you'd expect opinions on the cheesesteak (ugh) or the roast pork and rabe sandwich (High Street on Market).

• Like 1

There's always room for a thread on Philly junk food food.  Probably are a few in the archives already.

There are actually a couple truly unique places in Phila.  Zahav and Abe Fisher come to mind. Both are in the Vetri family tree, I think.

Edited by gfweb (log)

Is Yang Ming open these days?  

Not yet.  They are going over that place with a fine tooth comb.  Ladders and workers are all over the place. They are making sure that it is spotless and perfect and that nothing like it will ever happen again.

Absolutely.  To me it's like a plane crash of a flight that you, yourself are supposed to take the very next day.  Now you know that plane is probably the best, safest plane in the country to take after what happened to them the day before.

They are working like mad over there.  I pass that place several times a week.  Believe me, the rules on them are going to be so stringent that you'd be able to feed your baby's formula right off the floor.

Think of how many other places we could name that we frequent that are, shall we say, less than stellar in the clean department.

I have no qualms about going back.  That place was a winner ... and they've learned their lesson.

I am not one to obsess over the cleanliness of an eating establishment, but this isn't like they slipped up, overlooked something, or made a simple mistake. The place was completely infested and they did nothing about it until the authorities got involved.

I've never been to Yang Ming, and I know it won some kind of "best in America" award (these are highly suspect), but is it really so good that the crowds will return? I like American-Chinese food when in the mood, but it's not destination cuisine for me.

• Like 1

There's always room for a thread on Philly junk food food.  Probably are a few in the archives already.

There are actually a couple truly unique places in Phila.  Zahav and Abe Fisher come to mind. Both are in the Vetri family tree, I think.

Thanks. I was just wondering.

p.s. Have you seen this? http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/best-philly-cheesesteaks.html

Edited by huiray (log)

No, I missed that.

Not a very insightful piece. Just a tip of the hat to a complex sandwich. I've had each of those steaks (always with a bit of ketchup) and  they all are just fine. The best? Maybe John's is in that category.

But Tony Luke's is great too.

And Pat's and Geno's are respectable enough...as good as some of those that made the list (if bought at peak traffic...another long discussion...).

No mention of the West Philly food truck cheesesteak with mustard and ketchup. It is heretical, gives the thing a McDonald's taste.

Cheese choice and roll are under-appreciated aspects of the cheesesteak. John Kerry blew the election when he asked for Swiss cheese(!) on a steak at Pat's.  "We don't got that". The local press killed him for being basically an ignorant fool.

• Like 1

I am not one to obsess over the cleanliness of an eating establishment, but this isn't like they slipped up, overlooked something, or made a simple mistake. The place was completely infested and they did nothing about it until the authorities got involved.

I've never been to Yang Ming, and I know it won some kind of "best in America" award (these are highly suspect), but is it really so good that the crowds will return? I like American-Chinese food when in the mood, but it's not destination cuisine for me.

Well Barry, maybe that's why you express yourself the way you did because you are admittedly not particularly a fan of Asian or Chinese food.  But believe me, those who can't do without it for even one week will back me up that Yangming was truly a cut above when it came to really putting out some really good Chinese food.  One need go no farther than simply driving past every night and trying to find a decent parking spot in their ample parking lot.

I couldn't agree more with you that they tried to get away with something and for that I really am disappointed with them.  But of course they are far from alone.  As I type this, there are a plethora of other places knowing full well they have cleanliness problems in their kitchen and prefer implementing closed eyes.   It isn't right and it is disappointing but in the case of Yangming, one thing's for sure, they got caught, are paying the price, and have learned their lesson.  That's one place I'd be willing to bet that you won't have to worry about their kitchen anymore.

And yes, I do believe, from those I have discussed it with, that the majority of their fans will return again for their "fix."

• Like 1

Before Village Belle that space was Frederick’s.