• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'd love suggestions for something new in a cocktail

My cocktail of choice is a Manhattan, followed by an Aviation. My issue is that I'm a small person (5'4" 115lbs) so am literally and figuratively a lightweight :D

Last night, in a fit of rebelliousness I made G&Ts for my husband and myself. I quite enjoyed being able to have a drink that lasted quite a while and I could adjust the ratios in order to make it possible to have a second one. On a weeknight, not something I would normally do. I made the second one pretty weak, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. 

I would love a suggestion or 2 of some drinks that I can try that have some of the same properties but are geared toward a Manhattan lover. Something in a highball glass that I can enjoy over ice and stretch into a second even!

I've just downloaded a few cocktail apps on my iPad but am pretty new to the apps so no luck yet.

I frequently host book club and my Manhattans are a favorite among our group, but like me they hate that one is kind of the limit so I'm hoping to offer something new along these lines as well. 

Thanks heaps!

Annette

• Like 1

How about a Presbyterian? Depending on the source, it's a highball with either Scotch or rye, topped with half ginger ale and half club soda. I first came across it made with rye, but from a quick search, it seems that Scotch is more traditional. 

Lots of drinks work well in highball format.  I rather like to gin fizz family of drinks... even things as far out as a Pegu Club or a Jasmine work well over ice and topped with seltzer or tonic in a highball glass.  I'm drinking a Jasmine highball right now.

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I love this question and Manhattans too. Many of the "highball" type cocktails I've had taste watered down so I'm curious what an ace bartender would serve based on your question.  

I am certainly not an ace nor a bartender but my first thoughts were along the lines of the previous recommendations.

I first thought of a Dark & Stormy.   Like the G&T, it's a simple, 2 ingredient drink where both the base spirit and mixer offer a lot of flavor and it's tasty over a range of concentrations, particularly with a zippy ginger beer. The dark rum has some of the warming characteristics of the rye in a Manhattan and like the drinks that Craig E and JAZ mentioned, the mixer contributes flavor and not just dilution.

My second thought was something with Campari, like the Jasmine that cdh recommended because the flavor is strong enough to tolerate some dilution.  I first thought of an Americano (equal parts Campari and sweet vermouth, topped with club soda) but on a hot day, I've also made a Negroni into a tall drink along those lines and enjoyed it quite a bit.  Plain old Campari and orange juice (extended with club soda or not) would be another option.

I'm curious to hear more ideas and what you think of them.

How about a Presbyterian? Depending on the source, it's a highball with either Scotch or rye, topped with half ginger ale and half club soda. I first came across it made with rye, but from a quick search, it seems that Scotch is more traditional. 

Don't know how this post didn't show earlier (weird computer programs). This sounds great as well, as Rye is my go-to then I will try it that way first. 

Annette

Don't know how this post didn't show earlier (weird computer programs). This sounds great as well, as Rye is my go-to then I will try it that way first. 

Annette

In the summer, I drink a cocktail, unamed as far as I know, but related to the Presbyterian.  It is

1 part rye

2 parts orange juice, preferably fresh squezed

4 parts ginger ale

all over ice

I also make a variation where the orange juice is replaced with the juice of a lime.  Either variation can stand some fiddling with ratios, depending on your taste and the ginge ale.  A stonger ginger beer could by watered down a bit without losing too much, i think. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/14/2015 at 7:31 PM, dscheidt said:

In the summer, I drink a cocktail, unamed as far as I know, but related to the Presbyterian.  It is

1 part rye

2 parts orange juice, preferably fresh squezed

4 parts ginger ale

all over ice

I also make a variation where the orange juice is replaced with the juice of a lime.  Either variation can stand some fiddling with ratios, depending on your taste and the ginge ale.  A stonger ginger beer could by watered down a bit without losing too much, i think. 

Ingredient wise, it appears to be an Arctic Cooler drink recipe with slightly different proportions.

a Horse's Neck  (Brandy, bitters, Ginger ale) would suit the bill quite well I would think.  Of course the John Collins with either gin or Whiskey (Gin, lemon juice, soda water built on ice, with bitters on top is our formula) or it's cousin the gin fizz (gin, lemon juice, soda water, straight-up), or perhaps an Addington (dry vermouth, sweet vermouth, soda water fill, twist of orange peel).  Hot drinks, maybe a Hot Toddy or a Hot Buttered Rum are basically base spirit, boiling water sugar or honey, lemon in the toddy or a lemon wheel garnish and some seasonal spices to your liking).