• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Article about Lynn Rosetto Kasper: "The Splendid Prequel"

Smithy

I've been an avid listener to (and supporter of) the radio show The Splendid Table since its inception, well before eGullet hit the scene. I credit Lynne Rosetto Kasper with (a) helping develop my pronounced domestic streak and (b) a regular battle to keep from gaining 25 pounds.

This MSP Mag article just came out about her early life and how she arrived where she is today. It's a well-told story of how life's twists can lead to an interesting and unpredicted life. The Splendid Prequel.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 1 year later...

I'm sorry to hear that Lynne Rosetto Kasper is retiring from The Splendid Table.  

Sounds like she will go part-time from March through the end of 2017 so we'll get to hear her voice for a while longer.  Not to mention the fact that they often re-run shows and segments.  Still, kind of the end of an era :(

Francis Lam is taking over as host of the show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I'm sorry to hear that Lynne Rosetto Kasper is retiring from The Splendid Table.  

Sounds like she will go part-time from March through the end of 2017 so we'll get to hear her voice for a while longer.  Not to mention the fact that they often re-run shows and segments.  Still, kind of the end of an era :(

Francis Lam is taking over as host of the show.

My current public radio station doesn't carry her, but I periodically will stream the Memphis station, which does. I love her shows; unfortunately, I've never been impressed with her recipes. I never cooked one that I didn't think needed more spice.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My public radio station discontinued carrying Splendid Table when they made a whole slew of programming changes last July. I asked them about it, and they said that they wanted to shake up their Sunday afternoon lineup because that's when they found they consistently lose a lot of their listeners. I actually didn't often listen on Sunday afternoons myself, but I do enjoy the Splendid Table as a podcast, which has always been available to me. I know two episodes of walking is a full day's worth of "points" on my fitness tracker. I do go through and remove the rerun episodes, though, so I don't have to listen more than once.

I also enjoy getting the emails, with a recipe usually from an outside cookbook. I don't think I've actually cooked anything from those recipes yet, but I like reading about them.

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2