• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Celebrating New Mexico: traditions surrounding a fall green chile roast

I'll bet if you posted your location next year you'd have at least another 150 turning up. ;-) This has been a great 'read'. Thank you very much for posting about it!

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thanks bobag87!

I'm one who'd never be bored by your chile (chili) roast either, and would love to be an honored cousin on your staff.

You put out an amazing array of New Mexican food in a feast I would love to partake of, and I can practically smell the delicious aroma of the preparations. I know it takes extra effort to share your event with us when you are working so hard to put it on, but please know, that there are many more here than the ones that post who are enjoying vicariously.

I've never enjoyed a Foster's "oilcan".  While I won't seek one out in light of your negative review, if I see it at a party or something, I'd take a sip in honor of your annual chile roast festival and the perpetuation of the memory of your dad.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

By the way this is the first year we ordered our green chile from the Hatch Chile Store.  We have struggled to find trust worthy companies.  They were fantastic and cannot come any more highly recommended.  A little more expensive, but out of the 250 lbs of chile we threw away less than 10 chiles.  Less than if I bought a full bag in NM.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
20 minutes ago, bobag87 said:

We are here once again. Happy Chile Roast season to the board.  Tamales are made and we are having our roast on Saturday.  Hope everyone is doing well.

Did you order your chiles from the Hatch Chile store again this year? I think a lot of us would be pleased to read about this year's party.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I've just read through this thread and I have to say, with my love of all things chili pepper, would happily fit into your tradition. All the food looks great.

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

I probably won't document everything but a solid night or New Mexico tortilla making tonight.  Don't have a actual count but I am guessing about 300.   Good fluffy New Mexico style tortillas are a must.  These are made for those who actually do work on Saturday roasting chiles.  Some butter, salt and a fresh roasted chile on a heated tortilla is the chile roaster's reward.  

IMG_1266.JPG

IMG_1265.JPG

IMG_1264.JPG

IMG_1263.JPG

• Like 4

OK, some photos tonight.   We made Chicken stock for stews, soaked our posole, chicos, and pinto beans from Casados Farms, made Sangrita, Red Chile Bloody Mary Mix, 14 quarts of New Mexico Red Chile Sauce, Green Chile Bean Dip, Infused Tequila (ghost and habanero), Green Chile Dip, Red Chile BBQ Sauce.  Big night tomorrow and not a whole lot of sleep ahead, but, as my exhausted wife who just got home from a work trip said, "quit complaining, you love this."  Happy Chile Roast Weekend.

• Like 4

Two huge shout outs for anyone wanting to do this outside of New Mexico. First the red chile came from New Mexico Chile and Ristra.  A fantastic company http://www.newmexicochileandristra.com.   The red is delicious.  The green came for the second year from the Hatch Chile Store. Fantastic chiles with little loss.  https://www.hatch-green-chile.com. And of course Casados Farms is crucial for our blue corn, posole and chicos, but they don't mail order much and are more of a destination.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, bobag87 said:

The chiles have arrived and the staff shirts. The family is long time Denver Broncos fans so a little commemorative staff shirt was in order this year.  

IMG_1282.JPG

IMG_1281.JPG

IMG_1280.JPG

IMG_1279.JPG

IMG_1278.JPG

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1276.JPG

I knew I liked you!

Oh, yum.

We went to a Wegmans store "only" 48 miles away last weekend for their Chilefest, and picked up a case of medium hotness Hatch chiles that were roasted especially for us. From the drum of the roaster, they got dumped into a plastic bag inside the box, and then they steamed nicely on the ride home. Once we got them home, my husband and our friend T took them out onto the back deck, where we put a plastic (easily hose-off-able) table with a couple of half sheet pans, a garbage bowl and a bowl of water, and a box of disposable gloves. While I put away the rest of our groceries (hey, we had to make the nearly 100-mile round trip really worth it!), T and my husband started in on the chiles, pulling out the cores and seeds, peeling the skins off, and setting the chiles on the sheet pans. (The bowl of water was to periodically clean the skins and seeds off hands.) I offered to help with the task, but it was deemed better for someone to keep a clean, ungloved set of hands available to open doors, refresh water, and do other things easier done with clean, ungloved hands.

Once all the chiles were cleaned, we brought the two half sheet pans indoors. Portioning and sealing turned out to be a three-person project: one person with a bowl on the scale to weigh portions, a second person to load the bags (we use a Pringles can with the bottom cut out to support the bag, with the top folded over the top of the can to stay clean. A canning funnel fits inside nicely and makes loading easy. Once the bag is loaded, it's simply a matter of pulling up the folded-down top edge and letting the full bag fall out the bottom of the tube), and a third to actually run the sealer.

From one case of chiles, we got twenty-five 8-ounce bags of chiles plus another three bags with 6 ounces. These will be shared with T and other friends who like the chiles.

It's a week later, and the car still has a faint aroma of roasted green chile.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2