• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Celebrating New Mexico: traditions surrounding a fall green chile roast

And here are the stews. We did red chile, blue and white posole and pork tenderloin. Green chile, chicos and green chile. And pinto beans with green chile. We also made everyone's favorite, carne adovada. All I have is the prep picture of the pork shoulders and chile sauce. The pork is cubed, mixed with salt, red chile sauce and blue corn meal. It is marinated overnight and slowly cooked in the oven until falling apart tender.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

• Like 3

cyalexa, I bought the BBQ guru set up for the viking gravity fed smoker and it worked incredibly well.  The smoker has a soft heat resistant seal that is soft and allows for the wires to be there with the door closed.

Thanks bobag87. I will have a closer look at my door seals next time. My smoker has an internal probe that appears accurate based on comparisons with my Thermopen. Unfortunately, it is a fairly thick probe and difficult to place in smaller pieces.

• 10 months later...

Well good to see everyone is getting their chiles.  We are getting geared up for another annual chile roast in the next few weeks.  

Yay!!!  I've been wondering if you would come back and show us this years celebration :)  Good to see you!

Shelby, not sure folks want another rehash, but I will post some updates. Tamale making is this coming Saturday with Chile Roast on the 12th.  Not sure I am quite ready for it, but we are starting to get geared up.  Happy Chile Season to everyone!

• Like 3

Shelby, not sure folks want another rehash, but I will post some updates. Tamale making is this coming Saturday with Chile Roast on the 12th.  Not sure I am quite ready for it, but we are starting to get geared up.  Happy Chile Season to everyone!

Well this "folk" would love another years worth :)

• Like 3

All right, we are a week away from our annual Chile Roast.  As always, we made tamales again a week ahead of time.  I posted some photos last year, but thought I would document the process a little more.  Yesterday was not only Tamale making but a big game for the Aggies so we fed those that made tamales and then those that came in the evening to watch the game.  We made BBQ and Green Chile and Beef Short Rib Posole. Here is the Friday night prep pile for both Chile Roast and Tamales.

IMG_0374.JPG

• Like 6

Ingredients for the red chile sauce for the tamale filing.  New Mexico red chile pods roasted in the oven, coriander seed, Mexican oregano, salt, garlic and roasted blue corn meal.  This is blended with hot water.  This is the traditional New Mexico raw red chile sauce.  This can be strained and then cooked with a roux and garlic to make the traditional cooked red chile sauce or used raw in a more rustic fashion.  We actually froze a couple of cans of it and used a PacoJet to process it super fine for a mop for the ribs we put on the smoker.

Chile1post-63972-0-70410600-1441586202.jpg

Chile2revpost-63972-0-13306400-1441586228.jpg

Edited by Smithy
Rotated photos per member request (log)
  • Like 5

We cut up three pork shoulders and boiled them with Mexican oregano, red chile powder, salt, garlic and cilantro. The meat is boiled until tender and the mashed to shred it. The red chile sauce is added to make a loose meat filling.  Here is the boiling meat, the meat before shredding and the bucket of red chile sauce.

Ch1post-63972-0-03216100-1441586778.jpg

Ch2post-63972-0-23771100-1441586801.jpg

Ch3revpost-63972-0-00391600-1441586823.jpg

Edited by Smithy
  • Like 9

Wow, sounds like you had a busy and productive night. Hope it was also lots of fun, which I suspect it was!!! 

Thanks so much for sharing, I love seeing your pics and reading about your prep work. Looking forward to the rest of the story, heh. 

• Like 3

Wow. The photos look glorious, and you're only at the beginning of the party! Thanks very much for posting. Believe me - you aren't even close to a boring level of detail. Wish I could be there! :wub:

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Masa prep -- we use roasted blue corn meal.  It is mixed in a 50/50 ratio with white masa de harina and then water is added to form the masa base.  We also use a little Native American culinary ash in the mixture.  It greatly increases the blue color of the corn meal.  Definitely not needed and has no effect on the flavor, but it does make a dramatic difference in the color.  This base is refrigerated to hydrate over night.  Then it is mixed with roasted pork lard, red chile powder, stock from the boiling of the meat, salt and baking powder.  This is beaten until fluffy.  We made 14 batches in the little stand mixer.  I really want an industrial size mixer to make this go a lot faster -- oh well.

IMG_0384.JPG

IMG_0385.JPG

IMG_0386.JPG

Ch4revpost-63972-0-53908300-1441643874.jpg

Ch5post-63972-0-28433700-1441643878.jpg

Edited by Smithy
  • Like 7

Not sure why I can't fix the sideways photos.  Anyhow, down to the actual work -- corn husks are boiled and the tamales are assembled and steamed.  We then freeze them and re-steam when time to eat.  Now onto the prep for Chile Roast weekend.  

Ch1revpost-63972-0-25995700-1441644275.jpg

Ch2revpost-63972-0-92876800-1441644300.jpg

Ch3post-63972-0-22114900-1441644331.jpg

Ch4post-63972-0-27701700-1441644354.jpg

Ch5post-63972-0-28771600-1441644381.jpg

Edited by Smithy
  • Like 11

Those Tamales look awesome! We canned another 13 half pints of salsa today. 5 lbs Roma tomatoes, couple lbs each Poblano chiles & onions.

Life is good.

PS

Those mild Hatch Chiles we canned on Saturday... perfect as is as antipasto. C. Eats them right out of the jar. I did make a frittata with the mild hatch this morning (sorry no pics). It was very tasty indeed as herself attested to.

--edited to add info. 

Edited by Jon Savage (log)

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--