• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite vegetable

Potatoes: Roasted new potatoes, with rosemary, sea salt or kosher salt, and drizzled with either OO or duck fat, or as colcannon, or simply mashed with butter, light cream and/or milk. (NO ROASTED GARLIC!!!!)

Honorable mention goes to cabbage and its role in a New England boiled dinner, Irish corned beef and cabbage, and Hungarian dolmades -- cabbage rolls stuffed with pork, rice, raisins, seasoned onions, paprika and other spices and cooked in a broth....among others.

What's yours?

SA

I would like to put in a vote for parsnips. They are might favorite "now". I think it changes on a regular basis. Roasted and sauteed, with a little brown sugar and butter, then deglazed with a little brandy or boiled in cream and butter andthen pureed with the cooking stock

Tough decision. Broccoli: steamed, sautéed with garlic, roasted, in Asian dishes, puréed into soup ...

No, maybe potatoes, in all their zillions of manifestations.

But wait, then there's Swiss Chard... and spinach ... and all those other leafy greens ...

And in season tomatoes, sigh.

Or even the humble green bean.

Damn, SA, this is hard!

Potatoes in almost any form... (especially those mentioned by Soba, ie. roasted, mashed ) or french fries, gratin, rosti, etc.

Asparagus, Roasted w/ olive oil, sprinkled w/balsamic, s & p; or steamed and served w/homemade mayo.

Artichokes w/ homemade mayo or butter to dip it in.

Creamed Spinach or Swiss Chard (from the garden) is awfully good too.

Then there is fresh corn on the cob... yum. I can't stop... I must be hungry! Yes, it's dinner time... :raz:

Not to speak for Suzanne, but re chard.

Strip the leaves from the thick stems. I like the stems for slice thinly on the bias. Saute in butter or steam. Or just cook the leaves, cut the stems into batonettes and marinate in citrus and salt for a tsukemono (pickle).

Or roll chard leaves within Napa cabbage leaves, slice into two inch lengths, stand upright in a pool of clam broth and ponzu...

etc etc etc

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

This is almost as hard as choosing a favorite fruit. I wasn't able to do that at all.

I love: roasted cauliflower, parsnip puree, sauteed mushrooms of all kinds, asparagus in the spring and sweet potatoes. In August, tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes.

Edited by Sandra Levine (log)

I am rather seasonal, but I am lucky enough to live in a four season state with transitional weather:

Summer: Nj tomatoes, and sweet corn with a stick of butter. and then more butter. oh, and some kosher salt

Spring: New potatoes, with rosemary and garlic. Asparagus as Lady T described, with lemon and ppper

Fall: Parsnips, carrots, and brussel sprouts, roasted. . Butternut squash, too.

Winter: braised Cabbage, mushrooms

Edited by Kim WB (log)

Beets any style whatsoever, same for Brussels sprouts and spinach, cooked any style, but not raw.

Ran, and just to think, I have been enjoying your posts so far! :biggrin: BEETS are the ONLY truely terrible food on earth..like eating dirt. Though, as discussed on other threads, I have never tasted durian.

Tomatoes are a fruit. (Sorry, I couldn't help it.)

edit: In the U.S., tomatoes are botanically classified as a fruit, but legally they're a vegetable. This is ridiculous, but stems from a U.S. Supreme Court decision sometime in the 1890s (exact date), where the tomato was classified as a vegetable in order to levy the 10% tariff for vegetables that was exacted to protect U.S. growers.

Edited by Toby (log)

Without question, green beans. I love going to the farmer's market in the summer and buying them from the Hmong ladies -- they seem to pick them a little earlier than the American's, or else they are growing a different variety. When I had a veg garden, I grew tons of pole beans and would just stand and pick and eat.

My kids current fav prepration is to steam, add lemon juice and kosher salt. We can eat two pounds like this, and if there are any leftovers, they are wonderful cold, eaten while standing in front of the fridge with the door open.

Tomatoes (home-grown, in August) are a close second.

Oh, but maybe it's fresh sweet corn (again in August).

My ideal meal in August is sweet corn, tomatoes and green beans. Steak is merely a garnish to a meal like this.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Sweet corn. As opposed to most of what I stuff in my mouth, I'm very picky about corn. At home (Plainville, CT) I buy it from the stand on the Farmington Flats. They never give a break on price, but they DO offer 2 varieties every day. How can you go wrong with a veggie stand surrounded by 2-300 acres of sweet corn?

Snap peas

Termaters from my own garden, still warm, eaten out of hand with sea salt.

Kim, I find your reaction to beets interesting.  Do you feel this way about all root vegetables?  What about carrots, for instance?  By the way, this is ranitidine asking.

Oh, I didn't realize the alternate name was you!

I LOVE root vegetables..turnips, parsnips, carrots..its just beets. IT's the only food that I don't like it..I mean, there are foods I prefer over other foods, but beets are the only thing on my "will not eat" list.