• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

EVOO in Ontario

palo

I live in Orillia, a small town with few grocery store choices. I want to buy my oil in a grocery store, not on-line, not a gourmet shop (of which there are none). Now this is the kicker, I don't want to spend a lot of money. The oil would be used mainly in pasta sauces, in dressings and occasionally for dipping bread.

I have been buying Bertoli, but researching online has suggested Coleveti is better and I have seen it in stores. Anyone have an opinion or alternative suggestion? I have access to President's Choice products. This is the price range I am looking at. Thanks

p

Edited by palo (log)

Look no further. This is great stuff for the price and it's on sale this week for $7.99 a litre, regularly $8.99. I used to buy expensive olive oil at an Italian grocer but I quit when I tried this. It comes in a 500ml bottle as well so you could always try that size to see how you like it. They also have an "old world" one which is slightly more expensive but i have not tried it. It also has a handy pop up spout.20150906_203612.jpg

Edited by ElsieD (log)

If you can get to a Costco once a year or so their Kirkland brand Tuscan olive oil is well regarded.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Bertoli & Colavita (not Coleveti) are on the list of oils found to fail the standards for EVOO, at least as found in the USA.  Here's a couple of links, there are others.

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/oliveoil.asp

https://www.templateroller.com/template/2129651/report-evaluation-of-extra-virgin-olive-oil-sold-in-california.html

these tests as indicated are not new.

i find it interesting that the tests do not seem to differentiate poorly made oil from olives  and adulterated oils :

""  A low level of DAGs indicates that a sample is hydrolyzed, oxidized, of poor quality, and/or adulterated with cheaper refined oils,  ""

quality well made EVOO deteriorates quickly at room temp

so when you find some, keep it in the refrigerator.