• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous vide creme brulee

Josh71

I made creme brulee using sous vide for the first time, and I am not quite satisfied with the result.

Recipe that I used:

- 2 cups of single cream (I cannot find double cream)

- 4 large egg yolks

- 4 tbsp white sugar

- 1 tsp vanilla extract

I was using small "Weck jar" (160 ml) as container, which I can submerge it in the sous vide pan.

I warmed up the cream a little bit.

And I used blender to blend all the ingredients.

Then I strained it into the jars.

Anova set to 82C and I sous vide for 45 minutes.

Store in the refrigerator for 12 hours.

The result, the custard was properly set, but to me it's not as "firm" as creme brulee that I had in many restaurants. It's kind of too soft. Although, it taste delicious!! :)

So, is this "texture" normal for sous vide creme brulee?

Or something can be improved on my recipe or technique?

Is it because of the single cream instead of double cream?

Is it because the recipe needs more egg yolk? I saw some recipes with 5 or 6 yolks, with the same amount of cream.

Is it because of the blender? Probably too long.

Is it the temperature and timing? I saw many different temperature and timing, like ChefSteps 80C for 1 hour.

Searched here, and found one with the same issue. Unfortunately, no feedback from other users:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/148235-modernist-cuisine-sous-vide-custards-not-settingfirming

Edited by Josh71 (log)

My experience with SV Creme Brulee was also disappointing.  In mine the texture was right - recall that it went an hour(?) in the bath.  The flavor was a not great, one of those not worth the calories things.  I don't have the recipe in front of me but typically start with Chef Step,,sometimes Serious Eats, MC, Keller, and even here.

It's on my list to try agani but damn that list is long.. 

Edited by daveb (log)
  • Like 1

My experience with SV Creme Brulee was also disappointing.  In mine the texture was right - recall that it went an hour(?) in the bath.  The flavor was a not great, one of those not worth the calories things.  I don't have the recipe in front of me but typically start with Chef Step,,sometimes Serious Eats, MC, Keller, and even here.

It's on my list to try agani but damn that list is long.. 

Thanks dave, I think I will change the timing for next time. An hour or even hour 15 minutes, just to see if the texture would be better.

I am thinking of double cream might improve, because it's thicker. But, yeah, trying to cut down the calories :)

Have you had a chance to consult the time/temp/yolk/texture table in the MC book? It lets you dial in whatever consistency you want in a custard, by varying the yolk percentage and/or the temperature. I haven't worked with the table, but it looks like a good place to start.

Notes from the underbelly

Firmer?  Add a whole egg instead of just yolks, it's the egg white, that provides the firmness.

In regards to crème brulee, there's not much difference between S.V. and poaching in a waterbath, really not much difference at all....

Maybe not for the procedure the OP described, but some recipes would have you SV in a bag and then pour out into the ramekins for setting in the fridge. This has not worked for me before.

Firmer?  Add a whole egg instead of just yolks, it's the egg white, that provides the firmness.

In regards to crème brulee, there's not much difference between S.V. and poaching in a waterbath, really not much difference at all....

Firm probably not the right word, but "thick" is. So, thicker.

I will re-do this with modified recipe:

Before:

- 2 cups of single cream (I cannot find double cream)

- 4 large egg yolks

- 4 tbsp white sugar

- 1 tsp vanilla extract

- Sous vide at 82C for 45 minutes

Next try:

- 2 cups of double cream 

- 5 large egg yolks

- 4 tbsp white sugar

- 1 tsp vanilla extract

- Sous vide at 82C for 60 minutes

But not too soon :)