• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideas for PMCA courses for Artisan Chocolatiers

Kerry Beal

Mark Heim, who was one of our star educators at the Confectionery Workshop this year, is a member of the PMCA's (Pennsylvania Manufacturing Confectioners Association) education committee. 

I have attended a couple of PMCA courses for professionals over the years - Panning, which was held at Madison, WI, Premium Chocolate Centers (with Peter Greweling), as well as attending the PMCA annual production conference in Hershey, then in Lancaster, PA more times than I can count.

Up until now the PMCA has offered courses mainly aimed at folks who work in the large confectionary companies - 'big chocolate and candy'. The artisan confectioners that have attended their courses often find themselves learning more theory and science than they hoped - and learning how confectionary is made with big machinery rather than the smaller equipment or handmade that most of us use.

Mark wrote to a few of us asking for our input - he stated that "In the PMCA education committee meeting we discussed developing a series of courses specifically for the artisan confectioner. They would have less of the chemistry and production equipment, and more the the technique, unique ingredients, target more specific confection types, and how to take existing or new recipes in the direction they may want, including troubleshooting. They could also be shorter in length so owners wouldn't be away as long and at less cost."

They are hoping for suggestions for topics, what you would like to be taught, course length - essentially any input that would allow them to create and offer a course relevant to artisan chocolatiers and confectioners.

Let's hear it - if you could attend the perfect course for the artisan chocolatier or confectioner - what would it be?

I would want some theory and science!  Shelf life and calculating aW without expensive testing or equipment is probably a big one for a lot of us.  I get so paranoid about shelf life of bonbons.  I would love some experience with a small tempering machine and enrobing line like the Selmis that a few folks here have.  And panning and airbrushing.  And small batch bean to bar.

• Like 2

Formula development - turning an idea into a confection?

Shelf Life

Common Problems (and how to fix them) - for example, cracking shells; chocolate that won't release from a mold;

Different tempering techniques

How to determine what chocolate to use - matching a center to a specific chocolate and percentages

• Like 2

Thoughts on length of course, cost etc?

Depends on where it is. If in PA, I would rather have it longer to balance the expense of travel. 4 days? About $1000 is my max for the course as you have hotel on top of that.

• Like 1

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Thoughts on length of course, cost etc?

2-3 days, as far below $1k as possible to be competetive with or lower than Callebaut academy or Ecole Valrhona. 

On one hand, as Ruth mentioned, it has to be long/intense enough to be worth traveling for, on the other, it can be difficult to get more than a few days away from a small business.  I would be much more likely to attend something on the West coast - Seattle, Portland, SF, LA, or Vancouver BC... or at least west of the Rockies.

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...