• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Doughnut Glaze Question

Kim Shook

I made some apple fritters awhile back.  I decided to glaze them and used a recipe that called for 1 cup apple cider, 2 cups of confectioner’s sugar and 1 tablespoon of light corn syrup.  They were delicious – especially fresh and warm, but I wasn’t satisfied with the glaze.  It made them a bit soggy – I was hoping for a more glazed doughnut-like glaze – the kind that dries solidly and flakes off when bitten into.  This just kind of soaked into the fritters.  I’m wondering if the culprit was the corn syrup.  What do you all think?

med_gallery_3331_172_159823.jpg

• Like 2

I suspect you're right about the corn syrup. However, here's another idea: could the pH of the vinegar affect the glaze's ability to form a shattery surface? I think your fritters look wonderful. I'd be pleased to help you test. :-D Still, I can understand your disappointment at the finished texture.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I suspect you're right about the corn syrup. However, here's another idea: could the pH of the vinegar affect the glaze's ability to form a shattery surface? I think your fritters look wonderful. I'd be pleased to help you test. :-D Still, I can understand your disappointment at the finished texture.

Just apple cider.  Not apple cider vinegar.  Not sure I'd like that at all.  :raz:

• Like 2

Whoops! Sorry for not reading more carefully! :laugh:

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I would skip the corn syrup. Take your cider and reduce it to about a quarter of its original quantity and then let it cool. Mix the resultant cider into the confectioners sugar until just at coating constancy then either dip your fritters or pour the glaze over them while on a rack over a pan. The glaze should harden but will be opaque and not clear as in your photo.

• Like 2

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.