• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 5)

Jon Savage

Earlier this week I was in curry mode, so I made a coconut curry with leftover grilled chicken, chckpeas and sweet potatoes. In an attempt not to make it so hot I coudn't eat it, I cut way back on my curry-powder-on-steroids, with the result that the sauce was a tad bland. About to ditch that curry powder and go to a milder blend.

curry0908.jpg

Another night, I got in the notion for comfort food and made chicken pot pie. No photo of that one.

Glad Fall's getting here. I'm ready for some of my own "studies in browns" -- braises, soups, stews. Tonight is smoked sausage in a tomato-lentil ragout, I think. Maybe some roasted potatoes to go with it.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

About once a year. I revert to my Scottish childhood. (Some say I never left the childhood part.)

About once a week my mother would cook Scotland's true national dish - mince 'n' tatties. She wasn't much of a cook (to be polite), but she could pull a basic version of this one out. For those you don't know, it is minced (ground) beef or lamb stewed with onions, carrots and peas. When I was a kid, this was served with mashed potato (tatties).

When I went to university, I attempted to make it nut didn't have anything to mash the tatties with, so served the boiled potatoes alongside and crushed them with my fork.  I found I much preferred this to my mother's lumpy, under-seasoned mash and have served it that way ever since. I do add butter to the potatoes, something my mother wouldn't even have dreamed of - we never had butter at home, instead relying on some whale blubber by-product to grease our way through life. 

I also add things my mother would never have entertained even if she had heard of them - chilli peppers and Worcestershire sauce. Sometimes anchovies. Sometimes star anise.

It is essential (in my book) to serve the potatoes un-crushed - the diner does that, while seasoning to his or her preferred levels.

mnt.jpg

That'll do me.

Last close-up til next year.

mnt2.jpg

mnt1.jpg

If only I could get haggis in China!

Heck I still make this fairly frequently and I think my sister who still lives in England makes it at least once a week! Pure comfort food. I mean the mince not the haggis!

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Fresh corn, peppers, onions, sausage (lots) and lots of cheese. I like a combination of fontina and parm. Sometimes some bread - crumbs or cubes - and an egg to hold everything together. I recently did a recipe from a Spanish cook book - zucchini stuffed with roasted tomatoes mixed with tuna (tonno in oil) and allioli, topped with breadcrumbs. Very good.

An egg to bind everything together is what is missed! Thanks. I am not keen on bread crumbs because I find the texture too "paste-like" except if it is sprinkled on top to be browned.

That stuffed Zuke recipe is from New Spanish Table, I think. I looked at that recipe. Seems to me the allioli would make the Zuke sing, even rotuts might be tempted to sample some. Fontina and Parmesan is a nice combo.

I think a bechamel sauce as a base for a stuffing would be good.

I have been making the Zuke boat and then microwaving it until about half done. Then I stuff it, place on some tomato sauce and bake covered at 370F for about 20 minutes then uncovered for another 10 minutes or so, then broil to get the top crispy and brown.

• Like 2

An egg to bind everything together is what is missed! Thanks. I am not keen on bread crumbs because I find the texture too "paste-like" except if it is sprinkled on top to be browned.

That stuffed Zuke recipe is from New Spanish Table, I think. I looked at that recipe. Seems to me the allioli would make the Zuke sing, even rotuts might be tempted to sample some. Fontina and Parmesan is a nice combo.

I think a bechamel sauce as a base for a stuffing would be good.

I have been making the Zuke boat and then microwaving it until about half done. Then I stuff it, place on some tomato sauce and bake covered at 370F for about 20 minutes then uncovered for another 10 minutes or so, then broil to get the top crispy and brown.

Yes - The zuke with tuna and allioli is from The New Spanish Table. It's really good. But my favorite recipe from that book is the Basque chicken with peppers. Unless it's the sizziling garlic shrimp or..or..or... In other words, I've liked everything I've done from this book.

I usually steam the zuke boats - using a wok and bamboo steamer. Then I do as you do - bake and a brief time under the broiler to top brown. 

My regular zucchin are done for the season but I still have a few small golden zucchini to deal with.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

I made the saffron roasted tomato sauce and the spicy tomato sauce from that book, also delicious. I also made the paella using rabbit and snails, thought to be the original ingredients when the farm workers would make lunch in the fields from what they could hunt, rabbits and snails...if you call that hunting, ha,ha. It was very nice.

• Like 1

Jeff Smith had a recipe for Haggis. He said it would serve 4 Scots or 20 people from Sweden. 

I have made haggis ( a long time ago) but the problem here is that they don't do sheep in this part of the world. My nearest sheep is literally thousands of miles away in NW China. (I'm in the south).  Also, the required spicing is unobtainable. 

I can't even import the necessary (at least not legally). Need to wait for a trip home. 

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

It may not seem like much and sorry about the paper plates … but I made these rolls on the grill and they came put perfectly …the concord grape jelly I made  last week from a record harvest ..and did it  with a propane burner out doors

so this bun  with butter and cheddar and grape jelly?

a complete feast to me today! 

(DIY kitchen remodel in progress) 

these roles are my go to ..my kids used to call them "clam buns" because they always looked like clams when we filled them 

I guess? 

/21375654621_1650d33b34.jpg

I ate too early I think I need another one! 

• Like 11
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I committed the eGullet Dinner thread sin of not taking a picture before I devoured my dinner tonight. I threw a burger on the grill along with an onion slice and a couple strips of bacon, melted some blue cheese on the burger and threw it all in a grilled pretzel bun with mayo, creole mustard, ketchup and tomato from the garden. My grandmother always said if a burger wasn't messy, it wasn't a good burger... this was definitely a good burger.

• Like 7

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Not particularly a feast for the eyes, but it worked in the mouth.

scc1.jpg

Squid couscous with capers, olives, coriander, Chinese chives and lemon. Drizzled with EVOO. Served with sugar snap peas and shiitake mushrooms stir-fried with chilli and garlic. 

scc2.jpg

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Happy Sunday, everyone!

I think a hint of fall is in the air.  It's still hot--90's all this week, but the mornings are cool and the humidity is less.  I'm sad...I enjoyed gardening so much this summer.  Soon I'll be stuck inside cleaning out the basement or something ICK.  The upside:  football has started :)  AND if it's gonna be winter, we better get a TON of snow.  

This coming week my husband's hunting buddy is coming to stay (which equals a huge amount of fall cleaning for Shelby--I guess it's good motivation) , so there should be a lot of game coming in.  Doves and teal (ducks).  

Liuzhou, I really like squid.  Your dish looks so fresh.  Nice idea using the olives.

Hummingbird, I wish I could use the grill as well as you!  Baking bread on there is quite a talent and yours looks very good!

Kerry, I spy something that Anna made with her IP in your bowl :)  Your eggs look perfect.

A few meals:

Pork enchiladas again.  That black stuff on the tomatoes is black sea salt.  It's too big for my taste...you have to let it "melt" or else you get a lot of crunchy salt.  And, once it melts it makes your food look like it has a big bruise lol.

P9080718.JPG

Pizza night.  We had a hankering for cheeseburger pizza (the one on the left) so I made that along with a regular one with Canadian bacon.  The cheeseburger one was fun and good.

P9110721.JPG

Last night I fried up some catfish.  Okra and mac and cheese to go with.

P9120722.JPG

• Like 13

Simple dinner.

Largely cooked fedelini tossed w/ and cooked down in the pan with the last of the pork mince - tomato - caper - etc sauce from here plus some pasta cooking water. Sliced green zucchini sautéed w/ lots of chopped crushed garlic (Music) ( rice bran oil.

DSCN6327a_800.jpg

• Like 4

Shelby – every single thing looks delicious (except the okra :raz: ), but I really want some good pizza now! 

liamsaunt – I don’t know if I’ve mentioned it, but your food always makes me hungry – no matter what time of the day or night I see it. We share many tastes!

Chili dogs for dinner last night.  Dogs – nicely charred:

med_gallery_3331_114_83618.jpg

Corn and pickle-y things:

med_gallery_3331_114_3299.jpg

A veritable mess of beans:

med_gallery_3331_114_126687.jpg

Plated with slaw and baked beans:

med_gallery_3331_114_66674.jpg

• Like 10

liamsaunt

WOW

have you been down to NewHaven to Pepe's

and had their white clam pizza ?

swooning here myself.

Yes, I have had both Sally's and Pepe's pizza.  My husband went to law school in New Haven and those were our usual dinner out locations when I visited him.  At the time I liked them both equally.  It has been many years though.

• Like 1