• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 5)

Jon Savage

OK Norm tell us more about the turkey. Stuffed/unstuffed? Brined/wet or dry? Temps? foil or no foil?

I do our Thanksgiving turkey every year and am fascinated by the challenge of trying to make it good. Rarely an easy feat.

The turkey was not brined or stuffed but I did cook it with a carrot, stalk of celery, 1/2 an onion and a peeled orange inside, which was not part of the Nesco recipe. I thawed a 21lb. frozen turkey which did not need brining. I think the only time a turkey needs brining is when it's fresh killed and not processed in any way.  Nesco roaster ovens are well known for making good turkeys and cakes.  The problem with a Nesco is that it doesn't brown things very well.  I looked up a recipe specifically for Nesco and it said an option is to baste it with a browning sauce: salt & pepper to taste with a teaspoon of Kitchen Bouquet and 1/4 C. melted butter and poultry seasoning.  For seasoning I used 1 teaspoon sage and 1/4 tsp. thyme. After regular prep, and initial baste,  It said to start at 400º and after an hour to use a baster to remove liquid from inside the bird and save for gravy, baste with browning sauce again and reduce to 350 and cook until done to 180 at the thigh. It said to allow 15 to 20 minutes per pound.  That was not good advice.  It was done in less than three hours.  15 to 20 minutes per pound would have been 5 to 7 hours.  While the turkey was not overcooked nor dry, next time, I think I will cook the turkey to 160-165. The roaster oven comes with a rack that holds the bird off the bottom and makes for easy removal. I basted the turkey with the browing sauce a couple more times after turning it down to 350. 

• Like 4

Thanks for the Crepes:

I'm still intrigued by racheld's tale of muscadine pie under the magnolia's on a Mississippi plantation, and yet may still overcome my aversion to pie crust making.

I can make a moderately decent pie crust, but I don't do it often enough that I'm adept at it. I plunk down the $2.89 for the Pillsbury rolled-up version in a box in the dairy case. Mine is no better than theirs when I'm having a good day, and significantly worse when I'm not. The Doughboy is consistent.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

NM:

have you ever tried a deconstructed turkey, roasted on top off your stuffing ? you can make as much stuffing as you like

this is 'two bags' of cornbread + trimmings

before SV  I used to do the Turks this way ;

stuffing mound :

Turkey Stuff.jpg

done

Turkey Done.jpg

moist, both white and dark cooked correctly

no bones just slice !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 9

I'd love the recipe Norm,

Here is the recipe given me by Windmill Inn on Rainbow Road south of Chapman Ks. 

PRAIRIE PUFF WITH SEASONAL FRUIT

2 Tbs. Butter

3 eggs

2/3 C. milk

2/3 C. flour

pinch of salt

1/2 tsp. Almond flavor

Put 2 Tbs. Butter in cast iron or oven proof skillet. Put skillet in over and preheat to 425 degrees.

Meanwhile, place eggs in processor and process for about 5 seconds. Add milk and process for another 5 to 10 seconds. Add the flour to the eggs and milk mixture and process for about 15 seconds. Next add a pinch of salt and 1/2 tsp. Almond flavor.

When oven is heated, pour batter into skillet and bake for 20 minutes.

For summer months, offer fresh berries, melons and other summer fruit mixed with sugar.

In winter months peel and slice apples. Sauté the apples in butter, toss with honey and add brown sugar and cinnamon. Just before serving add sliced bananas.

Top with powdered sugar

Serve with syrup of your choice.

• Like 1

NM:

have you ever tried a deconstructed turkey, roasted on to pf your stuffing ?

before SV  I used to do the Turks this way ;

stuffing mound :

attachicon.gifTurkey Stuff.jpg

done

attachicon.gifTurkey Done.jpg

moist, both white and dark cooked correctly

no bones just slice !

I wanted to do the most conservative way possible on this trial run so as to see what changes I thought would be good for later.  A long time friend in New Jersey told me that she does that with the dressing too, and I thought about doing it in the future but this turkey had about half an inch of fat in the bottom of the cooker after it was done so I am wondering if I should try it after all?

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

Thanks for the Crepes – thank you!  Dessert was a pound cake with an assortment of toppings.  Nice to know I’m not the only one who thinks that about making gravy ahead of time.  Most of my family was skeptical – until they tasted my turkey gravy!  Glad I inspired the popovers!  Try these sometime with beef: http://www.recipecircus.com/recipes/Kimberlyn/QuickBreads/Gruyre_and_Black_Pepper_Popovers.html

Heidih – thanks for providing the link to Marlene’s potato recipe for Elsie.  And for the endorsement!

Norm – your turkey is gorgeous!  We always use either the Nesco or smoker to do the turkey.  The Nesco makes it so incredibly moist  and frees up the oven to boot!

All the wings got me hankering for some, but Mr. Kim picked chili dogs, so that’s the picture you’ll be seeing tomorrow!

Last night was roast beef sandwich with leftovers and marinated cucumbers:

med_gallery_3331_114_153549.jpg

Yorkies subbing for bread.  The beef was much more tender this time.  I braised it for an hour or so in gravy and it was perfect.  Served with some still-good corn:

med_gallery_3331_114_89275.jpg

• Like 10

the above Roasted Deconstructed Turkey was a modified version of 

Jacques & Julia  's method  they demonstrated on they fine combines PBS series.

the mod was simple :  Julia cut off the back, and left the breast meat on the carcass which tented the stuffing.

I de-boned the whole breast , and removed the 2 tendons ( one / breast muscle ) on each side. there are then 4 tendons to remove.

this makes a big difference.

other wise , Kudos  Jacques & Julia.

should you ever try this, there is no going back.

thanks to NM

Ill try this with one of those Massive 'Roided chickens when they go on sale for 0.99 $

Roasted Chicken and stuffing !

pretty big Yum now that its a bit cooler.   BTW with stock and gravy via the IP !

:biggrin:

• Like 1

Lamb rack done in the oven; green beans and garlic mayo, roasted honey pearl onions and the lurker zucchini stuffed with wild rice, cheese and mushrooms.

attachicon.gifDSC01057.jpg

Now THAT makes me wish my neighbor would give me some more lurker zucchini.  Maybe it isn't too late in the season yet.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Rotuts, there wasn't much zucchini. A thin shell and the stuffing didn't have any in it, just wild rice, mushrooms, a little onion and lots of cheese incorporated into the stuffing and them some grated on top. So I think had you been at the table, you may have been tempted!

I found another lurker after being away a few days in Vancouver. I shall have to dream up another stuffing...maybe a southern style with andouille sausage/beef and corn. Oh, and cheese, lots of it.

• Like 2

""  A thin shell ""

potato skins , crisp'd up might make  " thin shells ""

just saying  ...

Id love to be there

with the potato skins , crisped up

:laugh: 

""" Zukes for NoOne  """

my new motto.

nice in your compost pile Id think

i.e. :  "" there wasn't much zucchini ""

but more than none I take it ?

there is a great deal of Hope here !

I detected No Green Bell Peppers !

you are indeed on the right path.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I took my sweet time today. If I had a cat it would have gone insane! Am a slow eater but when it's crab for dinner you'd have gone to bed before I was done eating.

The crabs got a rather nice deeper red colour from Sichuan chili with black bean sauce.

eZwERV5.jpg

3egYpLs.jpg

• Like 8

I found another lurker after being away a few days in Vancouver. I shall have to dream up another stuffing...maybe a southern style with andouille sausage/beef and corn. Oh, and cheese, lots of it.

Fresh corn, peppers, onions, sausage (lots) and lots of cheese. I like a combination of fontina and parm. Sometimes some bread - crumbs or cubes - and an egg to hold everything together. I recently did a recipe from a Spanish cook book - zucchini stuffed with roasted tomatoes mixed with tuna (tonno in oil) and allioli, topped with breadcrumbs. Very good.

• Like 2

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Simple is good. Very good. This will be repeated often for the next several months.

I plagiarized cyalexa.  Figs were on sale today as was prosciutto.  Pretend that I posted her stuff.  Tragically dinner is delayed due to insufficiently cold Soave for MR.  But this is what mai tais are for!  No harm done.*  Cheeses are Roquefort and Humbolt Fog.  Served with remainder of yesterday's above average baguette.

Last night was chicken cacciatore, The Romagnolis' Table recipe (pp 196, 197).  Sautéed mushrooms.  Boursin cheese. Particularly good. Lovely, even.  Did I mention the baguette was excellent?

*Except that I fell over trying to change my underpants.  Mai tais are like that.  Just ask Richard Nixon.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Steamed garlic shrimp.

DSCN6315b_800.jpg

Dressed w/ a quick drizzle of light soy sauce & sliced scallions.

Before steaming.

DSCN6309b_800.jpg

Shrimp bought alive. Partly butterflied w/ kitchen shears, deveined, marinated w. good Shaohsing wine & sea salt. Minced garlic treated w/ shimmeringly-hot oil, zapped for about 30 secs. Garlic & oil stuffed into the slits of the retrieved shrimp in an enameled metal dish.

Yu choy sum – blanched in oiled hot water & drained, dressed w/ oyster sauce & white pepper.

DSCN6319a_600.jpg

Several bowls of white rice.

• Like 14

Fall is definitely in the air. Scubado's "study in brown", Norm's turkey and rotuts deconstructed, and especially Okanagancook's rack of lamb look perfectly delicious for this time of year! We'll wait for Thanksgiving for turkey, and it'll most likely be cooked in the Big Easy. It's had an easy time of it this spring / summer with us being away.

With my being back to teaching this week, meals have been quick and simple. Last night, a lovely piece of pecan-crusted steelhead trout, stir-fried baby bak choy, and multigrains cooked as rice.

eGulletSteelHeadTrout8105.jpg

Huiray - those fresh shrimp look great...No worries about getting a cold or a hot vampire bite for you! :biggrin:

• Like 10

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

About once a year. I revert to my Scottish childhood. (Some say I never left the childhood part.)

About once a week my mother would cook Scotland's true national dish - mince 'n' tatties. She wasn't much of a cook (to be polite), but she could pull a basic version of this one out. For those you don't know, it is minced (ground) beef or lamb stewed with onions, carrots and peas. When I was a kid, this was served with mashed potato (tatties).

When I went to university, I attempted to make it nut didn't have anything to mash the tatties with, so served the boiled potatoes alongside and crushed them with my fork.  I found I much preferred this to my mother's lumpy, under-seasoned mash and have served it that way ever since. I do add butter to the potatoes, something my mother wouldn't even have dreamed of - we never had butter at home, instead relying on some whale blubber by-product to grease our way through life. 

I also add things my mother would never have entertained even if she had heard of them - chilli peppers and Worcestershire sauce. Sometimes anchovies. Sometimes star anise.

It is essential (in my book) to serve the potatoes un-crushed - the diner does that, while seasoning to his or her preferred levels.

mnt.jpg

That'll do me.

Last close-up til next year.

mnt2.jpg

mnt1.jpg

If only I could get haggis in China!

• Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto