• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 5)

Jon Savage

It isn't the least bit autumnal here yet, still 30ºC and above, but something inside me was anticipating cooler weather and suggested this.

I guess it is almost a deconstructed steak and kidney pie/pudding without the pie/pudding part.  When I hone my non-existent puff pastry skills or China starts selling the frozen stuff, then I'll do the real thing.

sk.jpg

Beef and pork kidney with onion, garlic, carrot slowly stewed in red wine. There is some Thai fish sauce and Sichuan chilli flakes in there, too. I usually serve it with potatoes, but tonight decided on rice. There was some boring broccoli on the side.

Not, I concede, the prettiest dish you have seen, but please believe me it tastes pretty.

BONUS: While preparing this and look for something totally different I found my favourite, somewhat battered waiter's friend corkscrew which went missing in my house move four months ago! Deep joy!

friend.jpg

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Gosh, Kim, your crepes look awesome to me.  You've triggered a memory that I can't quite put my finger on, but I think my mom made something like that..or maybe it was my Grammy.  I remember loving the sauce.  I've never attempted crepes, but you make me want to try.

Okanagan, great looking spread and I love your tablecloth.  So cheerful and homey.

Liuzhou, I'm so glad your friend got to come again!  I know how very special she is to you.  Your shrimp look perfect and I'm sure that her tooth felt better at least for a bit due to the great company, food and wine!

Yesterday was national taco day so.........

PA020766.JPG

(I had forgotten to take a picture until after I had a bite)

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 9

A very late night meal.

Harm Choy Tong, last night's version.  White rice.

DSCN6570b_800.jpg

Water, chopped-up skin-on fat-on chicken quarter, sliced galangal, sliced garlic, trimmed sliced pre-soaked pickled large-leaf mustard, sliced ripe tomato, sea salt, "aged" rice vinegar, rock sugar, simmer; chunked firm tofu towards the end.

• Like 2

Two recent dinners - 
Tonight a very Marcella Hazan meal - sweet and sour tuna steaks and fried potatoes with rosemary and garlic. My local supermarket had tuna steaks for $5.99/lb! Why didn't I get multiple pounds to put in the freezer? I must not be thinking straight due to an incipient head cold.

DSC00321.jpg

Thursday: Pasta with calamari, the small amount of left over roasted garlic/roasted pepper sauce I had in the fridge and a jar of home canned tomatoes (also in the fridge) that had failed to seal.

DSC00308.jpg

• Like 9

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Kim Shook,

Sorry your Cordon Bleu crepes dish was so disappointing. I always put homemade medium-thick white sauce with the cheese melted into it and a little white wine inside my crepes before baking lightly with no sauce over top, because we enjoy the cripsness of the crepes.

It looks like you have baked a green herb into the crepes (chives or parsley?) and that is a great idea for savory applications!

Shelby,

If you would like to make crepes for the first time, I suggest you read through the eG Crepes Cookoff thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/89116-crepes-cook-off-23/

It is responsible for me making my first crepes in my lurking days here. I've made many subsequent others after I found out that you didn't need specialized equipment or magical skills to do it. Just a little swirly wrist action in a non-stick skillet you probably already own. They are versatile, and can easily go savory or sweet, and be refrigerated or frozen for later use filled or unfilled. Not sure if it's necessary, but if I freeze unfilled I stack with cut squares of waxed paper between each one so I can separate out just what I need while still frozen. They don't stick together in the fridge just stacked on top of each other, but I cool them on a rack before stacking.

ElainaA,

Those are my kind of fried potatoes. Home fries done right! I love rosemary with potatoes.

I hope your head cold is all better soon.

Leftovers for us, but we enjoyed them, and they didn't go to waste.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

The pork belly was set and forget: a dry rub of salt, sugar, pepper and Korean 'herb seasoning'; smoked until it seemed ready; a glaze of store bought kalbi sauce. The vegetables were hit with soy, balsamic and evo oil and cooked on the hot plate.

image.jpg1_zpsdjzy1ln2.jpg

image.jpg2_zps73duraoi.jpg

• Like 10

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Thank you for the link, TFTC!  I will peruse it and see if I get brave enough to try :)

Ronnie went fishing yesterday in the river and caught some nice little catfish (I think he went over to a small lake nearby, too, where he caught a couple bass).

PA030771.JPG

Fried fish and onion rings.  Tater salad to go with.

PA030773.JPG

PA030777.JPG

PA030778.JPG

• Like 10

My family is out on Cape Cod again.  Weather was lousy until today (of course the day we are leaving!).  Friday I made spicy spaghetti with clams and lobster.  No picture because it was too dark.  Last night we got take out from Arnold's Lobster and Clam Bar in Eastham.  Pictured, a jumbo warm lobster roll with drawn butter.  We also got clam chowder, lobster bisque, fried clams, stuffed clams, and fish and chips.  All was consumed.

lobster roll.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 12

Friday I made spicy spaghetti with clams and lobster.  No picture because it was too dark.  Last night we got take out from Arnold's Lobster and Clam Bar in Eastham.  Pictured, a jumbo warm lobster roll with drawn butter.  We also got clam chowder, lobster bisque, fried clams, stuffed clams, and fish and chips.  All was consumed.

That looks SO good! One of the things I miss most from my years living in coastal Maine is the seafood. It's very hard - no, impossible - to get really fresh seafood in central New York. 

• Like 1

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Paul, would be interested to learn/see more of your sausage making.  It is getting to our sausage making season.  Need it a little cooler during the day...we hang ours in the garage to cure and after smoking.  Time to make bacon too :wub:

• Like 2

Getting ready to make  Sausage  with Roasted peppers!!

Ruhlman has a recipe for roased green chile sausage that I like a lot. Red is most certainly good too. 

• Like 2

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

20151004_173159.jpg

Pecan smoked turkey

Stuffing

Roasted acorn squash with butter, brown sugar, and local sorghum. 

Well, that didn't work. It's been too long since I've posted a pic here. I forgot how. It looked good though. 

Edited by chileheadmike (log)
  • Like 5

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Paul, would be interested to learn/see more of your sausage making.  It is getting to our sausage making season.  Need it a little cooler during the day...we hang ours in the garage to cure and after smoking.  Time to make bacon too :wub:

I dont have any pictures..  I have a 1.5 hrs Cabela grinder.. my sausage is course grind.. #10.. natural Hog casing..sometimes I will use lamb  (  thinner )..  ( Pork Butt )--  I use just fennel ( Cracked )/ fennel; powder. pepper ( blk and red flake ) .. salt..  sometimes a Carlo Rosse wine..  add what ever you wish..  from there.  But that is my traditional.

Sometime I will take pictures..  but this is an Italian sausage!!

• Like 4

Its good to have Morels

Half of a humongous d'artagnan moulard duck breast (via Costco) with lingonberry demiglace. Could easily have served three people generously with one breast.

Also sauteed romaine, mashed pots, roasted cauliflower.

Costco online has a deal where they ship you 8 giant breasts and 8 already confite-d legs for something like $150. It sounds high, but if you consider that $20 will buy you a puny frozen duckling with a breast as big as a hot dog that won't feed one then it is almost cheap.  You miss a whole bird's rendered duck fat, but there will be about 1/2 cup of it in the pan when you sear t he breast.

015.jpg

• Like 11

Fresh garden tomato salad with mozzarella, olive oil, balsamic reduction, and 4 year aged country ham.

IMG_1113.jpg

Homemade tortellini stuffed with pumpkin, ricotta, and thyme. Probable serve these with a sage brown butter sauce.

IMG_1137.jpg

Edited by tdig (log)
  • Like 14

Tdig--Those tortellini are beautiful.  I need to learn how to have patience and make stuff like that.  

Gfweb--What a lovely table setting to enjoy that meal by.  That was a big duck!

I made some hotdog and hamburger buns (thank you again, Cyalexa).  I've been hungry for chili cheese dogs and fries ever since I saw Chris H. post about them (them being chili cheese fries--I only put cheese on mine and then dipped them in chili occasionally :)  ).

PA040782.JPG

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 12