• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 5)

Jon Savage

Pork meatballs in soup. Baby long bok choy. "Kon-lo" style bánh phở type rice noodles.

DSCN6182b_800.jpg

DSCN6177a_800.jpg

Pork mixture: Ground pork, an egg, sea salt, finely chopped scallions, generous black pepper, generous panko crumbs, dash of ajinomoto, some dried oregano rubbed/crushed between my palms. Formed into medium balls.

Soup: Chicken broth/stock w/ the chicken fat left in, simmer pork balls in it; wilt in baby long bok choy, simmer briefly. Bowl, dress w/ chopped scallions, coriander leaves.

"Kon-lo" noodles:  1) Julienned ginger & chopped lightly crushed garlic (Music) sautéed in peanut oil, quenched w/ a mixture of fish sauce [Red Boat], oyster sauce [LKK], water, ryori-shu [Morita], "luscious soy paste" [Kim Lan] (this one).  2) narrow-width slippery rice noodles (Fawm Xieng Khuang Bánh Phở) [Dragonfly] cooked in water.  3) Drained noodles tossed w/ the sauce from (2), plated, dressed w/ chopped scaliions & coriander leaves & deep-fried sliced shallots.

On the way there:

DSCN6164-72_C_800.jpg

DSCN6161-66_C_800.jpg

DSCN6168-73_C_800.jpg

Later, the leftover soup & meatballs sans residual bok choy – reheated w/ Western (Italian-type) basil briefly simmered in it.  Eaten w/ fusilli [Garofalo], dressed w/ deep-fried shallots.

DSCN6189b_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 7

At the request of my daughter who just about to head back to grad school after summer break, I made stir fried shrimp with baby bok choy, snow peas, carrots, celery, mushrooms and onion.  Due to her medical condition, the sauce was just gluten-free soy sauce with garlic and ginger.

shrimp-stir-fry.jpg

• Like 7

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Robirdstx, those ribs look so good and tender.

Elaina, can you tell us more about the "slathering sauce"?  That dish looks right up my alley.

My best friend wanted me to make her some salsa.  She makes me feel like a chef (and trust me, I'm not) because she REALLY likes it :)  I've been telling her all summer that I would and last night was the night. Then my husband asked if I would pretty please make some for a few business friends that he has.  Sooo...it turned into a much bigger project than I thought it was going to be  :wacko:

You can't tell from the picture, but this bowl is huge.  The biggest bowl I own lol.

P9020687.JPG

P9020688.JPG

I had enough left for us to eat at dinner last night.  So, I made pulled pork/hatch chile enchiladas, rice and beans.

P9020689.JPG

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 15

Oh but Shelby, you can't leave us with photos like that and not tell us how you made that salsa. That is just cruel.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh but Shelby, you can't leave us with photos like that and not tell us how you made that salsa. That is just cruel.

:laugh:  :raz: Sorry

Honestly, it's nothing fancy.  It's the garden tomatoes that make it so good.  Don't make this with those plastic grocery store ones.  I don't measure...I just mix and taste until it tastes right.  I sometimes use the food processor to chop everything (I didn't last night).  If you do, make sure you don't go overboard...it turns into gazpacho lol.

I've also made this with halved cherry tomatoes.  Not quite as good, imo, but it works.

Here's a list of everything:

Peeled and diced tomatoes

Diced onions

Diced peppers--I used jalapeños from the garden

Cilantro. Lots of fresh cilantro

Fresh lime juice

Cumin

Garlic

Lawry's Salt

That's it.  Mix together.  Eat massive amounts with tortilla chips.  :)

• Like 5

:laugh:  :raz: Sorry

Honestly, it's nothing fancy.  It's the garden tomatoes that make it so good.  Don't make this with those plastic grocery store ones.  I don't measure...I just mix and taste until it tastes right.  I sometimes use the food processor to chop everything (I didn't last night).  If you do, make sure you don't go overboard...it turns into gazpacho lol.

I've also made this with halved cherry tomatoes.  Not quite as good, imo, but it works.

Here's a list of everything:

Peeled and diced tomatoes

Diced onions

Diced peppers--I used jalapeños from the garden

Cilantro. Lots of fresh cilantro

Fresh lime juice

Cumin

Garlic

Lawry's Salt

That's it.  Mix together.  Eat massive amounts with tortilla chips.  :)

Don't know if I can do that cilantro. Thank you for sharing.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Cilantro/coriander is pretty much the only fresh herb I can rely on finding in the markets or supermarkets here. Anything else I have to grow myself.

I haven't had it for years, but when I lived in Hunan a favourite was sprigs of coriander, simply deep fried till crisp. I ate it almost every day for two years. Oddly, I've never thought to make it. I always bought it from street food people (for next to nothing).

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Elaina, can you tell us more about the "slathering sauce"?  That dish looks right up my alley.

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que is a Syracuse (NY) landmark restaurant. They market some of their condiments including the "Sensuous Slathering Sauce" (also referred to as "the mutha sauce". All the local supermarkets here carry them and I know my daughter found them at Wegman's in New Jersey but I'm not sure how widely available they are. However, they very kindly include recipes for all the condiments in their cookbook. For last night's dinner I used a bottle I had in the refrig. It is sort of a 'dump in some of everything sauce' - I use it on pork chops and chicken to grill and in what the Dino cookbook calls "Honky Tonk Pot roast' and their (I am sure inauthentic) version of Ropa Vieja.  The restaurant started in Syracuse but has now expanded to Brooklyn, Harlem, Newark,various upstate NY cities and is about to open in Baltimore. Upstate NY is not a barbecue center - I have no idea how authentic their food is but I do know it is really good. The owners started out cooking for motorcycle gatherings and swap meets - I don't know about the other locations but in Syracuse they try to keep the biker bar vibe alive (the cookbooks is illustrated with pictures of the waitress's tattoos)- in spite of all the middle class family groups waiting in line outside for a table.

Here's the recipe: (I did warn you about the ingredient list, didn't I?)

Mutha Sauce from Dinosaur Bar-B-Que  (This makes A LOT - 6-7 cups. It's easy to halve or quarter) (But it does keep well)

1/4 c. vegetable oil                         2 cups ketchup                         1/4 c. spicy brown mustard

1 c. minced onion                          1 c. water                                   3/4 c. dark brown sugar, packed

1/2 c. minced green pepper          3/4 c. Worchestershire sauce    1 T chili powder

1 jalapeno pepper,minced            1/2 c cider vinegar                      2 t. black pepper (coarse grind)

pinch each salt & pepper              1/4 c. lemon juice                       1/2 t. ground allspice

2T minced garlic                           1/4 c. molasses                           1T liquid smoke (optional - I leave this out)

1 28oz can tomato sauce             1/4 c. cayenne pepper sauce

Saute the onions, green peppers and jalapeños in the oil. Season with a pinch of salt and of pepper, cook until soft. 

Add garlic and cook one minute more.

Dump in everything else except the Liquid Smoke. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer 10 minutes. If you are using the Liquid smoke, add it now. Cool and store in the fridge until you want to use it. 

The chicken and zucchini dish also used what they call 'Creole Seasoning' - a spice/herb mix of paprika, black pepper,cayenne, oregano, thyme, cumin, granulated garlic and granulated onion. Let me know if you want the recipe for the chicken/zuc. dish.

Dino also markets 'Mojito Marinade' - that recipe is also in the cook book. It's really good with chicken.

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 3

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Thanks Elaina!  I have saved the recipe.  I think it sounds delicious....  using it on and it meatloaf sprang to my mind, too.

I haven't tried that! It sounds really good. Come to Upstate NY sometime and go to the Dino for the original.

• Like 1

Tonight's dinner was not photogenic. The menu was pork tenderloin medallions with honey mustard sauce, local corn on the cob and sautéed, grated beets. The problem was the beets. It turned out that all the beets left in the garden were chioggia beets. Grated, raw, they looked nice - pink and white. Sautéed they turned a really nasty grey. They actually tasted fine but photogenic? NO.

• Like 3

Well, I’ve missed almost an entire section of this topic!  Just a combination of stuff got in the way.  Been out of town a LOT and am hoping to start cooking more and contributing here more, too!

I couldn’t possibly mention all of the lovely dishes that made me hungry when I read back over the more-than-two-months that I’ve missed.  It took me THREE days and one day I actually used up all my allowed ‘likes’ (didn’t know THAT was even possible – another rule to learn :rolleyes: ) – so if your gorgeous and delicious meal is missing a ‘like’ from me, it’s not MY fault.

We celebrated the 4th of July with friends and my contribution included Caroled’s baked beans (my new favorite method for quick beans):

med_gallery_3331_114_151414.jpg

A few meals (prior to our Florida trip on the 15th)-

Mr. Kim saw Jamie Deen make a steak salad with molasses marinated London Broil on TV one morning and had to give it a try.  Salad and crackers:

med_gallery_3331_114_16072.jpg

London Broil:

med_gallery_3331_114_64793.jpg

All together with some crumbled Bleu:

med_gallery_3331_114_28543.jpg

And some corn:

med_gallery_3331_114_14026.jpg

Another night Chicken Parm:

med_gallery_3331_114_21780.jpg

Breakfast for dinner:

med_gallery_3331_114_35555.jpg

Mushroom and cheese omelet and fried potatoes.

We finally got some good tomatoes:

med_gallery_3331_114_91229.jpg

(with marinated cukes).

Chili dogs, beans and some of those tomatoes with mayo and LOTS of S&P:

med_gallery_3331_114_102851.jpg

Another one - salad:

med_gallery_3331_114_3931.jpg

Meatballs w/ gravy and rice:

med_gallery_3331_114_126275.jpg

Corn:

med_gallery_3331_114_19091.jpg

The only thing I’ve cooked since we got home from Florida last week – starting with the usual salad:

med_gallery_3331_114_159263.jpg

Sausages, kraut, mac and cheese (packaged – it’s a comfort food, what can I say :blush: ), nice crusty sourdough roll and corn:

med_gallery_3331_114_161901.jpg

The sausages were great – bratwurst and knockwurst from the meat case at Fresh Market.  The kraut was a little dull.  I should have known better.  It was in a jar and we always like the super sour kind in the can.  

I won't ever apologize for serving too much summer corn and tomatoes, but maybe I need to find something other than salad to make with every meal.  

• Like 17

I got razzed by a friend because I bought corn-on-the-cob at Wal-Mart, but they were just unpacking the crate, and they were huge! Not sure where they came from, but when one's not close to the source,..
I finally tried the microwave with husk and silk attached method. It really works and the corn was very good - sweet and flavourful! The husk and silk came off clean and quickly.

eGulletMicrowaveCorn7517.jpg

We ate it with blackened salmon, stir-fried baby Shanghai bok choy.

eGulletBlackenedSalmon7515.jpg

• Like 12

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Well, I’ve missed almost an entire section of this topic!  Just a combination of stuff got in the way.  Been out of town a LOT and am hoping to start cooking more and contributing here more, too!

I couldn’t possibly mention all of the lovely dishes that made me hungry when I read back over the more-than-two-months that I’ve missed.  It took me THREE days and one day I actually used up all my allowed ‘likes’ (didn’t know THAT was even possible – another rule to learn :rolleyes: ) – so if your gorgeous and delicious meal is missing a ‘like’ from me, it’s not MY fault.

We celebrated the 4th of July with friends and my contribution included Caroled’s baked beans (my new favorite method for quick beans):

med_gallery_3331_114_151414.jpg

A few meals (prior to our Florida trip on the 15th)-

Mr. Kim saw Jamie Deen make a steak salad with molasses marinated London Broil on TV one morning and had to give it a try.  Salad and crackers:

med_gallery_3331_114_16072.jpg

London Broil:

med_gallery_3331_114_64793.jpg

All together with some crumbled Bleu:

med_gallery_3331_114_28543.jpg

And some corn:

med_gallery_3331_114_14026.jpg

Another night Chicken Parm:

med_gallery_3331_114_21780.jpg

Breakfast for dinner:

med_gallery_3331_114_35555.jpg

Mushroom and cheese omelet and fried potatoes.

We finally got some good tomatoes:

med_gallery_3331_114_91229.jpg

(with marinated cukes).

Chili dogs, beans and some of those tomatoes with mayo and LOTS of S&P:

med_gallery_3331_114_102851.jpg

Another one - salad:

med_gallery_3331_114_3931.jpg

Meatballs w/ gravy and rice:

med_gallery_3331_114_126275.jpg

Corn:

med_gallery_3331_114_19091.jpg

The only thing I’ve cooked since we got home from Florida last week – starting with the usual salad:

med_gallery_3331_114_159263.jpg

Sausages, kraut, mac and cheese (packaged – it’s a comfort food, what can I say :blush: ), nice crusty sourdough roll and corn:

med_gallery_3331_114_161901.jpg

The sausages were great – bratwurst and knockwurst from the meat case at Fresh Market.  The kraut was a little dull.  I should have known better.  It was in a jar and we always like the super sour kind in the can.  

I won't ever apologize for serving too much summer corn and tomatoes, but maybe I need to find something other than salad to make with every meal.

I'm jealous of the corn! Where in Fl did you go? I'm going to Marco Island Saturday for two weeks and looking forward to lots of fresh grouper.

Your tomatoes look perfect! And, really, what's a summer meal without good corn? It's been not so great here in Nj so I am super envious of everyone's corn-centric meals!

• Like 2

I made the chicken caiccaitora. It is delicious, and with only 4 chicken thighs, a large onion, a couple bell peppers, a 28 oz can of roma tomatoes, a 15-oz. can of tomato sauce, a couple garlic cloves, and a 4-oz can of mushrooms, a little salt and oregano, provides us old folks with at least 4 meals with a pound of spaghetti. (More like six.)

I really like the bone-in chicken, and the rest of the rustic presentation. Braising the chicken on the bone, of course brings out huge flavor from it. The recipe I use is from an old Betty Crocker cookbook. I've had versions with deboned chicken or shrimp at a restaurant for a lot of money, and it just doesn't do it for me like this old recipe does. Betty calls for the bells to be chopped and sauteed with the onion rings after the chicken. Nope. I slice a couple bell peppers into half inch thick rings, and place them on top of the braise for the last ten minutes. They are still bright green, crisp tender, and wonderful.

Did you now that bell peppers carry more vitamin C than citrus?

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <

Does a meal really need anything other than fresh corn and summer tomatoes? When corn and tomatoes are in season it is hard to pretend to care about anything else.

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 7

I've been thinking of this for days, but for various reasons didn't get round to it. Fish and Chips!

fac.jpg

Beer-battered basa fish (the best I could find today), batter bits, green lemon and chips. There was some home made tartar sauce on the side.

It'll do until I go to Hong Kong next month and have the real deal in a favourite bar.

• Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

These were from 3 separate meals, although they would have been great all together in one. :-) 

Chioggia beets, simply boiled & the skins slipped off. Drizzled w/ Moulin Cornille Maussane-les-Alpilles huile d'olive fruité noir; dressed w/ ground black pepper & Maldon sea salt flakes.

DSCN6158b_800.jpg

Tomato soup. Dressed w/ torn basil leaves & drizzled w/ Arbosana EV olive oil.

DSCN6199a_800.jpg

Ripe tomatoes, blanched & skins removed; halved & deseeded, pressing jelly & liquids through a fine sieve; pulp & sieved liquids simmered w/ a yellow onion (brunoise) softened in EV olive oil, plus sea salt & fresh bay leaves & a shot of Takara hon-mirin. Gave a stick blender several good whirls through the bubbling soup towards the end.

Pan-fried top sirloin cap with stuff.

DSCN6201b_800.jpg

Top sirloin cap, "middle cut", rubbed w/ sea sat & ground black pepper. Pan-seared fat-side-down then panfried and sliced. Each slice was seared briefly. (Yes, the insides of the slices were still nicely red-pink).

Finely sliced green cabbage sautéed w/ a sliced ripe Poblano pepper in the pan residues/fond from frying the sirloin.

Simply boiled baby Red Gold potatoes.

Chopped parsley.

• Like 8

I got razzed by a friend because I bought corn-on-the-cob at Wal-Mart, but they were just unpacking the crate, and they were huge! Not sure where they came from, but when one's not close to the source,..

I finally tried the microwave with husk and silk attached method. It really works and the corn was very good - sweet and flavourful! The husk and silk came off clean and quickly.

attachicon.gifeGulletMicrowaveCorn7517.jpg

We ate it with blackened salmon, stir-fried baby Shanghai bok choy.

attachicon.gifeGulletBlackenedSalmon7515.jpg

I have gotten excellent corn from Kroger this summer. Surprisingly good. Fresh. Don't know where it's from.

Does a meal really need anything other than fresh corn and summer tomatoes? When corn and tomatoes are in season it is hard to pretend to care about anything else.

Fried okra. (IMHO.)

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com