• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 5)

Jon Savage

DSC00190.jpg

Pizza night: One with artichoke hearts, ham, tomatoes, pesto,basil and mozzarella  and one with tomato sauce, red and green peppers, onions, hot pepper and mozzarella. Plus a salad that I did not photograph.

• Like 12

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Dinner tonight is Paula Wolfert's marak of okra and tomatoes, The Food of Morocco, pp 416-417.  Like all Wolfert recipes, "4 1/2 pounds fresh red ripe tomatoes, peeled, halved, seeded, and chopped" sounds easy.  Took me an hour and a half (including a short break to let my back recover).  Not including the time to clean the floor.

Served with a baguette.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Tonight I went for some comfort food, although I don't know what I needed comforting from. I had actually bought all the necessities for something spicy and exotic, but at the last minute my inner me rebelled.

chicken1.jpg

Poached a whole organic chicken with onion carrot and ginger. Simple boiled potatoes. Stir fried baby boy choy.

The chicken was then jointed and ginger discarded. Tonight I ate the breasts. Legs and wings for tomorrow. Might spice them up.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

BonVivant  ---   "I removed the hook from the eels's jaw"  Good idea  :cool:

Looks wonderful!!

Cheers

Thanks!

The hook is designed in such a way that the more the creature struggles the deeper the hook digs into the jaw. I pulled out the whole jaw because the hook didn't release.

I have this town in mind for a future visit just to eat their famous foods, smoked eel and ham. Bad Zwischanahn, in northern Germany.

• Like 1

Sooo much good-looking stuff here! JoNorvelleWalker, you made me laugh (as you often do) and for some reason I keep visualizing mopping the floor with the baguette.

liamsaunt, did you make the bread for both sandwiches above? What is the bread on the tomato sandwich? That is a very cool bowl that the squash fries are in. I'd like to know more about that dish as well as its contents. Were those fries made from a hard squash?

It's good to see you here again, robirdstx. Those are beautiful and inspiring meals.

liuzhou, somehow I doubt that your 'comfort' food is ever boring. You did the breasts here, and plan the legs and wings for tomorrow. What do you plan for the back bits, bones and neck? Broth alone, or will you find another use for those meat scraps?

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

liuzhou, somehow I doubt that your 'comfort' food is ever boring. You did the breasts here, and plan the legs and wings for tomorrow. What do you plan for the back bits, bones and neck? Broth alone, or will you find another use for those meat scraps?

The bird was poached whole, so the legs and wings are already cooked and parked in the fridge. 

The other bits are simmering away right now to make a stock. Not sure how I will use it yet. Soup? Sauces?

• Like 1

Pad woon sen (ผัดวุ้นเส้น).  Last night's version.

DSCN6152b_800.jpg

Hot oil, de-shelled & de-veined fresh shrimp, toss, remove & reserve shrimp. In the same pan, on high heat – garlic, chicken wings (middle sections) chopped in two across the bones, finely sliced green cabbage, a mixture of {fish sauce, Shaohsing wine, oyster sauce, splash of soy sauce, some rock sugar (crushed), ground white pepper}, cook a bit; then pre-softened cellophane/glass noodles cut across the bundles (scissors), toss/stir; couple of eggs added in & scrambled in situ, mix in; followed by mung bean sprouts, trimmed Thai basil, a sliced de-seeded ripening hot long chilli, toss briefly; then trimmed scallions plus the reserved shrimp, a final stir-around.  Serve.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 7

Grocery store meat depts. sometimes get creative with what they name steaks. . 

Today at the Italian market & Deli I go to , in the meat cases there were packages of beef labeled "top round steak substitute for flank steak"  There was a young guy stocking the case so I asked him if they had any "real flank steak", but they don't carry it.  Actually there are only two cuts of beef available in my part of So. Jersey they just switch various names around a lot to give the impression of variety.

• Like 1

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

No picture - but tonight was veal rolls filled with leeks and parmesan, pasta with oil, garlic and red, yellow and green peppers and the inevitable (in our home) salad. Thank you Marcella Hazan for the inspiration. It was really good.

• Like 4

Finally had time to replenish the empty-for-3-weeks fridge...4 Bags with mainly vegetables and fruit: bak choy, Shanghai bak choy, Ong choy, Romaine lettuce, various herbs, mushrooms, daikon, snap peas, green and wax beans, etc, etc...and a durian!

eGulletFridge Replenished7506.jpg

The haul also included 2 AAA ribeye steaks, from Superstore. They cooked up beautifully and very tender. Had so many different vegetables, so I stir-fried up a medley!

eGulletSteak & Veg7508.jpg

Love road trips which made coming home and cooking all the better!

• Like 10

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

""  Mexican rice that was the first time I've approximated the taste of restaurant Mexican rice as well as the dry, semi-fluffy texture. Long-grain rice rinsed thoroughly for 2 minutes, then sauteed for at least 10 in vegetable oil, then cooked in the oven in a mixture of pureed tomato/onion/garlic, chicken broth, and spices. ""

nice   I know just what you mean.

This quote from rotuts is in response to kayb's Mexican dinner. 

The only way I have duplicated Mexican restaurant red rice is to saute a little onion and jalapeno in veg oil, add the rice, saute that as well, then add a Knorr Caldo de Tomate bouillon cube with the water. Knorr makes a jar of powdered Caldo de Tomate, but what you want is the boxed cubes. They are better.

Dinner tonight was unremarkable, but tomorrow will be my delicious chicken cacciatora. 

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

Following on from yesterday, it was time for the chicken legs (the wings got snaffled mid afternoon). 

The poached legs were served on the bone at room temperature, sprinkled with shichimi togarishi. Eating by hand was the recommended method.)

Alongside was a simple potato salad using leftover spuds also from yesterday - with homemade mayonnaise, coriander leaf / cilantro and a few green onions (I didn't have enough - where did they go?).

Alongside alongside were some shiitake mushrooms stir-fried with shallots and the mystery ingredient and then finished with a splash or two of oyster sauce.

Alongside alongside alongside a couple of slices of green lemon.

clsps1.jpg

The mystery ingredient was just one of these.

mizhitianjiao.jpg

They are green (immature) Sichuanese "Pointing to Heaven Chilli Peppers" 米指天骄. They are rarely available here in this form (more usually sold dried and red).

They are hot. One pepper (about 1½" long) in with the mushrooms left them tongue-burningly spicy, which set off well against the potato salad. The green lemons are more acidic than usual lemons (they are usually used by the locals for pickling), which also went well with the potatoes and chicken. The shichimi togarishi is just because I like it!

And the best thing was that, apart from stir frying some mushrooms, there was no cooking involved tonight*.

clsps2.jpg

*Not that I mind cooking. But it's nice to have the occasional break.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9

liamsaunt, did you make the bread for both sandwiches above? What is the bread on the tomato sandwich? That is a very cool bowl that the squash fries are in. I'd like to know more about that dish as well as its contents. Were those fries made from a hard squash?

I did not make the bread.  I rarely bake bread, even though I enjoy doing so.  I just usually don't have time.  The bread on the tomato sandwich is a ciabatta roll from a local baking operation called Iggy's Breads of the World.  The bowl was made by a ceramic artist on a Caribbean island I visit frequently.  I have a collection of his serving dishes as well as tableware, and some lighting fixtures.  I try to add to my collection every time I visit.   The fries were made from zucchini and summer squash.  I just cut them into planks, dipped in egg and seasoned panko, then baked on a rack at 425 until they were browned and tender.  Next time I would use dry breadcrumbs instead of panko as I think that would stick better.  The sauce is a homemade ranch.

• Like 2

DSC00198.jpg

A recipe from a (more or less) local icon - the Dinosaur Bar-B-Que in Syracuse - "chicken and zucchini picante" - which means chicken strips, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers,olives and onions with  their "sensuous slathering sauce". Served over rice, with a salad of tomatoes and cukes.DSC00194.jpg

DSC00138.jpg

It is a beautiful night so we ate in the gazebo.

• Like 7

Our dinner tonight was broiled Spencer steaks (chuck eye) with adobo and chimichurri sauce.  The store only had two Spencer steaks so the big one is a round steak.  We also had Spanish Rice, fried sweet potatoes with Ranch dressing.  I wanted to make bleu cheese dressing but found out too late that we were out of bleu cheese.  Something new we tried and liked were store bought Snapea crisps, baked, Caesar flavor.

DSCN2885_zpsggexkatd.jpg

• Like 6