• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hi :)

Ama

Hi guys -

I have been enjoying reading through some old (and not-so-old :) threads and thought I ought to join up. I used to think egullet was a bit beyond me, but hey...nothing ventured, nothing gained!

I've lived over three continents and like to "play" in the kitchen when schedules allow. These days, that mainly means celebration meals or assisting with meals for the hungry hoardes we seem to collect at our place. I ran the weekday operation at a low-cost cafe that joined the community and an at-risk population for a while as the only paid staff with a volunteer team, but no formal training. I've developed a series of intolerances, but that doesn't keep me from making things for other people! I love seeing what others are up to and gaining ideas and learning from their experiences. I tend to be a lurker, but look forward to joining in as I can.

Thanks for having me :)

• Like 5

Welcome, Ama. Lurk as much as you like, but you may find you can also contribute! A lot of people are interested in good food "on the cheap". Has your experience on different continents helped broaden your skills and ideas for making good, inexpensive meals? Do you find yourself turning to some cuisines more than others?

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Hi, hi, hi and welcome to our eGullet fold! I also hope you find that you want to participate at least as much as you lurk - I am sure we can all learn much from your unique culinary background and experiences.

Thanks for the welcomes :)

Welcome, Ama. Lurk as much as you like, but you may find you can also contribute! A lot of people are interested in good food "on the cheap". Has your experience on different continents helped broaden your skills and ideas for making good, inexpensive meals? Do you find yourself turning to some cuisines more than others?

As much as anything, I've learned when it's worthwhile to take shortcuts and use time savers and when I should go all out. I'm not too bad at repurposing things or substituting for the right texture or flavour without spending big on imported ingredients.

The travels have taught me to be ok with substitutes and creative workarounds for missing ingredients or nostalgic dishes (most countries don't celebrate Thanksgiving...good luck finding cranberries!). I'm a lot more open to different flavour profiles, including things from the Indo-Chinese side of the extended family, and discovered some aspects of ethnic cuisines that are pleasant surprises. There's no question of my American roots, but my exposure to northern Africa and Asian friends & markets have me playing a lot more than I'd expected. I learn a little bit from a lot of people...and life is more fun that way

• Like 1