• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Traditional Linzer Torte

AnnieWilliams

I've been asked to make one of these for a party where there will be several German desserts served.  I have seen several recipes online, with all of them using different types of nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, and walnuts) or various combinations of nuts in the same recipe.  Most recipes use raspberry jam as the filling but apparently redcurrant is traditional and can be difficult to find.  Luckily there is a store near me which carries it.

Can someone share with me an authentic recipe or point me to a source where I can find one?  I'm sure if I took 20 Austrian or German grandmothers and asked them I'd get 20 different recipes.  Something in the ballpark would be good.  I've seen a few recipes which have a little cocoa powder added to the pastry but I'm not sure if that's considered traditional.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I agree with Duvel - my recipe cards are in storage but my comments are: we always used walnuts but I have used a combination of walnut, pecan and almond. I would not go total almond. It is a harder nut and not as flavorful. I don't think red currant is that critical. I have used raspberry with a touch of lemon juice and a whisper of zest. Cocoa powder - no.  I also would not worry about the vanilla sugar product from Dr  O. A hint of vanilla extract would not hurt but we don't.  Personally we overbake a bit - we like the toastier nut taste and the chewier feel. Over the years we have evolved it into a bar cookie rather than a torte- a friends & family most requested item for Christmas.

I have no idea if it is traditional or not, but your mention of the hazelnut flour being expensive prompts me to suggest the Linzertorte recipe in Rose Levy Beranbaum's Pie and Pastry Bible. It calls for blanched (or you can blanch them yourself easily) hazelnuts that you grind with the sugar/flour and make an easy, press-in-the-pan tart pastry that is very delicious.  It's less than a pound of nuts for the one tart (I usually increase the recipe for us at home because with our crowd an 11" tart is the right size and it's still less than a pound). If you try this recipe, don't make the pastry too thick (it puffs a bit) and you can take whatever dough remains and add egg white to it until you have a pipeable consistency and then pipe a lattice on top using a pastry bag with the end cut off (you don't need a piping tip for this, just make it a small opening because with all the added egg white, this will spread a bit during baking).

I'd second the Beranbaum recipe, However i would add, from my experience, that it is best to refrigerate the torte for at least 30 minutes before baking. My first experience of making a linzer torte was helping a friend at one of her first catering events. When baked, the lattice completely melted into a mess, A delicious mess but still a mess. I did what any 20 something would do - I called my mother. If I recall correctly (40 years later) she laughed. And told me what to do. (And now I just love it when my daughter calls and starts with "Mom I have a cooking question.")

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 1

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

I have the Time Life Foods of the World book (the spiral bound recipe book) for The Cooking of Vienna's Empire. It has a recipe for Linzertorte. The crust goes something like this: 1 1/2 cups AP flour, 1/8 tsp cloves, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1 cup finely ground unblanched almonds, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tsp grated lemon rind, 2 hard-boiled egg yolks, mashed, 1 cup softened unsalted butter, 2 raw egg yolks, lightly beaten, 1 tsp vanilla. The filling is 1 1/2 cups thick raspberry jam. Top lattice crust is brushed with 1 egg beaten with 2 Tbs light cream.

Sift flour & spices, add nuts, sugar, rind, and mashed yolks. With wooden spoon, beat in butter, raw yolks, and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Form a ball, wrap in plastic, chill at least an hour. Remove 3/4 of dough. Butter round 9x1 or 1 1/2" false-bottomed cake pan. Add the dough, press into pan with fingers so it covers bottom and sides, dough should be about 1/4" thick. Spoon in the jam and spread evenly. On floured surface roll out remaining dough to a 6x9" rectangle, also 1/4" thick. Cut into 1/2" strips, 2 should be 9" long, the others 8" long. The 9" strips should be placed like an "X" across center, remaining strips latticed under and over. (Their explanation is much better but too long, you get the idea.) Create a border with "excess" dough around the sides. Beat whole egg with the cream, and brush exposed pastry. Refrigerate 1/2 hour. Preheat to 350F. Bake in middle 45-50 minutes, or until lightly browned. Slip off outside rim, let cool 5 minutes on bottom of pan, then sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Cool to room temp before serving. And the recipe does not say, but I will add: mit schlag.

• Like 1

There shouldn't be any baking powder in a Linzer Torte recipe as it consists of Mürbteig (shortcrust pastry). If you read a bit of German, there is a lot of information on the history of the ingredients on the registry of traditional foods of the Austrian ministry of agriculture. I can look up some traditional recipes when I get home.

my best linzer torte recipe has been one written up in several places. it was attributed to richard stoltzman, clarinetist and wonderful baker.  it is my go-to recipe and i highly recommended. do check it out

I can't say I'll make a linzer torte any time soon but thank you for posting this and providing me with a lovely bit of Sunday morning reading:  With a flair for music making and baking from the NYT in 1991 and Richard Stoltzman's Linzer Torte from The Splendid Table.  Queued up some nice clairnet duets to listen to as well!

My grandmother is from Vienna, and I can assure you that she will attest to the fact that Linzer Tortes do not (or at least should not) contain Almonds.

Just roasted hazelnuts and pecans.  Also, raspberry jam is perfectly suitable.

Lastly, ensure you make some 'strusel' to crumble on top (basically flour and butter)

My grandmother is from Vienna, and I can assure you that she will attest to the fact that Linzer Tortes do not (or at least should not) contain Almonds.

Just roasted hazelnuts and pecans.  Also, raspberry jam is perfectly suitable.

I can assure you that any recipe for Linzer Torte with pecan nuts has been thoroughly americanized. Historically, Linzer Torte was made exclusively with almonds, while in recent years (the last century or so) hazelnuts have started to partially replace the almonds.

• Like 2