• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fasta Pasta

palo

I still don't get it. Why not just cook the pasta in a small amount of water on the stove?

that WOULD have been EXACTLY what I would have said before my stove blew up …ut currently I do not have a stove and am in a holding pattern on the kitchen remodel because the counters need to be poured … so this may solve a ton of issues with pasta for me ..however it is also more "things" I may not use later unless I love it ….so for $14 I think I just spent more money because I read an egullet thread LOL! just not sure Like Rotuts if I should go with the bowl or the fasta ..I think the fasta ..no the bowl ..no the fasta …OY!!!! HEIDI!!!! STOP AND JUST PUSH THE BUTTON TO BUY NOW!!!LOL not yelling at other "Heidi's..(my name is also  Heidi…we have a few here  some folks know that I guess or maybe not?  ) ok I am buying the Fasta ..I make noodles all the time and Angie got me on the homemade pasta thing ..if we are not eating rice we eat noodles and it has been a huge pain in the ass making pasta on a camping stove so we miss it …I bet it is good with ramen noodles as well….. NO low carb or  gluten free at my house obviously, we eat a high carb based diet with lots of vegetables  ..…so anything that makes getting carbs to the table in a more simple manner is tugging at me right now  …something has to go before I can order this and I am not sure what ..that is my self contract I do not buy "new" for the kitchen unless it is permanent or I give something away to make up for the space ….ok the FASTA ..hitting the button and I will give away the zucchini noodle thing that bought on impulse thinking because I love zukes I would love it as noodles …conclusion I really like zucchini on top of my pasta not AS the pasta. 

out the door with Zoodles and in with a pasta maker for the microwave…my "new" pending oven has a top microwave so I will maybe like this so much it will be the way I make pasta for husband and I from now on ..who knows right? also good for the grandkids to make noodles when they come over as they are masters of the microwave and no all the safety rules..did I need to think this out in narrative on Egullet ..I guess so …have a good day .."buy it now" and I can not come back for a week because every time I do I buy something. 

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Wait till you use it for things like ravioli - that is where it really shines.  I always have some come apart in the cooking water on the stove top.  Not only my homemade ones but those I buy - the fresh ones from Trader Joe's or Whole Foods or some of the other places that have them refrigerated. 

No matter how careful I am, they have to be stirred a bit or some stick together and when I try to separate them they break.

This simply doesn't happen with the Pasta Boat.

Andie, do you have to put the ravioli in a single layer, or can they touch in the pasta boat? I too have problems with them breaking up in the boiling water, and this might be a good solution for me.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

those that have used these various boats :

im assuming you time your pasta from when the water in the boat starts to boil ?

with of course the pasta already swimming ?  so a minor adjustment for the time the water heats to the boil and cooks the pasta

just a bit ?

Edited by rotuts (log)

I made some comments about my microwave pasta cooker over on the instant pot topic. rotuts asked over there if one should wait until the water boils before starting the timing when using one of these. Nothing I have read indicates that that is the case or perhaps I have misread.

Edited to add that it looks like rotuts and I posted at the same time,

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Andie, do you have to put the ravioli in a single layer, or can they touch in the pasta boat? I too have problems with them breaking up in the boiling water, and this might be a good solution for me.

I just put them in the boat - add COLD water and gentle separate any that initially stick together - not much because the water isn't hot.  It is the hot water that causes them to stick when they are first dropped into a pot of boiling water.

This doesn't happen and they are not agitated and they cook through, even though they might stick together a little bit.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Wow: The Boat or the Fasta !

The boat has greater volume.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Regarding the time needed for cooking.  I began with the recommended cooking times (these are based on a 1000 watt MW)

When using my 900 W Sharp combo  I added a few minutes. I used tongs to pick up some pieces BEFORE DRAINING!!!

If not done enough, I cooked it a few more minues, tested it and more time if needed.  I added up the times and the next time cooked it for the total minutes.

Some pastas that are thicker, take longer

Penne - in the 900 W oven 22 minutes total  WHOLE WHEAT  PENNE  or any of the "Gluten-Free"  pastas take at least that time, some take longer.

I make a lot of my own pasta - FRESH PASTA  that cooks rapidly - 7 minutes for linguini  1/4 inch wide.  Bow ties, a little thicker - 9 minutes. 

And the same formula for FRESH commercial ravioli -  Usually takes 4 minutes on the stove top - add 4 - 5 minutes for the water to get hot, depending on the volume.

This is not rocket science.  Use it,  test the pasta before draining.  put it back and nuke it some more if it is still too chewy.

And the GIANT SHELLS for stuffing -  30 MINUTES!  total  And there is a lot of steam when you open the door so be careful, especially if you wear glasses...

I almost forgot.  Tortellini takes longer than expected - the larger torteloni takes even longer.  Anything that is compressed, thicker, heavier, filled, etc., will take longer to cook.  Test for doneness before draining.  This is when one of the small "olive" spoons with slots and a long handle really comes in handy.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

thank you 

andiesenji

as i thought.  

MicroPasta  needs it own NoteBook.

just a smaller one.

Ive gone with FastaPasta  from amazon  I don't need a lot / dose .

but am very irked that BB&B choses to sell it at 12.99 but not stock it.

you can do the math.

irked I am/

A booklet that comes with it gives you the amt. of water and cook time depending on how much pasta you use.

There are downloadable instruction booklets for both the pasta boat and the unit I have which is the Lekue. I found them just by googling. Have not yet tried to find the one for the Fasta pasta.

Edited to add

The one for the Fasta pasta is not terribly helpful.

"What cooking time do I use? Don’t worry! Pick one and try it! You will know to use the lower or higher cooking time after your first experience."

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I think these items are for , well not eG's.

i can't say Ive seen a Red Engineering notebook that's Pocket sized

that's what I think might help

or as I do from time to time, after Serious study

a post-it on the cabinet above where the Work needs to be Done.

i have one for my coffee roaster, I have to set three interval times.

its so old its a bit curly 

but still sticks

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

HAHAHAHAHA! I bought a plastic box with a vent called FASTA PASTA!!!! Just  because you guys talked about it !!! 

and you know what? it not only makes perfect pasta…shut the door good…. it makes freaking Korean style rice perfectly! 

and Korean porridge in like 20 min? what???????

seriously this is so incredibly crazy this thing works I had to come back and say something

I could not feed a family or friends …with this thing (still need the big pot of water on the stove for that)  … but for two of us? 

shocked and bemused! the damn thing works perfectly ..

in the mean  time i need to stop buying things  and get my kitchen done thanks 

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
  • Like 3
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

hummingbirdkiss

I got a FP from Amazon on Friday.

Im keen on this.  Ill get to it soon.

for your personal 'al dente ' or mouth-feel preference   

after you review the Times on the Box of pasta

when to you start your count-down in the Micro

after it boils in the micro ?

or you are sooooo keeeeeen on this item, you have noted the 

A ) pre-micro-boil time

B ) Added this to the 'personal cook time'

and then punched this time in and went about your business ?

thanks

HAHAHAHAHA! I bought a plastic box with a vent called FASTA PASTA!!!! Just  because you guys talked about it !!! 

and you know what? it not only makes perfect pasta…shut the door good…. it makes freaking Korean style rice perfectly! 

and Korean porridge in like 20 min? what???????

seriously this is so incredibly crazy this thing works I had to come back and say something

I could not feed a family or friends …with this thing (still need the big pot of water on the stove for that)  … but for two of us? 

shocked and bemused! the damn thing works perfectly ..

in the mean  time i need to stop buying things  and get my kitchen done thanks

Completely amused but also confused. I wonder how two things can be so similar and yet so different. I am just terribly disappointed with my version but hesitate to buy another one.

My 2004 eG Blog

I saw this demo'd on an ep of Test Kitchen a while back.   I was very intereseted

""   Not having to deal with a large pan of the water was what pushed me in the direction of a different way of cooking pasta. "'

this would do long pasta flat, and no pot etc.

BB$B did not have this on display, you had to order it.  

if they had one in-store  Im sure Id get it  (  20 % Off ! )  for ease of use for long pasta.

here is the ep :

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/products/5345-fasta-pasta-microwave-cooker

and

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment_reviews/1532-microwave-pasta-cookers

Id not start the 14 day free trial if I were you.

I can't get in there to see which ones they reviewed. Are you able to post that here or is ghat maybe a no-no due to copyright issues?

I can't get in there to see which ones they reviewed. Are you able to post that here or is ghat maybe a no-no due to copyright issues?

Rotuts, never mind. I should have scrolled down further to where the video link was before my fingers hit the keyboard.

I used my Lekue pasta cooker tonight to cook some fusilli. Stovetop it should take nine minutes which of course assumes that the water is already boiling. In the microwave it took 14 minutes. Faster? I am not sure. I can bring a 6 quart pot of water to a boil in what seems like the blink of an eye on my induction range. But speed is not the issue here. Not for me anyway. But this monstrosity is just waiting for an accident to happen. I think I have determined it was designed by someone with very, very large hands. It is heavy and awkward and there is no possibility that I can drain it by simply tipping it upside down so I also need a strainer. It is in the bin headed for a charity store somewhere although I feel guilty even passing it on.

Edited to fix spelling.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

The Fasta Pasta device has slits/slots at only one end of the lid so basically you just tip and pour much like you would with a pot. Personally l just use a plastic colander as I've always done.

p

I used my Lekue pasta cooker tonight to cook some fusilli. Stovetop it should take nine minutes which of course assumes that the water is already boiling. In the microwave it took 14 minutes. Faster? I am not sure. I can bring a 6 quart pot of water to a boil in what seems like the blink of an eye on my induction range. But speed is not the issue here. Not for me anyway. But this monstrosity is just waiting for an accident to happen. I think I have determined it was designed by someone with very, very large hands. It is heavy and awkward and there is no possibility that I can drain it by simply tipping it upside down so I also need a strainer. It is in the bin headed for a charity store somewhere although I feel guilty even passing it on.

Edited to fix spelling.

What you say makes sense.  According to Amazon's dimensions Fasta is just shy of a gallon in volume, which would be pretty heavy if filled completely (which it probably isn't).  Hot, heavy, with no handle seems awkward and perhaps dangerous.  Also the danger of superheated water boiling over as you lift it (probably a very small danger given that the pasta is in the water).

Nevertheless, for $14 I may have to try it. This'll be by far the cheapest thing I've bought because of eG. ;)

Sistema pasta/rice cooker. 

I have had one of these for ages, two in fact, as that way it was post free.

very well made and in the 'Lucky Chinese Red'

it works a treat and every morning my steel cut oats are a creamy perfection.

sistema pasta cooker

Edited by naguere (log)

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

What you say makes sense.  According to Amazon's dimensions Fasta is just shy of a gallon in volume, which would be pretty heavy if filled completely (which it probably isn't).  Hot, heavy, with no handle seems awkward and perhaps dangerous.  Also the danger of superheated water boiling over as you lift it (probably a very small danger given that the pasta is in the water).

Nevertheless, for $14 I may have to try it. This'll be by far the cheapest thing I've bought because of eG. ;)

I just want to make it clear that I do not have the Fasta Pasta but the Lekue. It weighs over 500 grams (16ozs) empty. The base is hard and inflexible but the lid is floppy and there is nothing to keep it in place. If you turn it upside down while it is full of water and pasta everything will come tumbling out.

image.jpg

My 2004 eG Blog

The Fasta Pasta device has slits/slots at only one end of the lid so basically you just tip and pour much like you would with a pot. Personally l just use a plastic colander as I've always done.

p

p

But one of its appeals to me was that you didn't need a separate draining device.

My 2004 eG Blog

my Fasta came last week.  same time as the InstaPot.  Ive been busy with The Pot.

FP1.jpg

N.B.: " as seen on Rachael Ray "  I was not aware of that.   :huh:  so keep that in mind.

FP2.jpg

its very sturdy.  Nice measurement holes .

FP3.jpg

water level guide.   :cool:  you say.

FP4.jpg

plenty of instructions 

FP5.jpg

even more.

Ill try this out soon.  they do include a lot of timings.

• Like 2

""  the lid is floppy and there is nothing to keep it in place. If you turn it upside down while it is full of water and pasta everything will come tumbling out. ""

the Test Kitchen  mentioned this for this model or one very similar and though it was dangerous   or words to that effect.

the Fasta lid is the same sturdy rigid material as the bottom.  it fits snugly on the top but does not 'snap' on.

this might be for ease of removal after draining.

I shall see.

so far so good.

PS  its still might be useful to have Larger than Small hands.

Edited by rotuts (log)