• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liquid smoke

Josh71

Long time ago, in 2009, I got some bottles of liquid smoke, the brand was Wright's, hickory. A friend gave them to me as gift.

I used it regularly, it was nice.

And I still have a bottle or two. But, I think they are not good after almost 6 years. Yeah, last time I used it was like 2010 or so.

Now, I have searched that Wright's liquid smoke here in Europe, and I could not find one. I could import from US, but it would be very expensive.

Instead, I found different brand, Colgin liquid smoke.

Anyone has used this brand before? Is it good?

I have doubts because the ingredients contains many other things like molasses, salt, caramel color, etc. Although it's quite popular.

Compare to Wright's which doesn't contain those.

There is other brand which contains salt, SOY SAUCE, caramel color, etc.

So, I have limited experience with liquid smoke.

Any information would help, thanks

ChefSteps just had series of posts about cooking with liquid smoke.

Here is a link to smokeless smoked chicken but they also had recipes for brisket and ribs.

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/smokerless-smoked-chicken

They link to Wright's liquid smoke on Amazon, the brand that you were gifted in the past.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BHNV8N2/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00BHNV8N2&linkCode=as2&tag=delvkitc-20

I think their recipes are well researched and product recommendations are good.

Let us know what brands you use.

• Like 1

Thanks for this info!

"Lazy Kettle" all natural liquid smoke, hickory.

I found it in amazon.co.uk, and bought a bottle. Cost me almost 25 euro including shipping, quite expensive but better than importing from US.

I like that it doesn't contain salt, soy sauce, etc.

The reason for getting this liquid smoke is this recipe :

http://anovaculinary.com/the-food-lab-guide-to-sous-vide-ribs/

And also few recent videos from ChefSteps

Well, I hope the shelf life is long enough for that price, two years and I would be happy.

Edited by Josh71 (log)
  • Like 1

And I still have a bottle or two. But, I think they are not good after almost 6 years. Yeah, last time I used it was like 2010 or so.

Liquid smoke never goes bad, nor does it lose any potency.  The bottle I'm using is at least 20 years old- and I have to be just as careful now about using too much as I did when I bought it.

• Like 2

Liquid smoke never goes bad, nor does it lose any potency.  The bottle I'm using is at least 20 years old- and I have to be just as careful now about using too much as I did when I bought it.

This was my understanding as well.  I've only had one use for it, a "smoked" salmon spread.  I remember that the person who gave me the recipe told me that I'd only need to buy it once and it would last forever.  I did indeed use the same bottle for about 15 years, until it unfortunately broke in the Northridge earthquake. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info about the shelf life of liquid smoke.

So I won't throw away those Wright's bottles that still left, going to check them later. I put them in the garage because it's a bit smelly (smokey) lol.

Although I am a bit worried about the "safety". Should I worry?

Update : I still have few bottles unopened!! And I requested order cancelation to Amazon.

Edited by Josh71 (log)

Although I am a bit worried about the "safety". Should I worry?

No.  As I said, it doesn't go bad, ie, nothing will grow in it. Smoking came about as a means for preserving meat. Smoke is a preservative. Liquid smoke possesses the same preserving properties as non liquid smoke. It not only preserves meat, but it preserves itself.

• Like 2