• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sasha Petraske (1973-2015)

Rafa

Terrible news. Sasha Petraske, who founded Milk & Honey and helped usher in our current renaissance of fine drinking, has died

Anyone who enjoys a well-made drink in 2015 is indebted to Petraske. At Milk & Honey, and at all the bars started by him and his acolytes, he re-introduced imbibers to jiggered, deeply researched, craftily made classics, both old and new. Going to one of his bars was a special occasion: memorable, mysterious, unapologetically adult. His staffs were as professional as they were hospitable, as serious as they are fun. He elevated the craft. He raised the bar.

I never knew him, but as a cocktail bartender I owe him so much. He helped create the environment in this city, among bartenders and guests alike, that makes so much of what we do possible. Like many, I got my first education in classic drinks through Milk & Honey's official app, Bartender's Choice; I still use it as a reference to introduce people to the ratios and recipes of the classics. 

Rest in peace. 

• Like 2

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

This loss can't be overstated.  I'm going to put down the lack of comment here to shock.

Although I never met Sasha Petraske, I drank happily at many of his bars.  And at many other bars that never would have existed without him.

The man described here

http://www.grubstreet.com/2015/08/sasha-petraske-obit.html?mid=twitter-share-grubstreet

is a very rare person of principle and vision.  And a dedicated craftsman.  That he achieved all that he did while largely eschewing a celebrity/social media identity is remarkable.  In this Trump and Kardashian driven world, he and what he created are unusually fine.

Heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.  

There will be a memorial daiquiri hour for him on August 31st:

http://www.ravenwood.org/sasha/

Lift a glass if you can.

-Mike 

• Like 5

I was in Milk and Honey LDN the day before he passed.  That place is the reason I ever wanted to carry on in this job.

I don't really know what else to say.  It's odd feeling a connection to a man you didn't ever meet.

• Like 3

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

I was in Milk and Honey LDN the day before he passed.  That place is the reason I ever wanted to carry on in this job.

I don't really know what else to say.  It's odd feeling a connection to a man you didn't ever meet.

Agreed. I never went to Milk and Honey, but I used to go to Little Branch every time I went to NY - it was probably the first serious cocktail bar that I went to and definitely the first I fell in love with, and a huge inspiration. Nothing complicated, just simple classic drinks executed PERFECTLY. I haven't been in about 2 years but I still place it in my top 3 list for any city I've been to (Death & Co, Little Branch, and the defunct but reopening Passenger in DC).

• 4 months later...