• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hard Boiled (and shelled) Eggs at Grocery Stores

gulfporter

I just discovered these.   And yes, I'm aware I can make them at home for less than 1/2 the cost, but sometimes I'll pay for convenience.  

I've never been a fan of peeling hard-boiled eggs and it always seems I'll get a wayward batch of 'sticky' shells whenever I want to make a pretty plate of deviled eggs.  

What's surprised me about these is the expiration dates.  I bought a bag yesterday at Winn-Dixie (August 19th) and the stamped expiry date is October 2nd!  

When I bought a bag at Trader Joes I don't recall the length of time on the expiration date, though it did say to eat the eggs within 7 days of opening the package.  

I must say I enjoy not adding any more steam (and heat from the cooktop itself) to our Florida house, this time of year.  

At 60 calories each they are a suitable mid-morning snack (and no peeling on my part!).  We also use them for a spur of moment cold plate meals, along with cheese, smoked fish, fruit; I usually do a quick deviled egg prep for those meals.  

Edited by gulfporter (log)

Did you rinse them first?  

I found both batches from 2 different stores to be the same as home-boiled.

I wouldn't say that if I was still back in AZ and had a neighbor who gave me fresh eggs from her small brood, but compared to standard grocery eggs that I'd boil myself, I found the pre-boiled, pre-shelled to be a good substitute.  

Maybe an SSB will weigh in on this but regarding the long expiration date, perhaps they're gassed with nitrogen (like grocery store meat is) to make them last longer.Once you open the package then the gas is gone and normal expiration occurs (7 days mentioned above). Just a guess on my part...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I've bought them before.  Handy when I used to work.  Good snack at work.  I also bought them for a trip which included a hospital stay for a loved one.  Super handy to snack on while waiting overnight. I thought they tasted just fine.

Modified atmosphere packaging is almost never mentioned in the ingredients list - and, indeed, it's not an ingredient - so that doesn't help answer the question.  Also, let's bear in mind air is 78% nitrogen, so it's perfectly harmless in this application.  Mind, I'm not saying these are packed in nitrogen; I don't know either way.  Just pointing out something relevant to the conversation.

And not fond of the product myself, but it's the texture I find a bit weird rather than the flavor.  Don't begrudge 'em, though, to anyone who likes 'em.

I found this at the American Egg Board site (www.aeb.org).  

I can't be sure, but it sounds as if the bag I have (from Winn Dixie) isn't packed in an altered environment since it lists sodiam benzoate and citric acid on its label.  

Refrigerated Whole Hard-Cooked, Peeled And Unpeeled Eggs, Plain or Pickled, Wedged, Sliced, or Chopped Mechanically or hand-peeled and either packed in a liquid solution of 0.1% sodium benzoate or potassium sorbate (mold inhibitors) and an organic acid (usually citric acid) or packaged in an altered environment with inert nitrogen to extend shelf life.

Edited by gulfporter (log)