• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need a fresh approach to an old rotisserie

teapot

For the cabin we just built,  I plunked down a cool $100 to buy a fabulous 1959 GE Range. One of it's many delightful features is a rotisserie that works very well.  I've done a couple of chickens and a boneless leg of lamb, but I'm new to rotisserie cooking and could use some advice.  (The original instruction book came with the stove but I don't trust a booklet that tells me to cook lamb to an internal temp of 190 degrees.)

If I want a dark crispy exterior and a moist interior to my roasts, should I start at hot (400+) temp and then reduce to low?  Or vice a versa? Should I slightly crack the oven door to vent?  Are there things I should make that would benefit from a low and slow approach the entire time? 

Would really appreciate any suggestions!

36-DSCF1558.JPG

• Like 2

I agree with the concept of just setting the temperature and leaving it there instead of changing it. At the very end you could turn on the broiler for a minute or 2 just to crispy outside if it's not crisp enough for you. You definitely want to cook with the door closed that will keep some of the humidity in the oven instead of letting it all escape. It doesn't help a lot but it certainly doesn't hurt any and is no real need to open the door except when you are broiling.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

My rotisserie experience is limited to the rotating thing over our gas grill. We don't try to regulate temperature; it's high heat (for chicken) all the way until done.

Based on that limited experience, I'd try first to go with high heat; if the internal temperature didn't come up enough I'd finish with a lower temperature.

Your kitchen looks wonderful. I'd be very pleased to come help you experiment. It might take many tests. :smile:

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

As a starting point my countertop rotisserie cooks a 3 to 4 pound chicken at 375°F for one and a half hours.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

A constant temperature will work fine but if you want the best results, start at a low temp until the meat is mostly there, then give it a blast of very high heat at the end to crisp up the outside. You'll get more even results and the meat will brown faster since the outside will be drier.

• Like 2

PS: I am a guy.

Thanks for the comments. My son-in-law, who is a chef, suggested a slight venting to create a dryer heat so the exterior crisps more.  I've done two chickens (both dry-brined), one was cooked at a steady 350 and was unremarkable - pretty but the skin was flaccid and white meat dry.  The second was cooked at 400 (with slight venting) and was crispy skinned and moist. 

I can't turn the broiler on to finish because broiling stops the rotisserie...but increasing the heat at the end may be the better way to go -- sort of a reverse sear approach. 

Smithy - thanks for the compliment. If you're ever near Yellowstone, come on by. We're on a famed trout fishing lake and surrounding by mountains and wildlife -- its my little piece of heaven  :smile:

IMG_6481 (1).JPG

• Like 8