• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pressure Cooking Fagor 6 qt Rapid Express

rotuts

my apologies I was unable to find the PC thread after a search

i have this PC :

http://www.fagoramerica.com/cookware/pressure_cookers/rapid_express_line/rapid_express

and I have low-end Burton induction 'hob' w 5  settings.  this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-6000-1800-Watt-Induction/dp/B000MVN1M6

I have had the Fagor for some time yet have not used it.  Its about  time, no ?  this model has one 15 psi setting and I thought Id start off w 

some red bliss potatoes for an eventual potato salad.  So far so good.  Here is the insert that came with the Pot:

PC Insert.jpg

I note that this insert is shallow.  1.75 " in height for the pan, 1/4 " for the three embossed 'feet'  I know that the PC came w

a heavy wire triangle lille gizzmo, but its hiding at the moment.

I thought Id use this Rx as an initial guide :

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pressure-cooker-potato-salad/

its not clear to me what ' 3 minute stream release' is.  do they suggest taking the PC off the heat, moving the valve to steam release

and wait 3 minutes, then do the cold-water fast cool down then open the PC ?

if I use the shallow insert to keep the potatoes off the bottom, some will be in water, most not.

would I put the insert in upside down so then all the potatoes are lout  of the water ?

im going to wait a few days to try this as i thought id do it outside on the burton when the humidity drops a bit

not for the PC but for me.

Im also assuming i set the burton on hight  ( 5 ) then when steam is release, turn the plate down to the lowest setting that still gives off

steam ?

many thanks for your help.

P.S.:  i just got the TestKitchen 'Pressure Cooker Perfection' from my library.  for potatoes for salad  they recommend

1 lbs Red Potatoes, cut into 3/4 " pieces and 1 1/2 cup water w 2 TB vinegar.  7 min. high, quick release.  they do not

recommend the 'under the cold faucet water' method under any circumstances, which might be a safety issue

I like safety with PC, as a long time ago there was an 'incident' etc.

which is probably why Ive taken so long to get the Fagor going in the first place.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I have used a Fagor Duo 6 litre, similar except straight sides and two settings, 15 psi (which is better than any stand alone PC), and 11 psi, which works better for soft foods such as salmon.

My only problems with Fagor are the flimsy steamer insert, too close to the bottom, and the heat transfer bottom plate, which will scorch rice or other carbs if I am not careful.

All the Fagors work on induction without the extra disc. You may want to return yours, or use it as a lid on other pots.

The recipe should work; allow extra time (8 or 9 min.) if the flesh is very firm, and the thickness 1" or so. Start timing when you hear a slight steam hiss from the lid.

I believe the steam release used in the recipe[e is simply turning the control all the way left (off), heat off, and waiting for a normal release, around 3 minutes.

Water cooling scared me too, but sometimes you need it, say for seafood. It works, and seems to be safe, if you use oven mitts.

I bought a $3. stainless steel steamer insert in an Asian store which keeps the food 1.5" above the water.  Some bamboo inserts should work, too.

My most surprising discovery was steaming 2 1.5 lb lobsters, 8 - 9 minutes, no worries about squealing or piercing, and piping hot but not soggy or overcooked.

thank you.  maybe ill find the triangle thing-eh   I have a good idea where it is.

You may want to return yours, or use it as a lid on other pots."

Im not quite sure what you mean by this.

If I go to the trouble of finding the triangle item, that would lift the tray off the bottom

​I do agree that the insert could be more robust.  If I manage to get the idea of PC with this model 

I can't imagine fish in it, but a few other more hearty things after i study a few books

thanks for taking the time to help me with your experience.

Ive more or less saved the price of an Inta-Pot. if I can use this from time to time.

​I can't see myself being a PC Aficionado any time soon

no  just the Burton

im sure I have more than two os these  'Hide-ing Out"

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Collapsible-Vegetable-Steamer/dp/B005IEGQH4/ref=pd_sim_79_1/185-2724216-2413069?ie=UTF8&refRID=13CN4G7JQVEYDJRS2175

Ill get one and put it over the upside down Ss insert and see.

if I do get the hang of PC  I would not mind a SS taller insert but Ill make do

thanks again !

BTW  I live not so far from Cape Cod.

I shudder now days on driving their in the Peak Season

But I used to go all the time, having really good friends there and we always had lobster

they ordered theirs from a very nice quality Lobster Monger

and they used a Medical Grade auto-clave to cook all the pre-orders.  they had two of these

the real deal.

best and sweetest lobster ive ever had.

• Like 1

Rotuts congrats on getting started with your pressure cooker.  You have two things working together that each need their own little tweaks.

First, have you done the water test? Also, at what heat setting are your bringing and maintaining pressure with your induction burner - pressure cooking is tricky but not impossible with these. 

I'm not familiar with this recipe - but I think the recipe author means for you to pressure cook for 3 minutes at high pressure, and then let the cooker release pressure naturally for 3 minutes (don't open) and then release pressure.  You don't need to carry your cooker to the sink, the pressure selection valve has the option to release pressure: It looks like a little cloud with lines going to it.

Ciao,

L

• Like 1

hip pressure cooking - making pressure cooking hip, one recipe at a time!

pazzaglia

many thanks for your help

Im guessing your water test is just doing a First Test w just water ?

good idea. 

thanks again !

pazzaglia

many thanks for your help

Im guessing your water test is just doing a First Test w just water ?

good idea. 

thanks again !

I am quite surprised that Laura did not give you a link to this information on her site about pressure cooking on induction

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/7-dos-donts-of-pressure-cooking-with-induction/

I love the two together. They seem perfect, however, I do know the max Burton does not go particularly low and you might run into issues there.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

thank you AnnaN for chiming in

My Max is the same you have perhaps you now store that one on the Northern Island ?

the low  1 says its 100 (F) im guessing 

soon Ill do some Potatoes.

eventually this might be nice for pre-mashed potatoes i.e. whole or cut up russets

above the water  of course

thanks.

thank you AnnaN for chiming in

My Max is the same you have perhaps you now store that one on the Northern Island ?

the low  1 says its 100 (F) im guessing 

soon Ill do some Potatoes.

eventually this might be nice for pre-mashed potatoes i.e. whole or cut up russets

above the water  of course

thanks.

Yes that particular Max Burton stays up north but I have one around here in the event of an emergency. I also have a couple of Euro Dibs which were not that much more expensive than the Max but which I like far better. However I now have a full induction range which is what I use most of the time. But Kerry and I have pressure cooked on the Max Burton up north. And one pressure cooker does live up there.

I will tell you that I have found myself much more interested in pressure cooking after coming across a book from Great Britain. You might check with your library to see if you can have a peek. It is Good Food: Pressure Cooker Favourites and is by Barney Desmazery.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

this one ? :

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Good+Food%3A+Pressure+Cooker+Favourites

ill request it at my Local.

they are very good about this

thanks again

Yes. That is the one.

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks Anna, I try not to spam the forums too much with links to my own website, but I'm glad you intervened and shared the right page!

Ciao,

L

Now I understand and appreciate your reasoning. I thought it's such an excellent discussion of pressure cooking and induction heating that it would be a shame for rotuts not to be aware of it.

Best,

Anna

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog