• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Puff pastry turnovers troubleshooting

am4290

Hello everyone!

Recently made some apple turnovers with homemade apple compote and homemade puff pastry. They where delicious but I'm just a bit curious as to a) why did they rise so unevenly as when I buy them from the shops they are all very uniform and b) how can I stop them from opening up during baking?

Any helps and tips would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance :)

image.jpg

Edited by am4290 (log)
  • Like 2

It looks like you did not crimp the edges with the end of a fork (the tines).  There's one in your photo that does look like it has been crimped.  It's on the right-hand side around the vertical center.  The one with the point facing up.  Could that be a store bought one thrown in there for comparison?  Or perhaps the crimping was too lightly done?

• Like 1

Thanks for the response! I did actually crimp the edges but I guess some of them must have not been deep enough that's why some stayed closed well and others open.. Will try again next time :)

Those are stunningly beautiful and you should be thrilled with the fantastic puff you got.  The reason yours are so beautiful and each one different is because YOU made your pastry, not a machine.  Be proud!  Gorgeous.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl