• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Pseudonyms

liuzhou

Well, the Rat Coffins made me think of Tortures and Nasties - perhaps better known as Tourtieres and (Cornish) Pasties, although I didn't realize this until I was almost 20 because they were only ever referred to as Tortures and Nasties in my house.

• Like 1

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

And there is another Australian delicacy - the "rat coffin"

A pastry shell enclosing chunks of mystery meat dressed in thick brown gravy.. It also goes by the name of a meat pie.

Simon

I have to say the commercial where they disparage dodgy meat pies from the service station as "Servo Pies" is quintessentially Australian.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Frog spawn - tapioca pudding

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have long considered E-numbers as used in Europe and beyond to be mere pseudonyms/

dissimulations for food additives. 

Still, it's amazing how many people report sensitivity to MSG, but are OK with E621.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted my 7 year old daughter to eat a snail so I told her it was chicken. I told her the truth the next day, so she knows she's eaten snail, but blindly.

Similarly, in Italy back in 1994, friends served me some minced meat, then told me the next day that it had been horse, so I've eaten horse, but blindly.