• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Pseudonyms

liuzhou

Does this topic include pseudonyms that are less than appetizing corruptions? Like 'beef spew', 'catshit and mouse turd', 'goat meal'?

keys and parrots

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Some of the locals here are partial to dog meat. It is usually described as 狗肉, literally 'dog meat'. They ain't shy about it.

However, it is sometimes referred to colloquially as 香肉 ‘fragrant meat' or 低柔 ‘earth mutton'. 

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I'm sure when I was in junior and high school, many of the dishes served up in the rather dire school canteen has pseudonyms. These weren't designed to make the food more appealing. It would haeve taken a lot more than a bit of wordplay to make these in any way appealing. 

These names were bestowed by the pupils and were intended to make things even worse.

The only one I can recall (it was in the middle of the last century!) is the current cake which was served with custard once a week. Universally known as 'fly cemetery'.

At the US school I attended, I recall the 'Chicken a la King' regularly served in the canteen being referred to by the kids as 'runover chicken on a roll'. This was still pretty generous, in my opinion, since It was atrocious, looked like cat sick.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I'm sure when I was in junior and high school, many of the dishes served up in the rather dire school canteen has pseudonyms. These weren't designed to make the food more appealing. It would haeve taken a lot more than a bit of wordplay to make these in any way appealing. 

These names were bestowed by the pupils and were intended to make things even worse.

The only one I can recall (it was in the middle of the last century!) is the current cake which was served with custard once a week. Universally known as 'fly cemetery'.

I just spotted my typo. Of course, I meant "currant cake".    :blush:  :blush:  :blush: 

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

you bet

CANadian OiLA

who would buy  Rape seed Oil ?

:blink:

CANadian Oilseed Low Acid, actually.

I'm violently allergic to eggs, and as a kid I figured that Eggplant was just some evil way the vegetable kingdom had devised of trying to murder me over dinner - like, not only are chickens out to get me, but now there's this plant that lays eggs?  Nope, nope, nope, that's not going within a mile of my mouth.  Mom solved this by calling the various dishes she fed me "Berenjena, Basque Style," "Ratatouille" and "Aubergene Casserole" - she never ever mentioned the English name of the vegetable she was serving me.  I should mention that I absolutely *adore* eggplant in all its myriad presentations, probably because Mom fooled me into eating it while young.

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)
  • Like 3

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

""  Eggplant was just some evil way the vegetable kingdom had devised of trying to murder me over dinner ""

this is universally true.

if your eat eggplant, and are not dead yet , think of those PurpleBombs just ticking away inside you right now.

just saying

• Like 3

I can only serve tongue to my husband heavily sauced in gravy (another "pot roast") or on a sandwich with jus on the side ("french dip"). Even peeled I think he might recognize the musculature if it wasn't covered up.  

Pickled tongue is a local favorite...don't know if it's Basque-related or just an agricultural community thing.

Regarding tongue, I've posted this before but I make it a rule to never taste something that can taste me back.  :laugh:

Some folks around here just call it "pickled beef" (which, technically, it is) to get the inexperienced to eat it.

edited to add the pseudonym 

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

When my mother would put lima beans on the table I would balk at eating them.  This would just make her more insistent that I eat  them.  Sometimes she would tell me to pretend they were turkey, but this never worked for me.  A lima bean is a lima bean, and truthfully, her turkey wasn't that great either.

• Like 4

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Pickled tongue is a local favorite...don't know if it's Basque-related or just an agricultural community thing.

Regarding tongue, I've posted this before but I make it a rule to never taste something that can taste me back.  :laugh:

Some folks around here just call it "pickled beef" (which, technically, it is) to get the inexperienced to eat it.

edited to add the pseudonym 

Pickled tongue sliced thin and piled high on rye with mustard was how I grew up eating tongue. In fact the only way I ever had it until I was an adult. I pickled pork once for a pork and beans dish and have thought about pickling a tongue. Of course, I would have to call it bologna.

In the US "buttermilk", the cultured kind, used to be called, by law, "imitation buttermilk".  Now I can't find real buttermilk to buy.  Lot's of Middle Eastern recipes call for "buttermilk" but I think they mean imitation buttermilk, not real buttermilk.  Not sure.

Needless to say, recipes should specify, because the ingredients are quite different.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I'm in the middle of translating a cookbook from Chinese to English. Just came across one dish called "杞子炖牛鞭" which literally translates as "Goji ()Wolfberries) Stewed Ox Whip".

'Ox whip' is actually ox penis.

• Like 1

After the Norman Conquest, the English ruling class spoke French while the poor people who did all the work spoke Anglo-Saxon.  That is why the food "on the hoof" is called something different from the people who saw it on the table. Lamb- mutton, Deer-venison, pig-pork, cow-beef, etc.  

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

And cremini are just brown button mushrooms. They  are all Agaricus Bisporus.

exactly why I shop at the store that sells bulk brown mushrooms , instead of the one that sells bulk cremini.  $2.99 /lb vs 4.99

• Like 1

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow