• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 1)

Anna N

Shelby do it!!! seriously just take the stem off poke a hole and do about 1/2 cup of water maybe use the little basket thing it lifts it right out whole ? hit the button walk away and when it is done it is done and really really a nice way to cook the pumpkin the if you have a vitamix or blender like this ..wizz the crap out of it and wow so good ..the richness the seeds are really an asset in this puree that is for sure

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
  • Like 2
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

im going to try this for soup soon .  I like the idea of less work, more flavor.

Indeed I might call up the company about the temps etc.

in the manual, on pp.11 the Fx keys are explained :  Soup, Porridge, poultry, Meat/Stew, Bean/Chili, Rice, Multigrain.

these are pressure settings as the vent is closed.   but nothing is said about the differences.

Under soup, it does mention that the water 'never goes into a heavy boiling state '  the broth remains clear.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

I called IP

very nice people, BTW, eh ?

they referred me to this page :

http://instantpot.com/benefits/specifications-and-manuals/instant-pot-ip-duo-series-specifications/

if you scroll down, you see some specifications on pressure and temps.

Im just guessing, that some if not most of these Fx keys make it easier for some of us to work the pot

not that I know that much, but Meat/Stew might be close if not identical to Soup

the Ball is in Your Court to ask for more info

I did suggest that they needed a 'basket' and it might be coming.

Sorry, Im placing the Puck on Your Ice.

:huh:

[ ed.: apparently they keep the Extra Pucks in little freezers Near the Ice  :blink: ]

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

I am really missing my IP right now (and my Vitamix and TMX which also would be useful I know). They are all up north and I am down south - with the perfect pie pumpkin sitting on my counter (which has been awaiting my experimentation with the baked pumpkin with gruyere and sausage recipe from thekitchn.com I posted about on the cook off thread).

If the IP was here I might have changed my mind and tried hummingbirdkiss's puree instead - and used the huge acorn or a very pale pumpkin-shaped butternut squash I also bought (eyes bigger than stomach - why did I buy 3?) for that other dish.

When I get back up north I doubt I will be able to find a good pumpkin for IP cooking so I may have to live till next year on that one - but thanks for the description - it had my mouth watering.

• Like 2

Thanks for doing that Rotuts I am happy to know I just put another pumpkin in there thinking I will make sure this is as good the second time 

I had no idea what that basket was for until this thread was started ..I had even forgotten it was part of the pot but now I use it all the time

22694756406_6ab7309b0a.jpgI just gashed it with a knife this time instead of cutting a hole and put a half cup of water and hit "stew" this time for a comparison on the seeds maybe if I you do not have a heavy duty blender but a pressure cooker and hit this hotter longer …great you checked this out Rotuts I had no idea about the settings and that really gives me a better perspective …such geeks we are ..now I am back in the thread hunting for ideas I can figure the presets  accordingly ..I bet this would be really good with a cup of orange or apple juice right? but no I am sticking with the water one more time to make sure it is the same ..I used the soup last time I think I said and now I am trying the stew and EVEN less work by slashing it instead of cutting a hole 

this little guy is going to be a pie…allow my digression … my husband is kind of a buttweed today…and I have been on strike for the most part waiting for the damn counters ..shit I am done making meals come from nowhere this has gone on for months right????…..but in the meantime I ….his heart is in the right place . he is just in need of a pie today. and I am going to try to bake it in a commercial cookie oven I found in the basement so wish me luck it only has one temp who the hell knows what that is ..I can call the company obviously !!! there is a number on the back but it says "if found return to "LOLOL (I won it in a scavenger hunt at a food show LOLOL it is Otis Spunkmeyer and great for kids parties I forgot I had it ..another treasure found!) 

• Like 2

Piglet 

I have not done this so we look up to you HBK

Id cut out the stem completely as a way to get more steam into the pumpkin and move more air around

or a few deep cuts after the stem is removed  to help even the heat

how long have you been IP'ing the pumpkins ?

I can guess the weight by the fact that it fits in the pot.

ok I have done two pumpkins and this is the way to go to get your sugar pumpkins ready for anything that starts with "you will need cooked pumpkin puree"  you can either push the soup our stew button and walk away no timing needed just when it is done with the cycle and you can open it the pumpkin will be done ….both times soup and stew…with same/perfect results ..  but put three knife holes in to vent worked better on the seeds than a hole in the top … (I bet you do not even have to do that if it explodes where is it going ? ) I like pulling  the entire cute cooked to perfection pumpkin out and dropping it into the blender then using the plunger to mash it in and the half cup of water you put in the pot…puree until smooth and voila perfect puree with  all the guts and seedy goodness … the only thing I tossed in the compost heap was the stem 

for lunch  I made pumpkin tea 

just hot water dates and pumpkin (quantities sufficient to amt desired )in the blender pinch of salt and pepper wiz it up   and serve with some heavy cream ….with the flavor of the seeds and roasted pumpkin it was all I needed for lunch very hardy, yummy results (I guess it sounds like soup but I always called this version "tea" ) 

I hope someone tries it ..but it would only be as good as the pumpkins for sure ..and I can not wait to try another squash I just had soooo many pumpkins to start eating 

• Like 2

Piglet 

how long did it take to get the seeds to where you wanted them to be for the blender ?

do you mean in the cooker (I just pushed the button and walked off they came out perfect both times) 

or did you mean in the blender? if so I put the whole pumpkin right into the blender and wizzed it about a minute or two working my way up and the seeds vanished I swear ..I HATE grit even in a smoothie I can not stand protein powder ..there is no grit this is amazing to me! so whatever the cycle time was for the soup and stew function is how long my cooking time was  before you could open the top? does that make sense when it popped the pumpkin was ready I did not vent it ..there was still time on the LC cycle ( 35 minutes for stew and 30 for soup is that what you wanted to know I just looked?) 

Piglet 

cooker

it takes a certain amount of time for the cooker to get to pressure no matter what button you push.

the theoretical cook time stars then

so  in your case  :

push the button, then come back when ?   do these have timed cycles that then revert to 'warm' after they finish or do you set that time ?

• Like 1

yes they do have timed cycles then revert to warm

I don't know Rotuts I am so sorry? I pushed the button went and did a project and then came back next time I will pay more attention at the exact timing of the beginning to end .. I am sorry

Piglet 

no worries.

your idea is an excellent one as I like the idea of less waste ( if tasty, even better if tastier ! )

but i love the idea of less work, esp w squash     and no  Ive never dropped so low to buy the pre-cut up.

I like keeping track in my mind the actual cooking times at pressure.   for no particular reason.

BTW  thanks for mentioning the blender contribution

I have a upper level Breville, not one of those Vita-Tech's that puree set concrete.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Thanks Rotuts ...I was worried the seeds might change it too much ...but only did it improve...if you wanted a finer puree it could be seived very fine and still leave little behind

I come here specifically to be called to task on being more precise ...I have little kids in my life that need more structure from me in my recipe translations.

You folks are my only hope

Piglet 

I took the plunge, Hummingbird!  

My pumpkins aren't the sugar kind, they are just regular 'ole pumpkins so I had to search through my pile to find one small enough to fit in the IP.  

I cut the top off and dug the seeds out because I wanted to roast them.

Then I put a cup of water in and the pumpkin, pushed the "soup" button and went about my day.  Mr. pumpkin was PERFECT.  Nice and soft, no reason to peel it at all.

I was busy so I threw Mr. pumpkin in the fridge until yesterday when I decided to make Liamsaunt's recipe for butternut squash soup, only using pumpkin.  I dumped some chicken broth in that I made earlier this week along with the carrots, onions, garlic, celery, butter, spices etc.  Then I thought "What the hell, I'll just cube up the pumpkin in there, too"  which, essentially pressure cooked it a second time, but I'm making soup, so who cares if it gets super mushy lol.  Then I pushed the soup button.  

Perfect.  

After it cooled a bit I used my little hand-held immersion blender and it worked like a charm.  I didn't even have to use my big food processor!

I added all the other ingredients needed, threw the lid on and pushed the keep warm button (which is awesome...it counts how long the warm button has been on rather than you having to put in a specific time to keep it warm.)

Kept it warm until I got the rest of dinner finished.

I put a bit of homemade salsa on top.  This soup is soooo good.  And, pretty healthy. 

PB040893.JPG

Thank you HBK for the pumpkin tip!  

On another note, my husband told me that there is a shortage of canned pumpkin this year.  I haven't researched it myself, but maybe we could all get rich by IP'ing our pumpkins and canning them lol.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 4

Shelby right????? It is a touch richer and nuttier and nothing negative texture wise  YAY! think of all the flavor,  fiber and vitamins we were passing up ..I am so excited you tried it ..thanks! I am not alone in my crazy! I told my friend and she told me to "SHUT UP only YOU would put a whole pumpkin in a blender" and see no I am not!!! 

• Like 2

Piglet 

So, I did another pumpkin today with the full intent of making some more soup to give to my m-i-l.  

Then, while in the shower, I had an idea.

Pumpkin butter!

Easy peasy.  Cook the pumpkin.  I added some brown sugar and some honey along with cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and a glug of vanilla.  Blended with my stick blender, cooked on warm for a bit and all done.

PB060894.JPG

PB060893.JPG

• Like 4

I'm using my IP more and more.

Last night I quick fried some chicken that my husband had brined, then I threw it all in the IP and pressure cooked it for 15 mins.  SO tender.

I wasn't brave enough to fry it in there, too.  I've read mixed views on that and I didn't want to blow up my kitchen.

PB080896.JPG

• Like 4