• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 1)

Anna N

I just purchased a replacement gasket for the IP, not that I needed one but when and if I did, I would have it. Additionally I decided to purchase the glass lid (slow cooking etc.) and the silicone storage lid. the glass lid is what it is, however the silicone was definitely impressive. Very heavy and sealed well. Ideal for stews that are to be considered "leftovers", yet do not require the transfer to a new vessel to store. The Amazon price in CDN$ was only $15.50, and well worth the price imho, obviously cheaper S of the border.

p

• Like 2

^^One of the few times that amazon.com has pleased me - they don't ship these to Orillia (N of the border) :raz:  - I have one of those and find myself very insecure when lifting something hot as I am not able to get a firm grip, even with a handle.

• 3 weeks later...

Huge price drop on Amazon for the Instant Pot IP-LUX60 6-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker 6-Quart 1000-Watt.

Not sure how long the sale will last.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Id splurge a bit if you can and get the 7 - 1

it might be bigger, or have features that might be updated.

but if the one you mention does 'pressure-steam' and has the same 'pot' size

it might be worth it

Ive always tried , when getting 'hardware' to get the next one up if I could afford it

as Im not going to get another one for  a Great Long While.

the IP is an outstanding Helper in the Kitchen.

it provides "Free" outstanding weight gain !

esp if you are a student to  Potato Salad  ( all kinds )

Mashed Potatoes  ( Russets please )

and Beets.

this Feature is not mentioned on the Web nor in their manual.

PS  Im wondering if the "pot" in this one is not S.S.

Edited by rotuts (log)

PA300884.JPG

PA300885.JPG

PA300886.JPG

I finally got the store and bought some baby back ribs.  Ohhhhhhhh the IP impressed us.  My husband was VERY impressed, in fact.

Next time I think we're going to throw them in the electric smoker for like 45 mins just to get some of that smokey flavor.

I could have broiled them a bit longer, but they smelled too good.  And, the fries were done lol.

I did make a salad to go along with.....but I don't think either of us touched it.  Too entranced with the pork.

• Like 5

The idea of being able to hurry some meat along without damaging it is very appealing. Take Shelby's ribs, for instance: that can be done with hours of slow cooking in our oven, but it really does take hours. We've been experimenting with pork shanks and trying to get them right, and that's also a long, slow cook. A quick shot of smoke, a bit of time in the IP, and I bet we'd have dinner much more quickly. We aren't in a position right now to acquire, much less use, an Instant Pot but I continue to follow this topic with keen, gluttonous interest. :-D

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Shelby

what were your timings on the ribs in the IP ?

it seems you did put them above the water so they were 'pressure-steamed'

consider putting a few drops of Wrights liquid smoke in the water or a very careful small pat of the diluted liquid smoke on the ribs

I don't see a reason for an extra 45 in a smoker

consider a sauce of your choice at the pre-broiler point w a few drops of the liquid smoke.

consider several coats of your finishing sauce, say every 5 min  etc

everybody gaining weight in Kansas ?

well  get to the potato salad !

:laugh:

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

I did them for 30 mins using the stew/meat button and then used the quick release method.  Very tender.  The only reason for the smoker would be to get the "smokey" taste more in them.  I'll try some liquid smoke, too, next time.

• Like 1

OK

there are a lot of buttons on the IP   some might be the same as others

I use  Manual, the the high pressure then - fore the 30 minutes.

add the smoke into your glaze and add the glaze a few times while under the broiler.

let us know

Im having IP mash w my usual TML and gravy tonight.  peas from the can if I remember.

• Like 1

The idea of being able to hurry some meat along without damaging it is very appealing. Take Shelby's ribs, for instance: that can be done with hours of slow cooking in our oven, but it really does take hours. We've been experimenting with pork shanks and trying to get them right, and that's also a long, slow cook. A quick shot of smoke, a bit of time in the IP, and I bet we'd have dinner much more quickly. We aren't in a position right now to acquire, much less use, an Instant Pot but I continue to follow this topic with keen, gluttonous interest. :-D

You really should clear out a teensy bit of room for an IP in your glamper! I think you would find it tremendously useful there in particular.

• Like 2

You really should clear out a teensy bit of room for an IP in your glamper! I think you would find it tremendously useful there in particular.

I'm considering it. Maybe it will be my request for a Very Cool Christmas Present this year. The problem is that I don't want to have to start the generator to use it, and that would eliminate its utility during maybe half of our travels.

On the other hand, it could occupy the space presently used by our small Crock Pot™, couldn't it? Am I correct in thinking it would do all that the current slow-cooker does, and then some?

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

From my readings the IP can act as a slow cooker. I recently purchased an IP for my daughter in Austin. She was thinking of getting a slow cooker and I thought the IP could do that and more and be way more versatile for the same limited counter space. I don't think she's used it yet. All those buttons can be intimidating

• Like 1

I haven't used the slow cooker capabilities of my IP yet either to be honest - but yes, it should do what the crock pot does and more. The reason I haven't used the slow cook part is that if you can pressure cook a meal in just a few minutes, for most things it seems crazy to take all day to get to the same end.

Do you have to start up the generator to use the slow cooker, Smithy? Or do you use coach power to make it work while you are driving? I don't see why you could not set up the IP to start at a certain time (much later in the driving day if you are pressure cooking) while you are driving too - since it doesn't need to go all day (although it could as well if on slow cook setting) - and also use coach power in that case.

Edited by Deryn (log)

I needed some pumpkin puree for soup and …. feel like I have had enough roasted pumpkin seeds for a lifetime right now I have roasted/eaten so many!  (the sugar pumpkins I grew this year were the best ever super prolific,  flavorful , sweet, thick skin and loaded with really tasty fat seeds KEEPER!!! planting it again next year for sure) and just did not want to deal with gutting a pumpkin  …so I took the stem off poked a big hole in it and  put a whole sugar pumpkin in the IP yesterday, on the rack and put a little bit of water in the bottom  hit the "soup" button and walked off ..when I came back I took it out cooled it and then put the whole pumpkin, guts seeds and water it was cooked in.. into the blender  and pureed it to oblivion…the result? Fantastic thick, smooth, texture no sign of the shells of the seeds and the rich flavor of the seeds made the pumpkin so good I poured it into a cup with some salt and pepper thinned it a bit and then added cream and had some right then and there ..wow! all that nutrition and flavor ..i can not wait to make a pro of soup out of this with the seeds in the pumpkin it will be fantastic! I have put pepitas in my soup before but never just blended up a pumpkin! ..I would have been off put by a grainy texture and there was no sign at all of that smooth as silk ….think of the protein and added fiber> I am sure i am not the first to do this ?  ..but most of all the flavor is amazing ..from now on I am not scooping any pumpkins planned for puree, period and they are all going in the instant pot and then to the blender it was as sweet as if it had been roasted and since I do no have that oven yet I am not able to roast them indoors .so this is great! ….sorry no photos but it is pretty obvious ..orange pureed pumpkin nothing different looking in the fridge waiting to be soup today! 

• Like 4
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

the IP seems well insulated.  the sides on a 30 min full press cook only get warm

i have not used a slow-cooker in ages.   I think the sides got at least as warm if not a bit more so

over the time of the slow cook Im guessing and only guessing more energy might be used

I do agree w Deryn that once you get the hang of the IP  most things you might slow cook you IP on high pressure and same time and

id guess energy.

• Like 1

Nope no peeling I was super lazy and thought "what the hell it will work or be food for the animals" it worked and the richness is amazing the whole flavor is so much more buttery and fatty tasting I seriously was eating the puree out of the blender it was so good no salt nothing every bit is smooth as silk ..skin seeds guts …all of it   YAY IP!!! 

the seed shells tasted chewy out of the cooker but pureed to oblivion not at all bitter,  sandy or grainy ..just more rich flavor 

you could do this with any squash you know ..squash seeds are usually so fat like the butternuts have big fat seeds I am going to try it with the next winter squash I make ..I just love having the added nutrients and flavors ..and why do we take the guts out they taste fine ? I never understood that they are very orange and taste just as good as the squash …there were not many guts in this species of pumpkin however it is a perfect pie pumpkin as I said I am planting it again for sure it is as sweet as any squash and very pumpkinny 

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
  • Like 1
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Im wondering is anyone has figured out the various temps that result in using the different buttons :

as above   'soup'    does soup go to pressure ?  i.e. the little steel button goes into the 'up' position ?

the manual really doesn't mention the results the buttons give w regard to temp and pressure.

I'm considering it. Maybe it will be my request for a Very Cool Christmas Present this year. The problem is that I don't want to have to start the generator to use it, and that would eliminate its utility during maybe half of our travels.

On the other hand, it could occupy the space presently used by our small Crock Pot, couldn't it? Am I correct in thinking it would do all that the current slow-cooker does, and then some?

I am not one to tout something unless I'm a believer.  

The IP totally could replace your crock pot.  It is a slow cooker/pressure cooker/saute-er (lol not a word).  When I did our ribs, I took them out and turned the IP on to sauté.  Right away the BBQ sauce/juices that were in the bottom begin to simmer (I was aiming to thicken it up and pour it back over the ribs).  

Now that I've read about what Hummingbirdkiss did with her pumpkin, I'm thinking about doing that with this butternut squash that is staring at me.  Or, maybe trying it with one of my pumpkins.  

• Like 4