• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 1)

Anna N

palo:

They're selling it now here in Europe (http://www.instantpot.co.uk/). I got mine trought 

Amazon Spain so no shipping or import extra costs. The price was 169EUR (down from 249EUR),

Google says that it's about 197USD.

Anna N:

Thanks for the welcome. Your detailed posts in this topic made me pull the trigger and get the IP.

FauxPas:

Not sure where I got mine because it was some time ago, probably Amazon. It is a Kuhn Rikon,

this same model: http://amzn.to/1iWZj8x
  • Like 2

Also a welcome cta.

I lived in Madrid for two years growing up.

so a Muy Buenas your way !

hope you can post from time to time about Madrid, markets etc

that double decker steamer interests me a lot.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

That double steamer is very neat. According to one of the reviews it does come apart and can be used as two single steamers. Does it have fold-down legs? The site didn't address that question.

Do share with us what you have prepared in the IP when you have time. I am guessing you have not had it very long if my posts were the persuader.

Guess I won't be dealing with a dozen eggs today since that question seems to be now answered.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ive found this :

http://www.amazon.com/Cooks-Net-Instant-Essential-Flexible/dp/B005F5IXTA/ref=pd_sim_79_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1FGNZ9ENYBCZAP80A41X&dpID=61twrtEqOkL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR146%2C160_

note the question farther down :  some IP users are on to this

its 9 " it seems in diameter

so might fit, if anything a tight squeeze.

That double steamer is very neat. According to one of the reviews it does come apart and can be used as two single steamers. Does it have fold-down legs? The site didn't address that question.

Do share with us what you have prepared in the IP when you have time. I am guessing you have not had it very long if my posts were the persuader.

Guess I won't be dealing with a dozen eggs today since that question seems to be now answered.

I'm still going to test it doing one layer in the canning lids and then putting more on top......but not today probably.  I'm kind of "egged out" lol.

Need to look at that link for CTA's steamer (btw, welcome CTA!!).  If it's not too pricey I'd like to have one of those.  

• Like 1

if you have the routine much cheaper 'basket' such as the one I have, I seen no reason you can't put that on top of your first ( 6 ) eggs

which are arranged as noted above.

then add the second 6 to the 'basket'

I only have the one that came with the IP.  I don't have as many cool toys as you guys do :)

No foldable legs, just three little rods:

bDEMws1.jpg?1

And here you can see it in action:

WmHJexO.jpg?1

After thinking a little about it this time I throw in a couple of teaspoons and forks to keep the eggs in place and it works fine.

• Like 5

The ghee came out a shade darker than I would like, probably because I got impatient and after 10 minutes of Slow Cooking (Normal) I switch to Saute (High). In the third image you can see the aftermath. When it was ready the residual heat keep cooking it while I was looking for the ladle to pour it through the strainer.

RfundSF.jpg?1

• Like 4

cta :

thank you for joining this thread  

eventually   

if you are in the mood 

are their any Spanish dishes  esp; with chorizo Espanola

that you think are worth while in the IP ?

what about garbanzos for Caldo Gallego ?

pleased that you are here !!

• Like 2

There's a facebook group that tested many of our beans and we made this pdf of suggested times. 
You can estimate what a similar bean would be for commodity beans. I'd add five or 7 minutes if you don't know the source of your beans. 

These were all volunteers but they had specific procedures and this is what they came up with. 

you can download the pdf chart here

• Like 11

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

There's a facebook group that tested many of our beans and we made this pdf of suggested times. 

You can estimate what a similar bean would be for commodity beans. I'd add five or 7 minutes if you don't know the source of your beans. 

These were all volunteers but they had specific procedures and this is what they came up with. 

you can download the pdf chart here.

Wooheee! That will be fantastic for the bean eaters amongst us. Thank you, Steve.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

you can download the pdf chart here

Oh this is awesome.  Thank you so much!

as you will see, there are some pretty wide gaps with different people making the exact same beans from the same lots in the same machine. It seems to me the only variable is water and maybe human error. But it's a good starting point. 
Deborah madison suggests in general 20 minutes high pressure, slow release, then 20 minutes without the lid. unsoaked beans. If the beans are really no where near done, you can always put them back under pressure. The last 20 minutes with an open lid seems to help breathe life into the bean stock, which is kind of dead with a pressure cooker or slow cooker. 

The IP is good because it's bringing people into the kitchen who would not normally cook. But it's a little frustrating for new cooks as they want exact instructions and results, but this crowd at eG is a lot more understanding of the variables. Experienced cook or not, I hear nothing but positives about this machine. I have an excellent pressure cooker and too many clay pots or i'd jump in, too. 

• Like 4

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

image.jpeg

Yeah. May be a once-in-a-lifetime extravagance! This is stewing beef for crying out loud not ribeye steak. But I needed the answer as to whether it was the pressure cooker or the beef that was at fault when I attempted the Boeuf Bourguinon.

image.jpeg

I separated it into 4 -1 lb packages. Three I vacuum packed and froze.

image.jpeg

The fourth one I turned into a very simple beef stew. I followed no recipe except the one in my head. Brown the beef, brown the aromatics. Add a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste and deglaze with some beef broth. Add some carrots and some potatoes. Bring to a simmer, close and lock the lid and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Allow the pressure to drop of its own accord.

Vegetables were cooked to perfection and the meat was tender and tasty.

Good beef made all the difference not only to the stew but to my bank account also

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

are their any Spanish dishes  esp; with chorizo Espanola

that you think are worth while in the IP ?

what about garbanzos for Caldo Gallego ?

I would love to help you with spanish recipes but the thing is that I started cooking and stopped eating meat at the same time (almost fifteen years ago) so no chorizo, pancetta or jamon in my IP. I don't have any problem talking about cooking with meat and I can give you some hints but no first hand knowledge or practical experience, thought. If you you come across some recipe and need help with translation or clarification about ingredients I'll be more than happy to help. I'll ask my mother about it, but she is not a good cook (she can't read english either, so I can say it here without any risk). 

Usually people say that traditional spanish stews are much better cooked in a regular pot and at a slow simmer rather than with the 'olla express' (that's the name for the pressure cooker in Spain) and I think it's true, but one of the reasons that made me purchase the IP was the ability to throw some beans, water and vegetables on it and going to do other things without worrying about the flame, temperature, etc. since I cook only on weekends and freeze everything in individual portions so I can eat it throught the week at work. 

I didn't wrote the recipes down but my firsts two runs with the IP were a lentil stew and some black eye peas with spinachs. Next time I cook legumes I'll share the recipes (altought not traditional) here.

Edited to fix some formatting issues.
Edited by cta (log)
  • Like 1

The last 20 minutes with an open lid seems to help breathe life into the bean stock, which is kind of dead with a pressure cooker or slow cooker. 

In my experience with beans and pressure cookers it's true that you can end with a really thin watery stock sometimes. The open lid extra time helps with that but another thing I like to do it's take out some of the beans and vegetables puree, and put them back in the pot to thicken the broth.

• Like 1

Was this purchased in the US? It's all in lb weight.

Nope. Marilu's market in Burlington, Ontario. Guess the metric police have mostly given up! It's an independent market so perhaps does not come under such close scrutiny as the larger chains. The prices are a little higher but the quality is unquestionable.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

4.59 / lb seems cheap for good meat.

after all that's about  $3.67 USD w the current exchange rate

my Chuck roast cost 3.99

and Id bet its not as good.

Im a bit puzzled by the cut   " Blade Eye "   so its possibly a Chuck Eye ?

4.59 / lb seems cheap for good meat.

after all that's about  $3.67 USD w the current exchange rate

my Chuck roast cost 3.99

and Id bet its not as good.

Im a bit puzzled by the cut   " Blade Eye "   so its possibly a Chuck Eye ?

That is its weight not its price per pound. It is 6.99 a pound. Not a butcher so I'm not sure but it was certainly well trimmed and the blade sinew was gone. It was a number of muscles well tied together.

My 2004 eG Blog