• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 1)

Anna N

did you use Yukon Gold for the Champ ?

I have russets so will try RussetChamp ( w skins ) tonight.

Ive never been much of a fan of YG's  don't taste buttery to me   taste nice, not buttery.  

Butter tastes buttery to me.

PR due to their colo(u)r ?

but the waxy-ness IP'd is a different story.

I used Yukon Gold.

Anne Napolitano

Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal

We have company here (my husband's hunting buddy) and thus I am going to make some deviled eggs for appetizers.  They are always starving when they get home.

I drug the IP from the depths of the basement where it had been patiently waiting for me to welcome it to the kitchen.

I have done the test step recommended (filling it up w/ water and doing a pressure cook).  LORDY help me I don't like moving the thingy to "vent" lol.  

But, I bravely did it.

Yes.

I am a wuss.

Now, to steam some eggs........

• Like 1

the Vent only need a light touch 

you don't need to 'fully turn it' :

just a light touch

but not under your cabinets !

and away from you  yourself

try this again with a light tough.

then you on ready to go.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Well, I should know better than to experiment with something new when I have a guest.  Not a total failure, but more experimentation is needed.

I used this method from the IP site. 

I assume that I shouldn't have put 6 eggs and done the 5 like they said.

P9180731.JPG

After 5 mins. and a soak in some cold water for a few mins. they were a LOT easier to peel ( I used farm eggs from my girl so they are very very fresh ) but the yolks were not done enough.  

P9180732.JPG

I did another batch and upped the time to 6 mins.

P9180735.JPG

Still not done enough.

I went ahead and used them---the filling for the eggs is a bit...stickier than normal, but passable.  I got a thumbs up from the hunters--but then again, they were starving lol.

P9180736.JPG

I can't justify doing another batch yet, when I do, I will go for 7 mins.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 2

well, starving counts !

those eggs look mighty good for breakfast on an "EM"  home made even !

I have not used the 'steam' setting.

is this 'pressure- steam ?'

I also think you can put a lot more eggs in the IP than 5 ...

you just take notes, get what , 12 to your liking

cool  dry and put them back in the carton in the refrig and bring them out again for

deviled eggs or creamed eggs for breakfast.

do you or AnnaN use a PushPin to create a hole in the air sack which is at the flatter end ?

Edited by rotuts (log)

well, starving counts !

those eggs look mighty good for breakfast on an "EM"  home made even !

I have not used the 'steam' setting.

is this 'pressure- steam ?'

I also think you can put a lot more eggs in the IP than 5 ...

you just take notes, get what , 12 to your liking

cool  dry and put them back in the carton in the refrig and bring them out again for

deviled eggs or creamed eggs for breakfast.

do you or AnnaN use a PushPin to create a hole in the air sack which is at the flatter end ?

Oh they would have been lovely for breakfast.  I can see doing them for 4 mins is perfect for a soft boiled egg.  

I did love how much easier they were to peel.

Yes, pressure-steam.

I was afraid to experiment too much.  Do you think you could just pile some eggs in on top of one another?  The recipe said to use cookie cutters or canning bands to keep the eggs separated.  Is that necessary?  

I didn't use the push pin method.  

I will do this again.  Just the easier peel makes it worth it.  And, when I get the time right, perfect hardboiled eggs every time :)

PS :

next time those Hunters Show Up :

think Potato Salad.  Your Way.  Pressure-Steamed.  In vast quantities.   the potat's keep when cooled in the refrigerator 

and you just mix them up  'on demand '

the Hunters might even be able to eat the P.S. faster than I can.  but it would be close.

• Like 1

re: more eggs :

use the open lid's for the first layer , but i can't see why you can't figure out more layers above those to get a doz in there

you could put a strainer thing-y on top of the first layer etc

just chill and keep them for later.

but   .....   cut up potatoes for later salad   Ive kept the cooled plain potatoes in the refrigerator for a week.

in my case, that would have to be a lot of potatoes.

I did cut the cold potatoes down to 'salad' size before the final mix up.  larger chunks worked fine for the

pressure-steam part.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Grasshopper, I did all the work for you. What were you thinking?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Grasshopper, I did all the work for you. What were you thinking?

:blush:   I guess I wasn't.  Ooops.

Ok, so I shouldn't do a quick release and just let them sit there.

Dumb question:  How do you know when the slow release is done?  Remember.  I'm a newbie.  Very very green lol.

Edited to add:  I totally missed that post.  I know I did because I would have "liked" it.  I think your bread below grabbed my attention.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 1

:blush: I guess I wasn't. Ooops.

Ok, so I shouldn't do a quick release and just let them sit there.

Dumb question: How do you know when the slow release is done? Remember. I'm a newbie. Very very green lol.

The little silver button right beside the black valve that you turn to quickly release the steam will drop. You can actually hear it drop if you're close to the IP when does so. This is your indication that all the pressure has been released. Additionally you will not be able to easily unlock the lid if there is still pressure inside so don't ever try to force it. Hope that helps.

Edited to add

It usually takes about 10 minutes if there's only a cup of water in the IP.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

The little silver button right beside the black valve that you turn to quickly release the steam will drop. You can actually hear it drop if you're close to the IP when does so. This is your indication that all the pressure has been released. Additionally you will not be able to easily unlock the lid if there is still pressure inside so don't ever try to force it. Hope that helps.

Edited to add

It usually takes about 10 minutes if there's only a cup of water in the IP.

Ok.  Yes, that explains it perfectly.  Thanks.

What would I do without you????  

Next time I will have perfect eggs :)  

Kinda makes me want to do another batch now lol.

Oh, and I do like the little musical tones the pot plays upon opening and closing it.

the little silver 'button' at the center of the 'real ease' valve  drops.

Duck Season Yet ?

i can see a mostly pre-made , collection of pressure-steamed potatoes, PS eggs, made days before and even peeled after being in the refirg

for a few days  ( ive had much better luck w cold eggs left in the refirg for a short time )

some sorts of 'sauce '   white sauce ? egg sauce  etc ?  crumbled bacon

hot fresh toast    the now hot potato-egg-sauce mixture over that toast.  crumbled bacon

tons of it for the hunters

what time is it you say  ? 6:30 am ? 5 AM  4 : 30 AM ?

pretty happy hunters as the  ( waddle  :huh: ) out to the 'Blind'

I can see those Ducks just waking up   ( I did have two Labrador retrievers BTW )

checking the sights

and laughing hysterically at the sight of the Hunters That Could Not Move

Quack Quack   ( best I can to for Duck Laughter  )   ducks laugh don't they ?

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

""   I do like the little musical tones the pot plays upon opening and closing it.  ""

Ive wondered if the BlueTooth model can accept iTunes Ring Tones.

Id pick the first few bars of " The Ride of the Valkyries "

from 'Apocalypse Now '

or even earlier here :

• Like 3

the little silver 'button' at the center of the 'real ease' valve  drops.

Duck Season Yet ?

i can see a mostly pre-made , collection of pressure-steamed potatoes, PS eggs, made days before and even peeled after being in the refirg

for a few days  ( ive had much better luck w cold eggs left in the refirg for a short time )

some sorts of 'sauce '   white sauce ? egg sauce  etc ?  crumbled bacon

hot fresh toast    the now hot potato-egg-sauce mixture over that toast.  crumbled bacon

tons of it for the hunters

what time is it you say  ? 6:30 am ? 5 AM  4 : 30 AM ?

pretty happy hunters as the  ( waddle  :huh: ) out to the 'Blind'

I can see those Ducks just waking up   ( I did have to Labrador retrievers BTW )

checking the sights

and laughing hysterically at the sight of the Hunters That Could Not Move

Quack Quack   ( best I can to for Duck Laughter  )   ducks laugh don't they ?

Ooooh yeah, that sounds good.  Maybe a tomato gravy??? YUM.  

The hunters might have to take a nap in the blind after that meal ;)

(yes, Teal season is going now)

• Like 1

image.jpeg

Chicken wings done with the help of the IP. Delicious. Too stuffed and too tired to give the details right now. Enjoy the view.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

...Do you think you could just pile some eggs in on top of one another?  The recipe said to use cookie cutters or canning bands to keep the eggs separated.  Is that necessary?  

I think the concern is keeping the eggs from hitting each other and cracking during cooking. Though if they're just being steamed on a rack, then I don't know how much of a concern that would be.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I think the concern is keeping the eggs from hitting each other and cracking during cooking. Though if they're just being steamed on a rack, then I don't know how much of a concern that would be.

I am betting you could do a dozen eggs if you did it right. Tomorrow I will see what experiment I can perform if I have enough eggs.

My 2004 eG Blog

There are wire "egg holders" to be found from time to time on ebay and in thrift stores, often unlabeled because people have no idea what they are.

Matfer makes a modern version.

I have two or three somewhere in my junk.

This is not mine but I have one very similar.  I also have one with a taller center spire with a chicken on the top.

Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 5.47.53 PM.png

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 5

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

There are wire "egg holders" to be found from time to time on ebay and in thrift stores, often unlabeled because people have no idea what they are.

Matfer makes a modern version.

I have two or three somewhere in my junk.

This is not mine but I have one very similar.  I also have one with a taller center spire with a chicken on the top.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-09-18 at 5.47.53 PM.png

You are SO creative in your uses of 'mundane' items. I have those exact egg holders I will try those in the instant pot. And thank you for sharing your ideas :)

I made risotto again in the instant pot. This is so so so GOOD. I actually made my chicken on my Ronco Rotisserie which I love BUT I used the drippings to saute the onion, garlic and risotto rice in the Instant pot and the flavour was incredible:12019989_10153045503092703_5864672896664125096_n.jpg

• Like 5

I'm not sure why but since I can't create a post in the 'Welcome our New Members forum" this will be my first post to eGullet. Hope it's OK.

For hard boiled eggs in the Instant Pot I use one double tier steamer like this one:

VlZDlYG.jpg?1

It can hold a dozen without any problem. I don't bother to use cookie cutters or any other thing to keep the eggs in place.

I'll keep reporting on my Instant Pot adventures when time and my english writing skills (spaniard here) allow it. Today I'll try to make ghee with the Slow Cook settings.

Cheers!

./Carlos

re: more eggs :

use the open lid's for the first layer , but i can't see why you can't figure out more layers above those to get a doz in there

• Like 7

Welcome Carlos, I hope you enjoy your time with us. I can't help you with your posting problem, but if you contact one of our hosts (moderaters) they will get the problem fixed right away.

Just out of interest, if you don't mind, the Instant pot is made here in Canada, just wondering what the price was in Spain (US/CDN $) including shipping, import etc. Again, just wondering.

p

Welcome, cta. If my Spanish were nearly as good as your English...

I think you have made a great first post. It will be marvellous to have another contributor to this particular topic but to our forums in general.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog