• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 1)

Anna N

Mmmpomps,

Looks great! So glad you have joined in. How big was that chicken? A whole chicken was on my shopping list but somehow didn't make it into my shopping cart!

I too love the one pot idea. The only issue I have that I'm trying to resolve is finding a landing pad for the lid. Yes I know the pot is designed to hold the lid but I must re-situate mine before that can happen.

Today, all being well, I hope to make a mushroom pate in the IP.

Morning Anna!

I think she was about a 4 or 5 lb chicken...she JUST fit in the pot laying down. I have the smaller Duo.

I would move your pot ASAP...I absolutely love the pot holder, I don't need a spot on the counter for it while I'm prepping.

Can't wait to see how the mushroom pate comes out! Is it the vegetarian 'fois gras' recipes?

Michele

• Like 1

....Served with a little of the failed red current jelly which was the bane of my existence in Manitoulin this past summer. 

One man's failed red currant jelly is another man's successful red currant cheesecake sauce.  :wink:

...I now have so much cooked rice that I am thinking of calling up UNICEF and offering to feed at least half of the 3rd world tomorrow.

Regarding the abundance of cooked rice...rice pudding and fried rice come to mind.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

a couple of things Ive noticed after two uses, both for Bliss potato salad.

unless I see and read otherwise here, Im using " Hip Pressure Cooking"  by Laura Pazzaglia as my as my guide, both for timings, and perhaps Rx's

i done two sets of BP for eventual salad.  Its a 7 minute Rx w a 10 minute 'natural ralease' pp 80 in the book.  this is for 2 lbs of potatoes.

2 lbs got me, yesterday, 'through the night' .   :huh:

I had no problem setting the unit up yesterday, but today I actually had to make an Emergency Call to customer assistance.  I don't mind saying that, and they were

very nice about my question which was in retrospect simple.  I couldn't set the time.

there are a " + " and a " - "  mark in the upper field.  there is no square around them as the other buttons have.   I kept pushing the buttons below those indicators.

you simply press the + or the - as they are actual buttons.  What a dummy.  But Ill say its hot here, and too hot to stack wood it seems.

I got a cheap folding insert at amazon, 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FBCP7O/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3/186-1822427-7487065?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=0JW3XNGQPDZA5FKZPRT0&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1944687642&pf_rd_i=B00004UE8F

and its very flimsy and more or less worthless for pulling stuff out of the Hot Pot.  Cheap is not the same as Frugal.  then I decided to use their insert, putting the steamer thing

on top of that.  their insert has two handles and both in tandem work fine ( enough ).

On the second batch of RedBliss I made a mistake :  the Rx says 7 minutes, then turn off ( or unplug if there is no off button ) for 10 minus, the release the pressure.  

this IP has an off button.  

I forgot, and the current set of potatoes are still going to be fine when cold, but there is a difference.  the first set was much better re texture.  Indeed very creamy but firm.

more a bit later.

Im very happy with the IP so far.   it does get warm on the sides, but not very hot.  its very hot here , and I didn't notice the additional heat added to the kitchen as I might

for sure when I say roast coffee.

very very nice item.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

just to be a bit clearer on the inserts :  Id like to lift out the potatoes and similar items that have been cooked " Pressure - Steam "  i.e. cooked above the water.

this is their insert, in the Pot :

IP insert.jpg

note the loop of metal which is one of the two 'handles'

here is the ElCheapo Amazon insert on top of the IP insert :

IP 2 inserts.jpg

the system is stable enough if you are careful lifting it out.

Ill have to keep my eyes peeled for a sturdier NotSoCheapo insert.  BB&B ?

• Like 1

here is the Face Control area :

Face IP.jpg

note the " + " " - " above the "Pressure" and the " adjust "  those are the bottoms to adjust time, not the highlighted ones below them.

Ill take full responsibility for being stupid.  In my defense, I think they heard my question before . I don't think it was really giggling I heard in the back-ground.

two other similar thoughts :  the top is made of some sort of heavy extruded plastic or nylon.  its black.

instructions are raised in the same color material.  In a not so industrially lighted kitchen they are hard to see :

Open IP.jpg

the lid closed.  you can see it because the camera thought it needed ' Automatic Flash '

on the back , the Vent :

valve IP.jpg

sorry its so blurred .  again AutoFlash.

what Ive done is put a small piece of white tape to the side that's for venting.  

and when you vent, make sure your IP is oriented so the steam doesn't go under your counters.

Ill save my Bliss Potato Salad for one of the other threads that's more about eating what's sur le plate.

one last note:  the machine starts itself after a bit of time automatically.

if you get a bit flustered with your Button Selections and it starts, no worries.  just tap the red " Cancel " button  lower Right.

you can take a Time-Out, or seek some refreshment, or anything else.

it starts again from  " Off " and waits patiently for you to Get a Gripp.

just saying  .  personal experience  .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 6

The most important lesson I learned today which has nothing to do with the I P is that unsalted pasta is quite, quite in edible.

But I am getting a little ahead of myself. It occurred to me that I could kill three birds with one stone this morning. I could make lunch, test out the Fasta pasta theory again and make some mushroom pate in the IP. The recipe for the pate can be found on the hip pressure cooking site and also in the small recipe book that accompanies the IP ( this recipe is cut off and never tells you what to do with the cheese and fails to mention the tablespoon of rum that is added at the end on the recipe site.

image.jpg

Here is the mise. No white wine in the house so dry vermouth instead. I have never before heard of rum in a pate like this and couldn't quite get my head around it. Cognac would've been lovely but none of that either. Calvados won it over the rum idea by miles

One of the recommendations for using the finished pate is to add a little cream to it and use it as a sauce for pasta. Hence my idea that I would cook the pasta in the microwave in my Lekue. This would solve the lunch issue.

image.jpg

The making of the pate went largely without a hitch. I pressure cooked the mixture for 12 minutes and used rapid release. I used my Bamix to do the puréeing. I filled two small bowls with some of the pate before adding cream to the rest to make a sauce for my lunch.

I put some fettuccine and some water into the microwave thingy and set the timer for nine minutes which is what the packet calls for if you were to cook it on the stove. After nine minutes it was still uncooked. I added another five minutes and tried again. Still too, too al dente. It occurred to me that perhaps I did not have enough water in there so I added more and gave it another five minutes. It was still firmer than I like but I was tired of the whole thing. So I served it up with some sauce. ( incidentally I had to strain it with a colander as was there was no way I could reasonably safely handle the boat and turn it upside down.

After a few mouthfuls I realized why it tasted so awful… No salt. Where my mind was I have no idea. But I do notice that the recipes I looked up for this gadget seem to pretend that salt was unnecessary.

So I dumped the first bowl of pasta following my new mantra… If in doubt throw it out that applies to everything not just questionable food… and tried again. Used more water, added salt but it still took 15 minutes to get it even close to the way I like it. Had a few mouthfuls before I remembered the cheesecake in the fridge.

image.jpg

Edited to put the right photo in the right place

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

""   it still took 15 minutes to get it even close to the way ""

​maybe the timing should start when the water boils ?  not trying to be cute here.

Ive got FastaPasta on the high maybe list.

did you like the mushroom Ragu ?

​maybe the timing should start when the water boils ?  not trying to be cute here.

Sorry I did not mean to take this off topic was just that all these things happened at the same time. Let us move this discussion over to the Fasta pasta Topic

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/151858-fasta-pasta/#entry2029132

The mushroom Ragu was quite tasty but I also had to sub the porcinis with some mushrooms from Costco called Forest mushrooms or something similar. I think porcini have that amazing umami which can't be duplicated but other mushrooms. I also thought a little more salt would not have gone amiss and I am not usually one for a lot of salt.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

So while poached eggs fascinated me so did hard-boiled eggs. I am a little short on eggs so not anxious to use them for experiments without knowing they would help towards a meal. Also wanted to try potatoes in the IP. A recipe in Hip Pressure Cooking for potato salad seemed quite doable given what I had on hand.

image.jpg

The eggs are not particularly fresh but they are farm not supermarket eggs. I have no idea how they might have been sized so I weighed each egg. One weighed 61 g and the other 63 g. I found a couple of caps from liquor bottles which served as their perches in the rather substantial steamer basket I found at an Asian store on Monday.

I put a cup of water in the IP, added the steamer basket and the bottle caps and settled the eggs comfortably. I set the pressure to low, the time to five minutes and allowed the pressure to drop by itself before opening the pressure cooker. I lifted the eggs out with a clean towel and put them in an ice bath.

image.jpg

I was a little disappointed in that they did not peel as cleanly as others had promised they would. Nevertheless I've had worse and they were perfectly cooked.

image.jpg

While the eggs were cooking I peeled about 2 pounds potatoes and cut into 1 inch chunks. After I removed the eggs I returned the steamer basket to the IP, added one cup of water and potatoes. They were brought to high-pressure and cooked for seven minutes and then the pressure was allowed to drop off for 10 minutes before I released the rest of the steam by moving the valve. These were Yukon Gold potatoes not Red Bliss and in my opinion were overcooked for potato salad.

image.jpg

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

""  the steamer basket ""

yours looks much nicer than mine

""  in my opinion were overcooked for potato salad. ""

sorry to hear that.  that's what the notebook is for.

Ive got Sweet Potatoes and some nice large fresh beets to study soon

I originally posted that I was able to shelve my old reliable Zoji rice cooker and use the IP to cook rice exactly the way I want it (not pasty or mushy). 

I've found that it's possible to reliably cook Medium and Long grain rice, but I haven't been able to crack the recipe to do Koshihikari rice, it appears to be too delicate to do in the IP (1 cup rice, 3/4 cup water).

My normal Zoji recipe is 1 cup rice and 1 cup water, with full palm massaging of rice with up to 3 rinses.

Mmmpomps

i have a question about that fine looking chicken you IP'd:

was the breast meat 'dry?'  

as ask this in the sense that my understanding of how meat 'cooks', from the SV thread, is that at different temps there are various changes in meats components.

at a certain temp the muscle contracts, squeezing out moisture to the cooking medium.  Fat also melts out leading to possibly a dry feel in the mouth.

Id guess that breast meat might then have a very different taste-mouth feel that dark, which has more intramuscular fat.

I do plan on trying an IP'd Ck at some point, thanks to your posts.

I do Vertical Chicken on the gas grill w GrillGrates   ( 6 or so at a time )   I inhale the wings and pull off the meat when still warm and chill / bag / freeze for later.

in the past the carcasses and tidbits on them got Chucked.  now I can see an easy step w the IP ( stock ) before they leave for good.

Im looking forward to this.

""  the steamer basket ""

yours looks much nicer than mine

""  in my opinion were overcooked for potato salad. ""

sorry to hear that.  that's what the notebook is for.

Ive got Sweet Potatoes and some nice large fresh beets to study soon

I like this new steamer basket much more than my old one. It has no centre post and the legs fold down. It also doesn't seem to open quite as " loosely" as the one that is hiding somewhere in my house.

My 2004 eG Blog

So today it is bread in the IP. Need all of you to keep all your fingers crossed on this one!

The recipe is the Boston bread from the website breadexperience.com. I cut the recipe in half, had no golden raisins so just used California raisins, no medium rye so I used dark rye and no buttermilk so I used yogourt along with the whey that it had shed in the container.

image.jpg

The mise. The small jar on the left contains the raisins soaking in rum..

image.jpg

The batter in a 1 pound coffee can which has been greased and the base lined with parchment paper.

image.jpg

The can covered with foil and secured with a rubber band.

It is now in the pressure cooker and will stay there for 20 minutes at high-pressure. After a slow release it will be put into a 400°F oven for five minutes.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

I thought Id finish my RedBliss Potato Salad here, as i had an observation to make about the potatoes re IP.

PS Rubs.jpg

I make my PS w Penzey's Chicago Steak for the seasoning. You add it to the pre-mixture and let it sit for a few minutes for the salt to dissolve and the

seasonings to re-hydrate.  the CS seasoning is one of the heavy duty work-horses in my kitchen.  if you choose to try it make sure it comes from the

original Penzey's as the clone uses a very different formulation.  its excellent on Steak (  :huh: ) burgers and amazing on Salmon 'pan-roast' and fish.  for the

PS don't use too much, as its powerful.  Same goes for fish.  I had some Sauer's PrimeRib rub and some TJ's SA Smoke seasoning and decided to also try 

them on other batches.  they were excellent .  Im a tiny bit miffed TJ's decided to sell that SA in that idiotic plastic throw-away grinder.  it not only does not work

but screams  " Im such an Idiot for buying this piece of crap. "  But Penzey's is the GrandDaddie for PS in my book. Ive made this many times and 'taken it around'

getting Rave Reviews.  i hope you can get some CS seasoning and try it in your Kitchen

PS mise.jpg

HBEgg  'Frenched' [ Ed.: see below ], pickle ( 1/2 sour ) gr onion from the yogurt container by the window, IP RedBills P's

mise.  note the egg. I hate pealing HB eggs and this one is not as old as my refrigerator standard. But I wanted to take this off the rack :

PS pan.jpg

its been a bit lonely.  Its from France, and makes Superior HB Eggs, as you probably suspect. I use the 10 minute 'steep' after the boil, covered.

if I know Im going to be using HBEggs, Ive steam-cooked at 150 or 160 in the CBS a doz at time, effortless and attendant less.  But, you do have to

have a CSB ready and on stand-by.

PS Bowl.jpg

delicious.  Ive made 4 lbs so far and will work with russets next.

re IP Bliss :  mine turned out fine both with the 10 minute 'natural release' and Off, and w the same 10 MR forgetting to punch the 'Cancel'

I guess I have a natural touch w potatoes.

these potatoes were very creamy.  Nice you say.  Maybe.   I think PS is one of those iconic dishes we are all a little fussy over as we remember them

from growing up. Russet PS is not creamy.

my question is :  were these potatoes creamier than similar potatoes boiled in salted water, when tested with your trusty Potato Tester Instrument ?

I use this one:

PS tester.jpg

Its German, not French.  I was going for precision, and I got with this unit.  Durable too.  Ive had it for 30 years or more.

a slight problem w the IP : you can't use instruments like the one above to see how you your potatoes are doing.  I have to go with the " Natural Touch "

anyway, if the IP potatoes are really creamier than Water-Boiled versions, with the same 'firmness'  could it be that the InternalTemp of the IP

potatoes is somehow a bit higher than Water-Boil ?

I dont SV veg, but 170 or 180 are temps used i recall.

I hope to thermapen a Bills just when I open the lid and at least get that data point.

if I remember.   :huh:

so Potatoes for SP  IP is a big success. For me.

Puff-Puff you say, you don't need an IP to cook potatoes.  True.

but w the IP, in my case, they are back on the menu.  no more StoreBought PS for me.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5

Yup. It can even make bread!

image.jpg

Just out of the IP.

image.jpg

After a five-minute sojourn in the oven.

image.jpg

Cooled and sliced.

image.jpg

And with a schmear of cream cheese… Perfect!

Now can it make marmalade?

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Next Up :

Beets.

I love beets.  I never cook them.  I did some Beets in the BVXL vs the CSB a while ago, that's in the CSB thread.  The CSB's were beet-er so i was quite excited.  the second

batch of CSB Beets were mostly odd fiber and weirdness so i gave up.  Its difficult to find beets that are "cook-able" here in the various markets. during the summer

there are nice looking ones in the farmers market but they are small, and I think sold both for the Beet and the Green.  I don't care for beet greens, and get my Oxalates from

spinach and swiss chard. I may have an oxalate issue but have not bothered to " check the chart " to see.

Market Basket had some nice beets w greens and several bunches had large large beets.

here is the Bottom of the Bunch, trimmed :

Beets 1.jpg

2.6 lbs.  note the red board.  this is a poly=poly board I got from BB&B a long time ago.  Yes with the coupon.  I didn't care for it as you note

the knife marks show up.  but I didn't take it back, I guess so that Years Later, I had a Beet Board.

in the back of " Hip " there are guide-lines for cooking lots and lots of things.

" Beets Cubed "   8 minutes, HP, natural release  ( for the IP ) NR is you turn the IP off and wait.  Im using " steam " meaning the stuff is above the 

water on the Combo-insert-veg.steamer.

I peeled and cubed the beets.  I might never do that again 'raw'   the peeled beets slid around a lot .  I used this WorkHorse of a knife :

Beet Knive.jpg

Granton from Granton England.  razor sharp.  thin Sheffield Steel etc.  Edge-Pro's Note the Red handle.  The beets kept sliding all over the

BeetBoard.  they were not easy to cube.  early on I thought, Well, if you cut off a finger for being stupid, it would have a razor sharp edge to

it which the MicoVascular surgeons would appreciate.  all kidding aside, Ill cook beets whole from now on and peel and dice after the

cooking.  the potential injury is not worth 20 minutes of my time.  And that's W/O M.R.

here are the finished beets :

Beets Cooked.jpg

they are tender and mighty tasty.  Ill wait until they cool to see if they are too tender.  Note that im no award winning Cuber.

Ill stuff as many as I can when cook in a batempte glass pickle jar w the remaining 'brine'  ( 1/2 sour ) and use some up cooled

w a vinaigrette tonight.

Beets are back on the Menu, but Ill IP them whole from now on, if I can find nice big ones.

BTW, FD :  its important to not forget to add the water then the strainer.  I say that because I added the strainer system to the IP before I

'cubed' the beets to make room on the cutting board as I did them one as at a time. but I caught that every very early.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

Wow AnnaN

fantastic.  of course I don't have a 1 pound coffee can.  I love Boston Brown Bread.

being near BOS, Ive only had the real deal at a restaurant called Durgin Park a long time ago.  Roast Beef, prime the real deal, 

communal tables is you wanted to eat before you starved, and real indian pudding for desert.

I like to make that bread.  however, my electric oven had yet to be repaired   ( part at amazon  : 14.95, local 'craftsman' to come to my home and fix it : $ 180 . and that was a few years ago )

if I should fined a suitable BB container  ( I'll ask you to sleep on this )  might I do the oven bit  " on its side "  in the BVXL ?

I could always Gas Up the Weber .

nest would be  BB, Boston baked Beans  and Franks.   a classic saturday BOS dinner.

thank you for providing us  i.e. me with such insight.

PS  I guess i could just buy a 1 lbs can of coffee and dump the coffee.  

:huh:

now that you don't have to think about that, any ideas on Indian Pudding ?

its not that easy to make, as improperly made its  " a bit gummy "   IP might be just the ticket

but Id guess the Rx might be difficult to find and its very regional.

some be cause of the molasses  ( black -strap ) and potential gummy-ness.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Next Up :

Beets.

I love beets.  I never cook them.  I did some Beets in the BVXL vs the CSB a while ago, that's in the CSB thread.  The CSB's were beet-er so i was quite excited.  the second

batch of CSB Beets were mostly odd fiber and weirdness so i gave up.  Its difficult to find beets that are "cook-able" here in the various markets. during the summer

there are nice looking ones in the farmers market but they are small, and I think sold both for the Beet and the Green.  I don't care for beet greens, and get my Oxalates from

spinach and swiss chard. I may have an oxalate issue but have not bothered to " check the chart " to see.

Market Basket had some nice beets w greens and several bunches had large large beets.

here is the Bottom of the Bunch, trimmed :

attachicon.gifBeets 1.jpg

2.6 lbs.  note the red board.  this is a poly=poly board I got from BB&B a long time ago.  Yes with the coupon.  I didn't care for it as you note

the knife marks show up.  but I didn't take it back, I guess so that Years Later, I had a Beet Board.

in the back of " Hip " there are guide-lines for cooking lots and lots of things.

" Beets Cubed "   8 minutes, HP, natural release  ( for the IP ) NR is you turn the IP off and wait.  Im using " steam " meaning the stuff is above the 

water on the Combo-insert-veg.steamer.

I peeled and cubed the beets.  I might never do that again 'raw'   the peeled beets slid around a lot .  I used this WorkHorse of a knife :

attachicon.gifBeet Knive.jpg

Granton from Granton England.  razor sharp.  thin Sheffield Steel etc.  Edge-Pro's Note the Red handle.  The beets kept sliding all over the

BeetBoard.  they were not easy to cube.  early on I thought, Well, if you cut off a finger for being stupid, it would have a razor sharp edge to

it which the MicoVascular surgeons would appreciate.  all kidding aside, Ill cook beets whole from now on and peel and dice after the

cooking.  the potential injury is not worth 20 minutes of my time.  And that's W/O M.R.

here are the finished beets :

attachicon.gifBeets Cooked.jpg

they are tender and mighty tasty.  Ill wait until they cool to see if they are too tender.  Note that im no award winning Cuber.

Ill stuff as many as I can when cook in a batempte glass pickle jar w the remaining 'brine'  ( 1/2 sour ) and use some up cooled

w a vinaigrette tonight.

Beets are back on the Menu, but Ill IP them whole from now on, if I can find nice big ones.

BTW, FD :  its important to not forget to add the water then the strainer.  I say that because I added the strainer system to the IP before I

'cubed' the beets to make room on the cutting board as I did them one as at a time. but I caught that every very early.

Beets here are very much hit and miss and there is no telling from what I know to make a judgement before you buy them. However I must admit it has never occurred to me to cut them up before I cooked them! I chose to do something today with the food processor rather then the mandolin to ensure the longevity of all my fingers so I know where you are coming from. I love beets and will be attempting them in the IP very soon. I would have beat you to it (pun quite unintended) but the beets I was supposed to cook went home with Kerry Beal instead of being left at my house.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I took what turned out to be the majority of my 2.8 lbs of cubed beets and added them to a Ba-Tampte  " tasty " beet 'jus'

I ate all the 1/2 sour pickles but have always regreated tossing the 'jus'

here they are and back in the refirg.

Ba-Tampte.jpg

I have high expectations for this.  Ill give them an Topsy-Turvey from time to time to get the Bottom goodness

mixed around.

Ill try 7 min for the next batch if I chose to continue living in the DangerZone of dicing raw Beets.

I do not recommend cutting raw beets yourself.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

Wow AnnaN

fantastic. of course I don't have a 1 pound coffee can. I love Boston Brown Bread.

being near BOS, Ive only had the real deal at a restaurant called Durgin Park a long time ago. Roast Beef, prime the real deal,

communal tables is you wanted to eat before you starved, and real indian pudding for desert.

I like to make that bread. however, my electric oven had yet to be repaired ( part at amazon : 14.95, local 'craftsman' to come to my home and fix it : $ 180 . and that was a few years ago )

if I should fined a suitable BB container ( I'll ask you to sleep on this ) might I do the oven bit " on its side " in the BVXL ?

I could always Gas Up the Weber .

nest would be BB, Boston baked Beans and Franks. a classic saturday BOS dinner.

thank you for providing us i.e. me with such insight.

PS I guess i could just buy a 1 lbs can of coffee and dump the coffee.

:huh:

now that you don't have to think about that, any ideas on Indian Pudding ?

its not that easy to make, as improperly made its " a bit gummy " IP might be just the ticket

but Id guess the Rx might be difficult to find and its very regional.

some be cause of the molasses ( black -strap ) and potential gummy-ness.

If you remember during our last Manitoulin adventure I did buy a 1 pound can of coffee and dumped the coffee because I made a loaf of steamed bread up there. I was smart enough to bring the coffee can home with me. If I knew then what I know now I would prepare the can a little differently. Instead of taking off the rim I would leave it in place take the bottom off with a Can Opener, Push the bottom through and rest it agaist that rim and it now becomes very helpful to push out a loaf of bread when it is cooked. I will try to give you a link to the photographs in the Manitoulin thread later on . I don't like baked beans and I'm not familiar with Indian pudding.

I am enjoying this bread but doubt it can qualify as the stuff I knew as Boston Brown.

Edited to add

I did bake it on its side in the BV XL Because it's too damned hot here to turn on the big oven.

Edited to add link

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/151520-manitoulin-if-i-can-make-it-there…/page-18#entry2024740

Leave that rim on and take the bottom out with the can opener and push it through so it rests on the rim.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

nice,  excellent thinking as usual.

Ill look for a 1 lb can of coffee  ? ground did you buy ? Yucky whole beans ?

Im not being cheeky, I just don't know what Inner Can linings are these days.

thank you again for the time you spend giving Us  ( i.e. Me ) such insight.

Id suggest , look for large beets with tops, decently priced

and cut the minimal top and bottom off and IP whole.

Im using " pressure - steam "  i.e. the stuff is above the water

but if you don't peel the beets and can even leave a little top and all the bottom on 

"the jacket'  

do them whole.  it takes 20 + minutes more.  In the Water so to speak.

plenty of time for a Google, or an eG post.

but my sister assures me they are a snap to deal with after cooking.

she takes the beets cooke, and soaks them in cold water.

she does not have an IP  yet 

that's conventional boil-a-beet thinking

leaving the 'jacket' on would keep some of the Beet Goodness In the Beet.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

well IP sales are going to take off.  as I understand it, its a Canadian Company, eh ?

our members North of the Border probably bump into all of the Folks there frequently

Im not complaining, but I sure would enjoy a sturdy perforated optional SS insert w a nice SS handle

for Steam-Pressure

what I have works, fine enough  

but mention this to the IP folks next time you bump into them

the insert iconed in "Hip" and i think is available on the very high end stove top models

I know it won't be cheap.  but properly made  worth it.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

I'm loving these tests and detailed notes. That potato salad looks like just the ticket! Thanks for the Penzeys spice mix recommendation, rotuts, as well as the TJ's South African Smoke spice anti-recommendation.

Anna N, that brown bread looks well worth trying. I wish I were brilliant enough to have thought of your coffee can treatment on my own. Since I'm not, I'm very pleased to take the idea and run with it!

rotuts, Don't Cut Raw Beets By Hand...at least, not without armored gloves. The microsurgeons may adore your choice of weapon, but they will not admire your judgment.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown