• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 1)

Anna N

I made short ribs tonight also, Mmmpomps. And while I normally don't mind doing the long braise in a basic pot on the stove or in the oven, I have to say that tonight I found it annoying, messy and slow (did a stovetop braise, almost 3 hours). The end result was lovely but it made me think that another method might be better. So I am definitely interested in what you folks are doing. 

I have never used a pressure cooker, slow cooker or rice cooker. And i have never made yogurt. I think I make pretty good rice in the Cuisinart Steam Oven, though I am definitely OK with making it on the stove top.

I wonder about using the Instant Pot for making yogurt, steaming artichokes ( a big fave of mine), doing the Kalua Pork that Laura talks about in the IP cookbook or on NomNomPaleo. Also the Ligurian Chicken and Not-Refried-Beans from the IP cookbook. And how well does it function as a slow-cooker?

And I keep wondering if there is anything intrinsically better about using the IP or similar to cook some things or if it is just a time savings? Not that I don't value time-saving! 

• Like 1

I made short ribs tonight also, Mmmpomps. And while I normally don't mind doing the long braise in a basic pot on the stove or in the oven, I have to say that tonight I found it annoying, messy and slow (did a stovetop braise, almost 3 hours). The end result was lovely but it made me think that another method might be better. So I am definitely interested in what you folks are doing.

I have never used a pressure cooker, slow cooker or rice cooker. And i have never made yogurt. I think I make pretty good rice in the Cuisinart Steam Oven, though I am definitely OK with making it on the stove top.

I wonder about using the Instant Pot for making yogurt, steaming artichokes ( a big fave of mine), doing the Kalua Pork that Laura talks about in the IP cookbook or on NomNomPaleo. Also the Ligurian Chicken and Not-Refried-Beans from the IP cookbook. And how well does it function as a slow-cooker?

And I keep wondering if there is anything intrinsically better about using the IP or similar to cook some things or if it is just a time savings? Not that I don't value time-saving!

Speed for certain, energy saving and some would argue nutrition retention. I throw in there convenience. It truly is set it and forget it.

I have every intention of attempting to make yogurt although it will not become a routine seeing as I don't use sufficient yogurt to justify that. I am artichoke-challenged having never cooked them in anyway before but certainly willing to give it a shot. Pulled pork has never appealed to me in the least but even that I will try. Ligurian chicken for sure when I can get hold of fresh herbs. Beans and other pulses I will leave to others. I am not that altruistic!

Edited to add:

If you are using an ordinary gas or electric stove then your kitchen will surely stay much cooler using an electric pressure cooker.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Melissa,

I am absolutely spoiled in then I have an induction range and a 6 quart Kuhn Rikon Duromatic stovetop pressure cooker. They contribute little heat to my kitchen. The IP certainly gets hot but really it wouldn't normally be operating for much more than an hour under normal circumstances. I really haven't done any kind of comparison to give you a more objective answer. As of the present moment I can say that the IP impresses me enough that I would be unlikely to use the stovetop unless I really needed that 15 psi. It is so nice to set it and forget it.

I actually do have an induction burner, which I could use with my 6 qt Fagor stovetop pressure cooker. But most of the time, I just use my gas burners.

We're back into hot and sticky mode for a few days. I think anything that gets cooked for the rest of the week will be cooked on the grill. I can't imagine eating short ribs right now.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

FauxPas I like to do a slow braise to get that richness and I got that in the Instant pot in a total of 45 minutes. I found you have to use less liquid to get a braise, if you add too much liquid the meat stews and loses a bit of the flavour. If you have never used the three appliances this would be a great tool for you. I still have in my kitchen my crock pot and my rice steamer. This is my first time doing pressure cooking and right now I can't get enough of it. 

Its fast . clean up is super easy, the stainless steel pot is sexy :) The saute feature is excellent. I was surprised how hot it got! 

I haven't used it as a crock pot yet but I imagine it will be very good for that. I've made beans, came out very good and no explosions! I made a pot of soup in 35 minutes that came out rich and flavourful. I even made a meatloaf, the texture was very 'diner' style. Aesthetically she wasn't very pleasing until I popped her under the broiler for a few minutes:11895130_10153008176722703_6501929274985108387_o.jpg

While the meat loaf was broiling and crisping the bacon on top I made gravy and I roasted some baby potatoes that took 15 or 20 minutes:11950154_10153008176717703_7733295910265098645_o.jpg

Anna I'm going to be playing with beans a lot more. I plan on chick peas soon for hummus. My Halal Grocery store has beans and pulses I don' even recognize...I see many experiments :)

Edited to explain the IP Potatoes a bit better: Saute Mode with duck fat and garlic, brown the potatoes for ten minutes then pierce the spud so the skins stay intact. Add 1/3 ish cup of stock, fresh rosemary and salt. Switch to pressure mode for ten minutes and creamy roasted spuds :)

Edited by Mmmpomps (log)
  • Like 3

I note that hummingbird kiss, FeChef and Deryn all own an Instant Pot. I bet there are others. I have been looking at them for some time but suspect that they would not be all that useful in a solo household. But I would love to hear from those who do own one what model they have and what they think about them.

What sort of things do you cook in them? Do you use them mostly for stocks? Is it primarily the pressure cooker function that matters to you? Curious minds would love to know.

See what you started -Good on 'u!!

p

Mmmpomps,

Glad there is someone else willing to play with those horrible beanie things! Your potatoes look amazing. I am anxious to give them a go and have made notes of your technique.

I have a rather ambitious day planned so you know immediately that some things will fall off that plan! I have taken out the cream cheese and the eggs to attempt the cheesecake from the pressurecookingtoday.com website. However, I am challenged in that my smallest springform is only five and three-quarter inches in diameter! Any of my larger spring forms are too large. Math is not my strong suit but somehow I am going to have to reduce the recipe based on the volume of the smaller pan.

I also want to try to make an Indian chicken curry by adapting my own recipe.

Doesn't sound that ambitious but my noncooking chores constitute a list could fill three notebooks!

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Mmmpomps

"  I like to do a slow braise to get that richness and I got that in the Instant pot in a total of 45 minutes ""

Id like to hear more about this if you get the chance.  was it 45 min 'Under Pressure?"

i take it the soup @ 35 minutes was 'slow-cooker ' mode ?  how about that meatloaf ?

the potatoes do look delicious.  did you use 'instant release'   after the 10 minutes ?

this thread is very enlightening.  

I have deep respect for the PC crowd that uses the various models on the stove top or induction plate.

Im a bit more "On-Off" for this sort of things, and readily admit the fault is all mine.

My IP is "On the Truck" as I Type.

:biggrin: 

• Like 2

Oh wow! rotuts You pulled the trigger and ordered one. Now we can all wait with bated breath for your experiments!

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Mmmpomps

"  I like to do a slow braise to get that richness and I got that in the Instant pot in a total of 45 minutes ""

Id like to hear more about this if you get the chance.  was it 45 min 'Under Pressure?"

i take it the soup @ 35 minutes was 'slow-cooker ' mode ?  how about that meatloaf ?

the potatoes do look delicious.  did you use 'instant release'   after the 10 minutes ?

I have deep respect for the PC crowd that uses the various models on the stove top or induction plate.

Im a bit more "On-Off" for this sort of things, and readily admit the fault is all mine.

Ohh, I should absolutely not be reading this topic. (Peers over the brink)

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Ohh, I should absolutely not be reading this topic. (Peers over the brink)

I just fell over and down the IP hole. :laugh:  I see Rotuts beat me by a day or so  :raz:

The ribs did it.  

IP-60 is ordered and will soon be here.  I think 2 days.  

Come on, Smithy, join us all on the IP side  :biggrin:

• Like 4

I just fell over and down the IP hole. :laugh:  I see Rotuts beat me by a day or so  :raz:

The ribs did it.  

IP-60 is ordered and will soon be here.  I think 2 days.  

Come on, Smithy, join us all on the IP side  :biggrin:

You will find it perfect for some of that game your husband hunts for you. Perhaps eG should get a commission!

So my most ambitious test so far. This from somebody who probably has not made a cheesecake in 30 perhaps 40 years.

I gave you the site where I found the recipe and apart from adjusting the quantities I did not deviate. Even the cooking time of 15 minutes I kept despite the smallest size of my pan.

image.jpg

For this recipe I was grateful that I had to do a proper Mise en place to show you else I am sure I would have messed something up. You can also see the foil sling. I did not bother taking a photograph of the crumb crust and at this point it was chilling in the freezer.

image.jpg

Fully assembled and on the foil sling ready to be placed into the IP into which I had already put the trivet and 2 cups of water.

image.jpg

The finished cheesecake still in the IP. It's hard to see but there is some water on the top which the recipe does warn about. I wicked it up with some paper towel.

image.jpg

And the cheesecake cooling on the rack ready to go into the refrigerator for I believe four hours. The recipe also warned not to expect a smooth top. We will all have to wait for hours now to see the result.

Turned out to be much easier than I expected. The hardest part was finding room in the freezer for the tiny pan with its crust!

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

Nice.  Very Nice.

Im a bit bereft that UPS has me on the end of their Route.

well ,  it not so much the 'Ants in the Pants' syndrome.

its more of a "Dryness in the Throat" problem.

BTW :

vanill.jpg

nice.  I use this extensively in the Betty's assisted Brownies I bake for my  Friends at the local Library.

an Over-Pour  ( 1/4 cup ) of local  " Don Roberto " lowest shelf Rhum

does not hurt either.

just saying.

• Like 2

Mmmpomps,

Glad there is someone else willing to play with those horrible beanie things! Your potatoes look amazing. I am anxious to give them a go and have made notes of your technique.

I have a rather ambitious day planned so you know immediately that some things will fall off that plan! I have taken out the cream cheese and the eggs to attempt the cheesecake from the pressurecookingtoday.com website. However, I am challenged in that my smallest springform is only five and three-quarter inches in diameter! Any of my larger spring forms are too large. Math is not my strong suit but somehow I am going to have to reduce the recipe based on the volume of the smaller pan.

I also want to try to make an Indian chicken curry by adapting my own recipe.

Doesn't sound that ambitious but my noncooking chores constitute a list could fill three notebooks!

Your cheesecake looks great! I can't wait to hear how that turns out! I made a very good soup with beans and shortribs, beans precooked super easy. I am very happy with the results:11954629_10153012125807703_3654604530013760882_n.jpg11942188_10153012104107703_8861112758464913178_o.jpg

Edited by Mmmpomps (log)
  • Like 3

Mmmpomps

Hi Rotus!

The shortribs were 35 minutes under pressure, 10 minute wait then a release. I use a tea over my hand as that steam is HOT!

Soup was also 35 minutes under pressure. Meat mode to be exact, wait 10 minutes and it was good to go. I started with raw short ribs and added everything else and was very pleased with the end result.

• Like 1

Nice.  Very Nice.

Im a bit bereft that UPS has me on the end of their Route.

well ,  it not so much the 'Ants in the Pants' syndrome.

its more of a "Dryness in the Throat" problem.

BTW :

attachicon.gifvanill.jpg

nice.  I use this extensively in the Betty's assisted Brownies I bake for my  Friends at the local Library.

an Over-Pour  ( 1/4 cup ) of local  " Don Roberto " lowest shelf Rhum

does not hurt either.

just saying.

I believe I was introduced to this by Kerry Beal who was introduced to it by you.

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Jasmine rice. Take 2.

Well this strikes me as perfectly acceptable jasmine rice. It's neither mushy nor hard. Most grains are separate but can be compacted if you push them together.

Here is what I did.

I had only a little rice left. It amounted to 160 mL in the rice cup that comes with the IP. I rinsed it for a full minute in a sieve under running water using my fingers to agitate the rice gently. I drained the rice as thoroughly as I could and put it into the IP with 200 mL of water. That is a ratio of one part rice to 1.25 of water. I set the IP to manual for a time of 1 (one) minute high pressure. I let the pressure go down slowly for 10 minutes and then moved the valve to the steam release position but there was no further discharge of steam.

These are the instructions I found in Laura Pazzaglia's Hip Pressure Cooking Book. I did a fair bit of looking around on the web and was amazed the range of times offered. I had some doubt that one minute would do the trick but I should have had more confidence in Laura.

I will try it tonight thanks Anna but it almost sounds like i Have to "be at the pot " then huh? maybe I should stick with what I know ..but I  am going to try a pot of it tonight and see if it works for me ..I looked once online and saw the same thing you did and just stopped looking because it was so overwhelming …everyone has a method and I thought I could just push a button and move on. 

thanks again it was kind of you 

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Well  my IP is here :

Box.jpg

I have other issues :

Wood.jpg

this takes me a bit of time to stack  Not the end of the World.  Ill delay that for a few days and there is no rain 

expected in my Area.

I did make bliss potatoes for Salad

and Ill give you my take tomorrow.

Im using "Hip" as my times and standard unless

I see something Anna N has already done.

just to new clear :  get a note-book

and trust  Anna N as a brilliant starting  point.

why ?

well there is a History of Calamari   , which the Lunch Ladies sometimes enjoy ..................

but there is the Old  Danish Import House on Bloor

right nest to the Windsor Arms.  open faced sandwiches on Bloor

and the Once a Month the  Downstairs  Ultimate Delicious-ness

BTW  Im just posting this so Shelby  

just understands.

more tomorrow.

but   its not just So Far So Good  ...;

its more WoW

• Like 3

Well the Indian chicken dish that I attempted failed miserably. There were so many things that were wrong with it but none I think related to the IP. No point really in documenting how not to do something that was really unrelated to the experiments.

However, dessert made up for it!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Served with a little of the failed red current jelly which was the bane of my existence in Manitoulin this past summer. I would make this again in a heartbeat. I would up the lemon zest and perhaps the lemon juice for flavour reasons. Perhaps if served with lemon curd as suggested this would not be necessary. I will be looking at her other recipes for cheesecake with a view to trying those also.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

""  I gave you the site where I found the recipe ""

sorry.  I give up and can't seem to scroll back to find it.

I also have not made a CCake in a long while.

i think ( Little ) Current jelly looks fine.

Id like to make this.  Im thinking Lime.

Im very pleased to be " behind " so that you can Forge Ahead  for

many of us.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

Well, I am sorry not to have been back with my results for the calrose rice earlier but I ran out of rice and had to drive 150 miles round trip to get some more. I also didn't take pictures (I don't have an iPhone - sorry) but I think this is more about texture and taste and neither of those show up well in pictures I find.

I am no rice expert as I have said before, but, I thought all results were edible. I now have so much cooked rice that I am thinking of calling up UNICEF and offering to feed at least half of the 3rd world tomorrow.

1) Last night, I did a Jasmine rice 'control' run - 1 cup jasmine rice, washed for a minute or so, soaked for 1/2 hour, 1.5 cups water, a pinch of salt and cooked on low pressure for 10 minutes, slow release for 10 minutes (then I opened the vent but there wasn't much steam left). Results: nicely sticky and middling soft, all grains visible. A bit 'stuck' to the bottom. I just added some water and boiled it till it came unstuck. I guess I could have boiled a bit longer and had congee.

2) This morning, I did exactly the same with Calrose. Results: Though this is calrose and therefore definitely will be stickier/starchier than the jasmine, I felt it was also fine. It was sticky but not what I would call paste. I could still see all the grains fine but they don't fall apart. Not too soft but soft enough - no hard bits in the middle.

3) Next, I cooked calrose the same way as I think Anna did her jasmine (brief wash, no soak, 1 minute high pressure, 10 minutes slow release) and got about the same result as #2 above, except I had a bit of water left (perhaps a tablespoon or so - not sure why but maybe my table isn't quite level so it pooled on one side) when I opened the lid so I just stirred that into the rice and let it sit a minute before I tasted it. I am thinking 1 minute high equals approximately 10 minutes low pressure.

4) I will be back tomorrow morning with the 'steamed' rice experiment results. That was the point at which I didn't have quite enough rice and after the drive I am tired so I think I will do it tomorrow. Sorry - but stay tuned.

5) Haven't tried calrose by washing and soaking and then using the rice setting alone - but I suspect that would end up pastier than any of the above methods. If I am in the mood for more rice, I will try that too tomorrow morning.

PS - Your cheesecake looks divine, Anna. I loved the one I made too .. didn't really use a recipe though (my worst habit) but it came out well too. Too bad - makes it too easy to make cheesecake - and I love the stuff.

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 3

1.  That cheesecake looks so dang good.  I wish I had a slice sitting here.

2.  Deryn, I'd say you went above and beyond in your testing.  Thank you for doing that and documenting your results.

• Like 1

""  I gave you the site where I found the recipe ""

sorry.  I give up and can't seem to scroll back to find it.

I also have not made a CCake in a long while.

i think ( Little ) Current jelly looks fine.

Id like to make this.  Im thinking Lime.

Im very pleased to be " behind " so that you can Forge Ahead  for

many of us.

Pressurecookingtoday.com

My 2004 eG Blog

Instant Pot success again! Whole chicken, browned well on both sides with the saute function. Used Paprika to ensure I didn't end up with an anemic boiled looking canned chicken! 11891401_10153013833022703_1604589320418279737_o.jpg25 minutes on Chicken Mode. Meat was falling apart. 11233169_10153013898982703_9165946642730783919_o.jpgRested the chicken and had dreams of Instant Pot being able to make my beloved roasted cauliflower!. Sauteed Cauli...then Manual High Pressure for one minute. It came out good and flavourful but no where near the goodness that is roasted cauliflower with crispy bits.11895289_10153013919862703_5840515346972762386_o.jpg

After dinner I picked all the meat off the bones, which came out as a nice roasted, juicy chicken. I put the bones and fat into the Instant Pot added my stock ingredients and shes cooking away now. 1500859_10153013935162703_4423503190863719481_o.jpg

I like that I can't make a huge mess with this cooking tool...all the food I'm preparing is done in one pot! I'm really enjoying the experimenting. 

• Like 7

Mmmpomps,

Looks great! So glad you have joined in. How big was that chicken? A whole chicken was on my shopping list but somehow didn't make it into my shopping cart!

I too love the one pot idea. The only issue I have that I'm trying to resolve is finding a landing pad for the lid. Yes I know the pot is designed to hold the lid but I must re-situate mine before that can happen.

Today, all being well, I hope to make a mushroom pate in the IP.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Well I am back with the steamed rice test. The way I did it was, in short, NOT a good idea but I thought I should report it anyway so you don't get quite so creative.

First, I looked for my metal steamer basket thingie and could not find it so I had to use a bowl - mistake #1. I really think it would have worked out much better if the steam could have gone right through the rice rather than just 'surround it', primarly on top. At any rate, I washed the rice and I soaked it for over an hour (which may or may not have been mistake #2).

Mistake #3. I first thought I would use the steam function but after a couple of minutes I began to worry because steam was escaping constantly (which may be the way it is supposed to be with the steam function - makes sense - but instructions/troubleshooting chart in the manual say there might be an issue if you let it steam more than 2 minutes so I was not sure - the instructions could indeed be more explicit). I am also pretty sure that the container I used was not ideal for that setting.

Many more mistakes - all for science, of course! Since I was pretty sure that 2 minutes of steam was not going to actually cook the rice, I decided, leaving the rice in the bowl above about 2 cups of water under the trivet, to use the low pressure rice setting instead. After 10 minutes of that and 10 minutes slow release I checked it and it was definitely NOT gluey - all grains were quite separate (and appeared to have shrunk to more resemble the 'slimmer' jasmine shape) but it wasn't soft so I put it on another cycle (exactly like the last). Don't bother - this was a failure unless you like your rice 'crispy'. I got the same results actually in the microwave for 10 minutes (with 2water to 1rice ratio).

I also need to qualify my #3 test in my previous post. I just tasted the top of that batch which was 'ok'. But when I scraped the rest out of the pot so I could wash it for the next test, I think I see what hummingbirdkiss was talking about - the bottom was pasty.

All in all, all this experimenting has led me to 2 conclusions - take them with a grain of 'rice'. 1) the best method for calrose may be my #2 - it was definitely sticky but not pasty even at the bottom. 2) The worst method is steaming in a bowl, at least the way I did it (and probably the pasty bottom of the #3 version too - maybe less water or a shorter release time might have helped with that one).

The problem with using just the rice setting for calrose vs jasmine is probably the starchiness of the calrose itself. Maybe to combat that it should be cooked with much more water which can then be poured off. Or the other idea I have not tried yet is to coat the grains with a teaspoon of oil first - would that help to contain the starch a little without making the rice greasy?

I didn't as I said, try what I think is the proper steaming method either - where the heck that steamer went I do not know. :( I could try more experiments using the soaking times - none, 1/2 hour, 1 hour, 4 hours but not for a few days.

Anyway, I am not sure all of this really helped - except maybe to tell you all what didn't work. I usually use calrose only for risotto and had not tried cooking that in the IP before so this was very interesting to try - but, I am not totally sure that the IP is the best way to cook plain calrose rice either.

PS - So glad you are getting on board the IP train, Shelby! :)

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 3