• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 1)

Anna N

KitchenQueen

Im very interested in what you've done here. May I ask for a bit more info ?

you sautéed the Ck in the pot itself ? for color ?

you then added some veg, then did the PC for 15 min at pressure  ( max for the item ?)

then did a release saw that more liquid was needed, added that then dry noodles ? or softer i.e. refrigerated ones ?

did a brief simmer.  were you done then or did you seal up and do more PC

sorry I am not trying to picky, but would like to see exactly what you did

im keen on this over my favor as it might be less fiddle for me as im still a bit uneasy on the traditional Pc

and i do know that's just me.

I do respect the many here that just do traditional PC with few worries and expertise.

Sauté things in the PC on the "BROWN" setting just as you would do on the stovetop. 

I do bacon or other fat first, then add the aromatics, cook them to the degree I want - add mushrooms or other ingredients, then the meat or chicken (did rabbit a couple of days ago and that always needs browning) - also beans, vegetables that need long cooking, etc.

Then I push RESET, add whatever liquid is needed, place the lid on, close the valve and set the  pressure and then the time.

Push START  and walk away.

(For a dish with tomatoes, which I do not want to break down completely, I add them after the pressure cooking and the pressure has dropped.  If it is a significant amount, compared to the whole, I leave the valve open and set the unit to SIMMER for 10 - 15 minutes which is plenty of time.)

It signals when it reaches the point where the valve closes and steam begins to build up, that is a shorter or longer time depending on how hot the pan was when the unit was closed and the pressure and time set.

If already hot, it takes much less time. 

On mine you can't miss it, the beep is loud and lasts 15 seconds.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have the Duo-60 and love it. I purchased this book http://www.amazon.com/Great-Big-Pressure-Cooker-Book/dp/0804185328/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1440340595&sr=1-1&keywords=the+great+big+pressure+cooker+book

back in January and found that I use my pressure cooker much more. There is a difference in cooking time for electric vs. stove top but this book gives the times. I have made many of the recipes in this book with much success. I also make a one pot mac & cheese that always gets raves.

• Like 2

Anne Napolitano

Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal

Put my order in. This has been on my radar for about a year. I'll post after amazon gets it to me.

I have always had a good healthy fear of pressure cookers, not rational, apple sauce horror story my Mom liked to tell of a friend of a friend of a friend, that it happened to ;) Poor thing's face was scarred for life...or so the story goes :)

Anxious to hear if it arrived and how you are making out with it.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have not read anyone else's posts but will…so I apologize for redundancy here or anything that may have changed since your OP  …and I have to run so let me comment if it will help Anna?  I can honestly say i think it is ideal for small use needs ! absolutely! Especially with food preservation I can cook down apple butter or whatever it in and can it in the same tiny space it takes ..so easy to do and it holds enough for a small batch of apple butter or jam for sure  …it has helped me scale down my cooking "size" to two people instead of the huge cooking I was doing i .. because of the limited size of the pot ….I like it a lot and would give it to any college student I know as a fledgling gift for sure. it browns nicely so making things like soups or stews  in it really is "one pot" it is easy to clean everything goes right in the dishwasher and if something is stubborn i used the steam feature..very cool ..I am "down" a kitchen currently so I use it every day for anything from a pot of congee to as i said making jam or whatever to put in jars . ..I admit I have very few appliances and can not compare it to anything else fairly …but I had a pressure cooker explode on me and no joke I am done with those indoors (except the instant pot ) I do all my pressure cooking/canning outside now ..I do not care how "safe" they are ..never again …this pressure cooks enough for me and is NOT scary at all .….I do not even have a rice cooker I use a pot . no slow cooker or toaster or toaster oven nothing extra just the basics .. because they all make me nuts and take up too much space…and right now because I have no counters LOL I have nothing! but the instant pot, hot plate  and an oven that cooks at 350F only (new oven pending construction)  …it is magical to me to have a thing that does so many things and it s clean neat and fun to cook with .really it is quite fun!  it sings when it is done! ….hope it helps I think it was worth every penny..is great for small cooking .. the only thing it can not do really is deep fry ..after a few months I am thrilled with it .. but as I said I do not buy appliances unless I really really need them and this I did not know how cool it was and really needed it . 

• Like 5
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I have not read anyone else's posts but will…so I apologize for redundancy here or anything that may have changed since your OP  …and I have to run so let me comment if it will help Anna?  I can honestly say i think it is ideal for small use needs ! absolutely! Especially with food preservation I can cook down apple butter or whatever it in and can it in the same tiny space it takes ..so easy to do and it holds enough for a small batch of apple butter or jam for sure  …it has helped me scale down my cooking "size" to two people instead of the huge cooking I was doing i .. because of the limited size of the pot ….I like it a lot and would give it to any college student I know as a fledgling gift for sure. it browns nicely so making things like soups or stews  in it really is "one pot" it is easy to clean everything goes right in the dishwasher and if something is stubborn i used the steam feature..very cool ..I am "down" a kitchen currently so I use it every day for anything from a pot of congee to as i said making jam or whatever to put in jars . ..I admit I have very few appliances and can not compare it to anything else fairly …but I had a pressure cooker explode on me and no joke I am done with those indoors (except the instant pot ) I do all my pressure cooking/canning outside now ..I do not care how "safe" they are ..never again …this pressure cooks enough for me and is NOT scary at all .….I do not even have a rice cooker I use a pot . no slow cooker or toaster or toaster oven nothing extra just the basics .. because they all make me nuts and take up too much space…and right now because I have no counters LOL I have nothing! but the instant pot, hot plate  and an oven that cooks at 350F only (new oven pending construction)  …it is magical to me to have a thing that does so many things and it s clean neat and fun to cook with .really it is quite fun!  it sings when it is done! ….hope it helps I think it was worth every penny..is great for small cooking .. the only thing it can not do really is deep fry ..after a few months I am thrilled with it .. but as I said I do not buy appliances unless I really really need them and this I did not know how cool it was and really needed it .

Thank you so very much. You seem to have really put it through its paces.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I also appreciate the detailed reviews.  Weather has not permuted me to try out my Fagor on the induction plate, but the Outlook is improving .

re: the I.P.:  test kitchen suggested its small.  my question relates to the size of both the 6 qt Fagor and the 6 qt IP:

Ive gotten one of those S.S. veg steamer inserts for initial use in the Fagor for potatoes, both white and sweet :

I plan to try to make red-bliss ( cut up ) for potato salad, and eventually russets for mashed potatoes.  same for sweet.

I plan to use the insert to keep the potatoes above the boiling water, and pressure steam.  Im guessing less water soluble flavor would be lost to the

water, as potato soup is not what im after.

re IP :  how deep is the SS pot in the cooker, and how close to the top of the pot are you allowed to add food if your goal is water boiling under the insert ?

this is the insert I have :

http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-175-Stainless-Vegetable-Steamer/dp/B001FBCP7O/ref=sr_1_6/178-9774783-6598011?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1440687905&sr=1-6&keywords=insert+steamer

its 'feet' are more or less 3/4 "  the idea is to keep the water to just below the strainer where the potatoes would sit.

many thanks

GAH, why did I read this thread????  I have a couple of gift certificates to use from Amazon......do I need all the bells and whistles of the newest model?  Probably not.....but it looks cool.  I do wish I could pressure can in it, though......

• Like 2

I would get the 7-in-1 IP-DUO 50 or 60 (the 50 is smaller by a quart and from what I understand that is lost in the diameter not the height and also a bit cheaper I think) if I were you, Shelby - if you have enough credit at Amazon. I think you will get more use out of the 60, mind you. No, you can't pressure can in it but I am certain you will find it VERY handy for almost everything else you do. You will love it - if you don't, I will buy it from you and give it to Anna. (Anna - don't hold your breath as I am absolutely certain Shelby will love it).

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 2

I would get the 7-in-1 IP-DUO 50 or 60 (the 50 is smaller by a quart and from what I understand that is lost in the diameter not the height and also a bit cheaper I think) if I were you, Shelby - if you have enough credit at Amazon. I think you will get more use out of the 60, mind you. No, you can't pressure can in it but I am certain you will find it VERY handy for almost everything else you do. You will love it - if you don't, I will buy it from you and give it to Anna. (Anna - don't hold your breath as I am absolutely certain Shelby will love it).

Thank you for the thought. But no breath holding going on here. I have read so many positive reviews that I am certain Shelby will not give it up if she goes for it and the amount of game she cooks it can only be a benefit to her I would think. I totally understand about phony reviews but I do not believe most of these are phony.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

The devil and eG made me do it.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

AnnaN   I do look forward to your views.

congratulations.

There are so many things I want to try that I find myself paralyzed with indecision. But you I know you will appreciate this:

image.jpg

Already has notes in it gleaned from eG and elsewhere, lists of recipes and their source, lists of books and websites, etc. etc. They did not have any red ones!

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

You Bet !

" engineering " paper !

im a bit bereft that North of the Border they were all out of the Red version

So it Goes.

I plan to be Quite Polite.

I won't ask for a few Measurements until Monday.

by then Ill have at least made RedBliss potato's in my favor.

unless it gets hot again !

You Bet !

" engineering " paper !

im a bit bereft that North of the Border they were all out of the Red version

So it Goes.

I plan to be Quite Polite.

I won't ask for a few Measurements until Monday.

by then Ill have at least made RedBliss potato's in my favor.

unless it gets hot again !

Purchased in Buffalo! No red covers. I was quite devastated. But it didn't stop me from buying three of them to be on the safe side.

I am quite willing to document my learning curve with this new toy but would hate to bore people. I know you would enjoy it and get some pleasure out of it but others might find it just too dull for words.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

can't personally ever imagine any of the Lunch Ladies "dull."   In any way.

words or not.

just saying.

of course, there is one thorny issue.  it's not in any way thorny for me :

CS.jpg

Id bet CkThighs are tasty in the BVXL

then there are those CkTh's that come out of the CSB.

( documented in  many places and not just by me   :raz: )

just saying.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I am quite willing to document my learning curve with this new toy but would hate to bore people. I know you would enjoy it and get some pleasure out of it but others might find it just too dull for words.

I would love to hear about your exploration of this new tool! And, if anyone was actually bored by it, they don't have to read the thread, right?!   :wink:

So I am hoping that you will share your adventures!!!!!  

• Like 2

Add me to the list of interested readers.  I'm not sure I should be paying attention to this topic, lest I find myself working out what has to leave the kitchen to make room for a new multi-pot.  Nonetheless, I'm interested.  Willing to be tempted.   :raz:

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Congratulations Anna, I'm sure you'll enjoy it and the lovely food out of it. Might it make the trip to Manatoulin this fall?

They are well packed aren't they, that outer box could survive being thrown off a roof!

An aside, how much did you save by picking it up across the border as opposed to Amazon.ca?

p

Congratulations Anna, I'm sure you'll enjoy it and the lovely food out of it. Might it make the trip to Manatoulin this fall?

They are well packed aren't they, that outer box could survive being thrown off a roof!

An aside, how much did you save by picking it up across the border as opposed to Amazon.ca?

p

I'm sorry to have misled you but it was not the Instant Pot that I purchased south of the border but the grid-lined notebook! rotuts encourages all of us to keep notes about our cooking adventures and his favorite notebook is grid-lined with a red cover.

But you are certainly correct about the packaging. And here is a little tidbit about the delivery of my pot that I found quite touching. I live in a townhouse complex where the houses are very close together. The mail person had put the package on my back step but as you know the package clearly identifies the contents. So that those contents would be not so visible to my neighbors or anyone with evil on their mind, my mail person had placed my blue recycle bin in front of it to hide its contents!

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

So for those who have shown an interest in how I get along with my new toy here we go.

I waited most of the day for the package to arrive and it finally made it here around 3:30 PM. After unpacking it, glancing at the QuickStart guide and the instruction manual I decided to "cook" a cup of water. Putting the lid on and locking it in place was not quite as easy as the videos led me to believe but that's because seeing black arrows on black plastic is for much younger eyes than mine! Once I got that sorted I found myself totally unable to move the steam release valve to the sealing position. I looked at the videos, rechecked the instruction manual and after about half an hour realized that I was not supposed to move the valve to the word "sealing" but to the inscrutable symbol. I admit to feeling quite foolish once I figured it out.

So I had the water in the pot, had the lid sealed and the valve in the correct place for cooking under pressure. I set the time to 10 minutes and looked for the "start" button but there is none. Once you have set the controls the way you want them the IP starts automatically into its program. When it reaches full pressure it does then steam just as the stove top ones do so if you are the nervous type this can be startling. But once it has vented steam for a very short time it becomes silent and the evidence you have that it is in fact cooking is that the time on the front panel counts down.

image.jpg

So here it is after it has been programmed and before it has reached pressure.

When the cooking time was up the IP signaled that it had finished and I left it alone for the pressure to drop naturally. Almost immediately after the cooking time was complete it switched automatically to keep warm mode and the time begin counting up. I did not realize that I could cancel this keep warm mode so I unplugged the unit. It has no off switch.

Satisfied that it worked fine with just waterin there I had to decide what would be my first dish.

One of the things that most fascinated me while I was surfing the web about the IP was poached eggs. I love poached eggs but cooking them is a hit and miss affair for me. Anything that promises success gets my attention. And so the first thing to come out of my new toy would be "poached" eggs. In quotation marks because poached has a clearly defined meaning and though these turned out to be indistinguishable in taste and texture from the real thing I will leave the quotation marks in place.

The technique I found described is to break the eggs into silicon poaching pods, add 1 cup of water to the IP with the trivet or a steaming rack in place, select the steam function, reduce the time to three minutes and then use the quick release method of bringing the pressure down.

image.jpg

So here they are in buttered, silicon pods (all ready to go off to a charity as I never used them!), sitting in mason jar rings for stability.

image.jpg

And voilà. Perfectly "poached" eggs atop a homemade English muffin and steamed spinach.

It would have been a fine supper had I taken into account the time it takes for the IP to reach pressure. Instead I had counted only three minutes so in the end the muffins and spinach cooled down considerably before the eggs were ready.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

p

Realize that I missed a part of your question. Manitoulin is still a few weeks away and there are a number of issues still to be resolved so we shall have to see how it all pans out.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog