• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What side down in knife block?

heidih

I am no knife nerd and will continue my habits, but.... I saw an image of knives stored sharp side up in  block and it seemed like "what is wrong with this picture?". However, when I showed it to someone they said it was the proper way so weight of knife does not force sharp side into wood.

What do you do and why?

Sharp side up.

If there is any moisture on the blade, by having the sharp edge up, there will be more room for the moisture to evaporate. Important especially for carbon knives.

"---so weight of knife does not force sharp side into wood.--"

??? So you don't damage the wood or the knife? 

dcarch 

Hey I thought the weight thing was goofy too....

Same person used that to say why newer blocks often have horizontal slits

Edited by heidih (log)

Down.  You would prob get more "bumps" from awkwardly holding a knife upside down to insert it instead of letting it slide into place as designed..  Some safety concerns about knives being upside down when friend/vistors expect them to be stored conventionally as well.

• Like 1

I'm going with down.  The damage issue might be valid if the block was metal or stone, but I'd think the whole point of wooden blocks was to provide a relatively knife-friendly surface.  And certainly more finger-friendly than a turned-up blade.  Yuk!

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

It was always edge up when I had knife blocks with vertical slots, attempting to keep the edge as pure as possible. I have moved on to horizontal-slot knife blocks as seen in my avatar.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

My Block..  for general use knife.

I would say my two blocks  the blades are side slide..  as when I put them to rest.  I try not to allow the blade edge to run on  the wood.  but just rest at its final inserted place.

Otherwise..  I do have Magnets  for most others

'

I would say as long as the blade doest  glide on wood and just rests.. little damage would be done

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

My knife block has vertical slots for the steak knives and horizontal slots for the rest.  I store the steak knives sharp side up.  No particular reason except I thought it would be nicer to the wood over time.  When I owned a restaurant, the health dept. told us not to use a knife block but use a magnetic strip instead. 

• Like 1

When was the last time you clean and sanitize the inside slots of your knife block ?

After a few years of use, what do you think is inside ?

With the sharp edge side up, it seems to me it would be the most sanitary way.

dcarch

• Like 2

How do you suggest cleaning a 1/8" wide slot that is 12" deep?

If it (knife block slots) had two open ends you could wrap a ruler with a cotton guaze and clean it like a rifle barrel, but alas, the slots have only one end. No mystery why the health inspectors don't want to see them....

I always clean and dry mine before I put them up. I find restaurant rules are for worst case possibilities where there are lot of  busy and tired people using the kitchen all day and who don't know what someone else has done.  They aren't likely to be a problem in a domestic kitchen with one or two people who use the kitchen once or twice a day.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

My knife block is in a drawer and so storing knives edge side up would present the edges to unaware fingers, edge down and regular honing keeps them in tip top shape anyway.

Mine's the same (hence, perhaps, my somewhat blinkered response above).

And I discovered last night that storing the knives sharp-side-up isn't possible in my block, even if I wanted to - they don't fit!

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Edge up. I take knives out by handle. Can't see how you'd ever cut yourself: given how clumsy I am and the fact that I've never cut myself, I consider that proof positive.

• Like 1

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

No one's ever shown that it makes any difference. The old argument is that edge-down wears out the edges, since you're rubbing them against the wood. But you rub them against wood a lot harder when you cut things.

My block holds the blades sideways. I can imagine this causing problems with carbon steel blades (moisture could accumulate between the wood and the big flat surface of the blade). But it doesn't happen. Never has, even in the most humid conditions. 

The only issue I would have with with the edges pointing up is the extra bit of contortion required when grabbing or putting away. Don't see any danger here, just don't see any reason to do it this way.

You can safely get whichever knife block you like most. Consider the orientation of the blades an esthetic choice.

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

Down.

IMO, this is mostly an Angels-on-Pinheads question in terms of maintenance.  But since I keep my knives in a drawer block/tray, I don't want anyone (well, some specific people would be OK) getting cut when they reach into the drawer.