• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Twelve years with eGullet

Alex

March 2004.

I came here when I outgrew the King Arthur Baking Circle.

I am completely shocked to find that it has been 11 years.  I can't imagine life without eGullet.  It enriches my life on a daily basis.  I've learned so much I could learn no where else, and certain regulars here are secret mentors.

And I love having an ongoing cultural connection.  Recipes that are ingrained in my life and the lives of my loved ones came from the kitchens of many people here.  I'm very grateful to the folks who keep us going.

• Like 5

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Wow. I hadn't thought much about it but apparently it was Jan 2004! 
This place was a business incubator for me. I had ideas, we had discussions and I look back and think I was the right guy in the right place at the right time. I was very lucky and I thank you, eG! 

• Like 8

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

29 Jan 2007 ..I just found my alcoholic time capsule from my first days here ..so while i have resumed posting a bit you may not hear from me much while I am doing intensive tastings 

• Like 4
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Hey y'all,

I think I have the Newbiest of the Nubes title, at least of anyone who has dared to post. In another month and a half I will have been a member for a whole year!   :laugh: I had enjoyed the rich knowledge and erudite discourse on the site as a guest visitor for over a decade, which sadly has become a rarity on the internet. I can be a bit reserved, but I dived in here.

I finally got tired of not being able to answer direct questions where I knew I could try to make a contribution. I'm so glad I did finally join and have been able to speak and interact directly with some of the fine people here.

Now, if we could have a culture a wee bit more welcoming to newcomers, I think we could foster more membership, ensuring the longevity of the eG which we all love. I can relate to Kerry's statement about growing a thicker skin, but I do my best to hang in.

I have learned so much here, and I'm grateful to every single one of you who continues to enrich my culinary life so quickly, way beyond the boundaries of what is possible on my own with even books and unguided research. I consider this the mecca for mentors in food, and I'm honored to be among all of you.  :wub:

Thanks for putting up with me,

TftC

• Like 7

> ^ . . ^ <

Wow, I'm coming up on only 5 years this November. I'm a youngster!

Ah! But your contributions are mature and interesting.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

March 2004.

I came here when I outgrew the King Arthur Baking Circle.

I also spent some time on King Arthur Baking Circle a couple years before joining egullet, also in 2004!

So many people I miss: Chufi from Holland, Hathor living part of her time in Umbria part in NY, Foodman, Pontormo. I also miss a lot RRO and too long of a list.

• Like 7

This is quite a trip down memory lane!  I miss lots of people who just don't drop by any more... Lucy from France was always fun to read, as was Abra who rearranged her life to go to France... But then again, I probably went a year between posts there during periods as well, and I was dropping in to read regularly.  Perhaps the allure and ?income of blogging redirected some folks creative endeavors away from here...

Edited by cdh (log)
  • Like 2

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

This is quite a trip down memory lane!  I miss lots of people who just don't drop by any more... Lucy from France was always fun to read, as was Abra who rearranged her life to go to France... But then again, I probably went a year between posts there during periods as well, and I was dropping in to read regularly.  Perhaps the allure and ?income of blogging redirected some folks creative endeavors away from here...

Abra has a blog about her experiences in France; check out frenchletters.wordpress.com - her writing is often touching, insightful, thought-provoking and heart-warming.

• Like 6

I joined as a new year's resolution January 1, 2005. I'm more of a lurker than a poster. Although I post a ton of stuff on Instagram.

• Like 1

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

• 1 year later...

September 2003 for me.  I first heard about eGullet when our local paper ran Fat Guy's column's about his eating trip across Canada.  We were planning our first  trip to the Atlantic provinces  at the time, so we used many of excellent his recommendations.  

The Vancouver forum was very lively in the old days, but is pretty much dead now.  Too bad, it was a great group.

• Like 2

I wish I could remember how I originally found Egullet.  I do recall that some shift in the software provoked me to finally register, after I had been lurking anonymousy for quite a while.  My profile says that I joined in January 2003.  I have not been the most prolific poster, but for almost all of my adult life, Egullet has been my go-to for any question on food.  It has perhaps not been as transformative for me as it has been, for say gfron1, but it has still been one of the greatest influences on my experience of food. 

When I first joined, I knew little, but thought I knew plenty.  I was still welcomed warmly by many signatures that I would love to see again.  But I still enjoy reading new voices, and gaining from the experiences of new participants in the forum.  Thank you to all of you for your sharing!

• Like 6

Apparently I joined in January 2004, while living in Edmonton. I was absent for several years in between, though...didn't have much time to participate starting in the summer of 2007, when I opened my restaurant, and only returned again (on any kind of regular basis) this past autumn. 

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2016 for me! LOL.

I found this site via Eat Your Books. I think it was Frogcake who posted the link. Unfortunately, I don't think you can post links at EYB anymore.

I just love cookbooks. I love cooking through them. I love reading about other people's opinions about them. Egullet has been a great resource and has motivated me to try things I would never have done before. I still have a long way to go but it's good to surround myself with people who are more experienced so I know there's room for improvement.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Smokeydoke said:

2016 for me! LOL.

I found this site via Eat Your Books. I think it was Frogcake who posted the link. Unfortunately, I don't think you can post links at EYB anymore.

It was me. :)  I've been linking eGullet on most of the 800+ notes I've left on EYB...

And I am pretty sure you can still post links there.

• Like 6

I joined in 2006.  Found it when looking up recipes for infusing alcohols and came across the "weeniecello" thread.  Laughed and was so intrigued I had to investigate the web site. Just looked up the thread again and it was as funny as I had remembered it.  I needed a good laugh.

Lurk a lot more than I post, and have been absent for a while, but have learned and learned and learned! 

• Like 4

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

On 1/5/2017 at 4:43 PM, FrogPrincesse said:

It was me. :)  I've been linking eGullet on most of the 800+ notes I've left on EYB...

And I am pretty sure you can still post links there.

And FrogPrincesse, I have to thank you for all your posts over on EYB.  I use those comments frequently.  Always look up the recipe to see if there are any comments.  Yours are always so complete.  Thank you again and I hope to be better at posting comments on the recipes I make.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Just now, Okanagancook said:

And FrogPrincesse, I have to thank you for all your posts over on EYB.  I use those comments frequently.  Always look up the recipe to see if there are any comments.  Yours are always so complete.  Thank you again and I hope to be better at posting comments on the recipes I make.

Cheers.

You are very welcome! I think EYB is a fantastic tool, and that is why I decided to keep all my notes on there. It's very nice to hear that they are helpful to other people like you. :)

• Like 3